Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Why does this digital world feel better than real life?

User Profile: Creamyyy
Creamyyy July 14th, 2025



Why do we feel better talking to folks on cups than irl?

In wondering...and here's my understanding....

1. We hear peoples compassion in words. We can know it with certainty. We express our feelings. Irl this rarely happens because people mask their softness from fear of being judged.

2. There is no confusing body language to contradict the message - which often happens irl - and we wonder about the sincerity of the person. (This could go the other way too because sometimes irl body language can convince us of a person's honesty which we may not figure out on the digital platform.)

3. Real life is too fast paced. There is hardly any time for deep talks or gentleness. I feel this is where the real problem lies. Because of the quickness - which comes across as coldness - we need to turn to an alternate world where we can fill the void with the warmth.

4. Anonymity. I think this really lets down our guard. We share our honest stories. For me this is great because I have always wanted to connect with the truth of peoples lives and share the same from mine. And yes irl we have to exercise more caution from being vulnerable.

5. This particular place feeds reflection on many social issues causing stress and mental health illnesses. This topic brings knowledge from studies and experiences of people, and makes the connection therapeutic.

What do you think?

7
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 July 14th, 2025

@Creamyyy

I think when we are online, and especially if we have had previous bad experiences, the anonymity gives us freedom. People can be shallow, judgemental, base their conversations around your looks or their attraction to you, whereas online, it's about the true heart of the person and that is the only thing you have to go off 💜🥰

User Profile: Creamyyy
Creamyyy OP July 14th, 2025

@Amanda84 yeah i totally agree. There is no looks based judgment when you're only reading someone's words. Also - there is no possibility of mind reading - when you do not see a face.

User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 July 14th, 2025

@Creamyyy

And presence is stronger, less distracted!

load more
load more

I agree with most of these. Especially where real life is fast paced and it's not a place of softness. People are required to where masks a lot and focus more on their goals and just having fun.

I do have to say I really do value my time on 7cups, finding you all and this place of an understanding non-judgmental uplifting community is such a blessing. I hope I find something similar in real life too.

Cheers!! xx

User Profile: Creamyyy
Creamyyy OP July 15th, 2025

I totally agree with all you said. ♥️

@MadeInHisImageButOffBrand

load more
User Profile: eternalHero77
eternalHero77 July 15th, 2025

@Creamyyy

Digital world is never better than life. However dat bein’ said digital world c’n help many times as da world c’n be a hard place to be in dat as great as life may be we get bruised by those around us an having digital for a moment helps to soften those bruises.

User Profile: Creamyyy
Creamyyy OP July 15th, 2025

Real life has its good moments.... but digital life is sometimes more real than real life.... I need both ... but what i really want is a calmer real life... I dont know if thats possible within the constraints of my personality and circumstances 🤔

@eternalHero77

load more