Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

FITNESS FRIDAY 12/29/17 - How Much Exercise Can Improve Your Mood?

User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean December 29th, 2017

How Much Exercise Can Improve Your Mood?

With the Winter weather, shorter day light hours and Holiday season or stressors, it can be more challenging to get in workouts or activity.... Which can lead us to feeling more "sluggish, moody, or un-motivated".

Moving more can benefit your mental health...(even a 15-minute walk—can help to turn a frown upside down). Heres what you need to know to find your "Feel-good exercise".

Exercise and the Brain

There are so many things that happen to the body during a single workout—increased heart rate and metabolism, changes in neurochemical pathways—that it can be difficult to determine which actions lead to each change in the brain. But when it comes to mood, changes in the brain are relatively swift and easy to see. A single bout of exercise can change neurotransmitter levels in the brain, increasing dopamine, serotonin, and endorphins—all of which have been associated with a good mood and/or pain management. These neurochemicals are the brains natural opiate. Add exercise, and your brain turns on the feel-good chemicals almost instantly.

How Much is Enough?

Each persons reaction to exercise is different based on body composition and level of fitness, as well as the types of activity the individual enjoys and who she or he is doing it with. Rather than following a preset prescription, test your own likes and dislikes and monitor how you feel about 15 minutes after finishing different workouts, from a brisk 30-minute walk to an hourlong spin class. Keep an actual log, rating your mood on a scale of one to ten to help you pinpoint what types of activities serve you best. About 15 minutes after working out most people report higher mood states, regardless of the type of activity involved.

The Best Way to Get Mental Health Benefits from Exercise

One of the most beneficial effects of exercise comes from doing sweat sessions regulary. In a patient population with mood disorder, three months of consistent exercise led to a decrease in depressive symptoms equal to what youd get from using common antidepressants. Making exercise a daily part of your routine can actually make you more resilient when life could be bringing you down. Exercise is one of the easiest things you can do to modulate your mood. You know that it works. Its just about finding that optimum prescription for yourself and making physical movement fun. Any type of activity—from walking to line dancing to going on a light jog—will help your overall mood and health. So try out several different types, varying where you do it and how fast you get your heart pumping. Your body—and brain—will thank you.

EXAMPLES

Combining exercise with other things you like can also make your spirits soar:

**If music is your jam, keep adding to your playlist so that you get a double brain chemical boost during exercise.

**If you get a rush from hanging out with friends, invite your besties along for a walk and talk session.

**If youve found that the meditative effects of thinking or repeating a mantra work for you, come up with a few phrases you can rely on to automatically usher in a good mood.

**If nature gives you an instant sense of calm, work in regular hikes or bike rides.

What Winter Workouts or Activity are You doing or taking part in to BOOST Your Mood through this Winter and Holiday Season?!!

5
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP December 29th, 2017

For me, I find that I can very easily lose "motivation"... I need to keep a variety of things around to motivate me and increase my interest in working out.

Since I love to dance, Zumba classes surrounded by others (or teaching/instructing) helps me to keep going during the Winter and Holiday season. Even though It can be challenging for me to be around others due to anxiety and mood disorder, I do get tend to get "motivated" by being in a class where I can also feed off the "energy" of others. Or be inspired by another instructor. Such as Zumba OR my POUND Fitness classes.

On the days where I personally don't teach my own class or attend anothers, I keep a ton of Dvd's of things that keep my interests up such as Zumba, walking, and POUND Fitness videos. I will also start to incorporate my "Simply Fit Board" again. But for me, this can be alot more challenging in getting motivated to do on my own (without that outside motivation or energy)...But, you have to find something that is Fun and motivating for "you". I find if you find the "Fun" in it, that it will never truly seem like a workout!

User Profile: MoreThanAConqueror18
MoreThanAConqueror18 December 29th, 2017

@PoliteOcean

Thank you for the interesting and informative post! I have noticed that when I feel sluggish, exercising really helps me to get moving again, and improves my mood. I do a lot of walking, and I love doing stretches and dancing as well.

1 reply
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP December 29th, 2017

@MoreThanAConqueror18

You're welcome! I am glad you find this post beneficial to you and its great that you already know the benefits of getting up and getting moving. As well as how moving and activity can help to improve your mood. Its even more important during the Winter season when we don't have as much sunlight (which naturally improves our mood) :)

load more
User Profile: HopefulSong17
HopefulSong17 December 29th, 2017

Good post. Excercize is vital, there is always a correlation to mental/emotional. The sluggish modern way of living in the name of "comfort" and buying more stuff to feel better is a plague brought upon humanity.

1 reply
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP December 29th, 2017

@HopefulSong17

Thank you Hopeful.. I'm glad you find it beneficial and that you also see the correlation between exercise and mood.

load more