Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Indoor hydroponic (or other) vegetable garden

User Profile: hopefulPond6108
hopefulPond6108 February 2nd, 2023

Hi. I keep seeing these indoor hydroponic lettuce/vegetable garden things. I like the idea but I read you have to clean them regularly or they start to make your house smell. If you have one of these I’d be interested in hearing about how you like it and the pros/cons. Thank you.

2
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo February 2nd, 2023

@hopefulPond6108 I've used a really small one.

The issues I had with it were that it's so small I'm limited with what I can do with it and stevia never worked well in it. I've tried switching plants around from soil to water and vice versa and had little success, I have heard water roots are different than soil roots.

I didn't have any issues with cleanliness. It has a bubbler and needs more water fairly often (it is quite dry here) so that helps keep the water fresh.

I'm intrigued by the larger systems! I had considered doing something but it would be set up in the basement and hauling water would likely get old fast.

User Profile: hopefulPond6108
hopefulPond6108 OP February 2nd, 2023

@AffyAvo Thanks for your response. Yeah the size and how much it produces is probably a consideration. Fortunately no basement here but if I had to haul water downstairs all the time I would be reluctant too.

load more