Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

FITNESS FRIDAY 11/23/18~ (GETTING BACK ON TRACK)!

User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean November 23rd, 2018

HEY EVERYONE!

Welcome back to our "FITNESS FRIDAY" Posts!... Its been awhile! I hope that everyone who celebrated, enjoyed the Thanksgiving Holiday!.. That brings me to "This weeks" topic. "GETTING BACK ON TRACK"!....

How many of you out there over-did it a little on the Thanksgiving dinner?.... Well lets discuss some things to keep moving forward and getting back on track today!...

Get back on track

We've all overdone it at a meal. No big deal. Live and learn and move on!

Why are we so hard on ourselves when we have a slip, especially when it comes to overeating? Its a good question, and one we're learning to answer with self-compassion, reality checks, and other ways of shifting our mindsets. Instead of aiming for perfection, it's more helpful to anticipate a setback like this, and plan to learn from it.

Nobody's perfect

Lets be honest: overeating happens. Whether you grabbed a snack without first asking yourself, Is this worth it?," or you overdid it at a post-work get together, its what you do NEXT that matters.

Lessons learned

Figuring out what might have led you to overeat can help you next time..... If you look back over such occasions, youll start to notice common themes. For example, you might be more likely to overeat when youre very hungry, when you're served large portions, when youre socializing, or when you eat dinner by yourself. Being more aware of these patterns means youll be better equipped to take small steps that will keep you on track (for example, have a healthy snack between meals to avoid getting too hungry).

Being kind to yourself

Overeating can leave you feeling ashamed, even stuck. No matter what, be kind to yourself, and turn your unhelpful thoughts around by giving them a reality check (Did I really "blow it forever"?), and coming up with a more realistic helpful thought instead (Yes, I overate at that meal. I'll track it, plan my next meal, and keep going). Changing your thoughts wont instantly change your weight, but it will be a big win toward developing positive, flexible, and healthy patterns that you can maintain for the long run. This will keep you moving in the right direction—and is a payoff all on its own!


PLAN FOR ACTIVITY

Now that we are heading into the holiday season and for some of us the "Winter" Season, that can mean "Less" activity and more hibernation!... What things are you doing to plan to "squeeze" in some type of activity?!.. Activity doesn't mean that you have to Hit the gym 24-hours a day... It just means "Getting up and moving your body more"! That can be in the way of a "simple walk" whether it be alone, with family or friends, or even taking your pet out for some play time! It can also be heading to the local mall or shopping center and walking around, burning off some extra calories while also doing something for yourself. It doesn't have to be a large amount, but simply starting small, or squeezing in 10 minutes here or there, can build up over time. And before you know it leads and builds up to more!... Even for those that may be more "confined"... simple "Chair exercises" can also help burn calories and allow you to squeeze in some type of activity! There are plenty of YouTube videos as well that can help you get started!

***WHAT THINGS ARE YOUR DOING OR WILL YOU BE DOING TO GET BACK ON TRACK TODAY?!!***

5
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP November 23rd, 2018

I have personally over-done it a bit for the Thanksgiving holiday, but, I planned for it, I enjoyed that time with my family, and I will proceed forward and move on. (Even though physically it didn't make me feel the best, and I felt very sluggish)

I will plan for lots of water today to help with flushing any excess sodium from the foods since this is something our bodies like to hang onto when we tend to over-do it..... I will also plan for a walk of some sort with my mom, my pet, and also heading to the stores to walk around a bit. I will also plan to do a DVD of some sort to help with getting activity and steps to reach my step goal that I set for myself daily.

User Profile: Sailor57
Sailor57 November 23rd, 2018

@PoliteOcean

I didn't really overdue it at all yesterday. I went on my longest run in over a year so I felt pretty good.

Today I'm up early and feeling pretty good. I'm going for a short run. The big thing for me is cutting back on the beer and wine. So I'm concentrating on that today.

User Profile: enlightenedTree32
enlightenedTree32 November 23rd, 2018

I will be doing some yoga!

User Profile: lovelyWords13
lovelyWords13 November 25th, 2018

I plan aqua fit class on Monday the Tues another aqua class the Wednesday legs bum tum class and Thursday cxworx so a better routine for me , though I need to plan meals as they both help still working on it . as you say not be too hard on yourself and try again :) I will need to push myself though the winter time as its more harder to get motivated .