Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Struggling with motivation and body image issues

User Profile: Levo
Levo July 14th, 2020

Hello everyone.

To put it simply I struggle a lot with my body image and exercise motivation. I've tried to talk to a bunch of Listeners about this but I never got far so I thought I'd make a post about it on here.

It's probably going to sound dumb and it might seem like I'm just stupid and stubborn. Long story short living in quarantine made me gain weight, and for the first time in my life I'm actually not happy about that. I mean, I've been overweight for years, but it never bothered me too much, but now it's different for some reason and it just grosses me out. I dislike my appearance in general for man reasons so it feels quite overwhelming now. So, obviously the goal would be to lose some weight and go back to "normal", but the thing is there's nothing I hate more in the world than exercising and I'd rather die than do that. Exercising is pure hell for me. Any kind of physical activity is like that to be honest. It's always painful, exhausting. It disgusts me. I'm already permanently exhausted because I'm depressed, and I'm soaked with sweat because I suffer from hyperhidrosis.

I can't force myself to do anything that will only make things worse for me. I can't force myself to do something that will make me pass out from exhaustion. I don't want more pain. I don't wanna feel even dirtier than I already do. So I just feel lost and stuck and hopeless. I have a reason to start working out, but I just don't wanna do it. I can't do it so I'm stuck with my body looking the way it looks. I don't know how to overcome this mental block I have. I just don't wanna add more suffering to my daily life. So... I don't know what to do.

I'd appreciate any and all insight on this and please feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks.

6
User Profile: atoms321
atoms321 July 15th, 2020

hey there! I totally understand how you feel. It can be so difficult to muster up the courage or motivation with everything else going on in the world.

I also can relate to the hyperhydrosis bit as well, it is so difficult and aggravating.

If you are into super strenous exercise, I HIGHLY recommend looking into "Yoga with Adrienne" on youtube. She "30 day" series which is a lovely introduction to yoga.

Let me know how it goes! You are not alone. You got this smileyheart

1 reply
User Profile: atoms321
atoms321 July 15th, 2020

@atoms321 i meant ***if you are not into strenous exercises, my apologies!

1 reply
User Profile: Levo
Levo OP July 19th, 2020

@atoms321 Hi. Thanks for the reply! You see, I've already been introduced to yoga. I had a stretching/yoga class in university for like, 6 months. I admit, it wasn't the worst kind of physical activity I've tried, but all it did was improve my flexibility. Which is not a bad thing, of course, but it doesn't have anything to do with weight loss and I just couldn't care less about it so I feel like it's not the right thing to do.

load more
load more
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean July 18th, 2020

@Levo

Hi there!

After reading over your post above, I can honestly say I can relate to what you are saying... I too was once incredibly overweight (brought on by stress, being homesick, college, a new move, un-healthy habits etc...) And at the TOP of that list HATING exercise of any source!.... but.. let me share with you that after years of struggling and not wanting to change my habits (or actually trying to and not succeeding), I became a ZUMBA/Fitness instructor!...

Sharing a bit of my story with you, plain and simple, I found something I LOVED to do!.. And thats the thing, ...finding something that you LOVE and it will NEVER seem like "Work"...

I hated walking, running, jogging, really anything that made me sweat or involved having to move or feel uncomfortable... For "me".. I literally stumbled upon my "First" Zumba class almost 10 years ago. And Never looked back. I was hooked from the first class. Fun music, just moving and doing something I loved (which was dancing)....Also there are literally TONS of videos on Youtube that can help get your started as well.. There's literally exercises that you can do right from your bed, or a chair (chair aerobics or workouts).... etc... Theres also an Instructor named LESLIE SANSONE ..look up her videos.. its literally "Walk From home" videos. Walking from the comfort of your own room, at your own pace! And you can build yourself up. She is AMAZING with great tunes! And LOTS of people I know have started with her!

As far as taking off weight, perhaps start with the very "basics"!... Don't be concerned with working out or exercising at first.. Perhaps just start with watching what you are eating and taking in?! Swap out sugary sweets for fruits, swap out juices and sodas for Ice water, or Flavored Water... Swap out salty snacks for cruncy veggies etc..... You don't have to start BIG.. you just have to be willing to "start".

Do you have a "pet"? Having a pet (particularly a Dog).. could possibly get you up and moving! It gets you motivated to take them outside and simply move and walk with them. Find a favorite place that you like or enjoy! Perhaps a nearby lake, or ball park, or local park etc...where you enjoy the scenery and just simply walk and enjoy taking it all in without thinking of it as 'exercise'!... Just simply making smaller changes can totally lead to BIGGER ones!

Also, as far as your medical issue, I'm not sure if you have spoke to a healthcare provider about it? But there are ways to help deal with that better as well. Such as meds or shots to help ease it. Perhaps you can talk to your provider about those options if you haven't already?!

We are here for you and to support you in any way that we can.! Don't hesistate to reach out to us any time! Best of luck on your continued journey.

1 reply
User Profile: Levo
Levo OP July 19th, 2020

@PoliteOcean Hi, thanks for the reply. The reason I focused on working out in my post is the fact that changes in diet have lierally no effect on me. My body simply doesn't care what it eats and in what amounts. Speaking from experience I know I can lose weight while eating nothing but pizza, but I don't lose weight if I eat healthier or eat less, but never work out.

load more