Exercise more effective than medicines to manage mental health, study shows

"University of South Australia researchers are calling for exercise to be a mainstay approach for managing depression as a new study shows that physical activity is 1.5 times more effective than counselling or the leading medications.
Published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, the review is the most comprehensive to date, encompassing 97 reviews, 1039 trials and 128,119 participants. It shows that physical activity is extremely beneficial for improving symptoms of depression, anxiety, and distress.
Specifically, the review showed that exercise interventions that were 12 weeks or shorter were most effective at reducing mental health symptoms, highlighting the speed at which physical activity can make a change.
The largest benefits were seen among people with depression, pregnant and postpartum women, healthy individuals, and people diagnosed with HIV or kidney disease.
According to the World Health Organization, one in every eight people worldwide (970 million people) live with a mental disorder. Poor mental health costs the world economy approximately $2.5 trillion each year, a cost projected to rise to $6 trillion by 2030. In Australia, an estimated one in five people (aged 16-85) have experienced a mental disorder in the past 12 months.
Lead UniSA researcher, Dr. Ben Singh, says physical activity must be prioritised to better manage the growing cases of mental health conditions.
"Physical activity is known to help improve mental health. Yet despite the evidence, it has not been widely adopted as a first-choice treatment," Dr. Singh says.
"Our review shows that physical activity interventions can significantly reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety in all clinical populations, with some groups showing even greater signs of improvement.
"Higher intensity exercise had greater improvements for depression and anxiety, while longer durations had smaller effects when compared to short and mid-duration bursts.
"We also found that all types of physical activity and exercise were beneficial, including aerobic exercise such as walking, resistance training, Pilates, and yoga.
"Importantly, the research shows that it doesn't take much for exercise to make a positive change to your mental health."
Senior researcher, UniSA's Prof. Carol Maher, says the study is the first to evaluate the effects of all types of physical activity on depression, anxiety, and psychological distress in all adult populations.
"Examining these studies as a whole is an effective way to for clinicians to easily understand the body of evidence that supports physical activity in managing mental health disorders.
"We hope this review will underscore the need for physical activity, including structured exercise interventions, as a mainstay approach for managing depression and anxiety.""
*I wanted to share this article not to say that medications and counseling don't help anxiety and depression, because they most certainly do, but to share the research that exercise is beneficial alongside therapy and medication. Exercise helps the body to release those feel-good hormones, which directly fight against depression and anxiety. Exercise, along with medication and/or therapy, are the best ways to help combat these feelings! I always love going for a walk when I may not be feeling my best because I know it will help my brain start to work against the anxious feelings.
**Do you exercise to help your mental health? What is your favorite activity to do?*
#Exercise #Serotonin #Depression #Anxiety
Please find the full article at ScienceDaily.
If you liked this article, you may like this one on exercise and mental health.
@fruityPond7887
Thank you for another great article!
As both a Nurse and Fitness Instructor, we have definitely come to learn that "Exercise" is a highly "under-utilized" drug for Anxiety and Depression (and mental health issues)!
And yes, by all means I would never try to deter anyone from seeking "Professional" Help from a Licensed Medical Healthcare Provider. But exercise has been proven to have many great benefits when it comes to Mental Health & Wellbeing! And we should certainly "utilize" it just like any other "medication" or option to help when we can and are able!
I know anytime that I am able to "Move" my body and do what I "Enjoy" (Dancing, Swimming etc..) that it has definitely improved my overall mood.
@PoliteOcean I love that you enjoy doing things that move your body more! I think just finding things we enjoy doing is key to being more active. I think sometimes people can rely too much on medication, and some providers prescribe a little too quickly. Exercise is always great!
@fruityPond7887
Yes absolutely! I totally agree!
@fruityPond7887 very nice post. Yes, I agree completely. Exercise brings me more joy than anything else. It's almost like a mindfulness activity for me.
I wish everyone finds the joy and benefits like that. If not from exercise then from something else 😊
@DonaldDraper Aww I love that so much Donald! I am really happy that exercise brings you so much joy and I wish it did the same for me, but we all have our own little things that we love! Thank you for sharing! 💘