Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Nights out lead to sleepless nights

User Profile: PenguinFriend8880
PenguinFriend8880 June 25th, 2016

Lately I've started to actually drink and go out more, but whenever I get home late with even just a tiny amount of alcohol in my blood, I can't sleep. Whenever I start to get sleepy or close my eyes, I start to shake and my body just jerks unwillingly. I get these kind of hallucinations, if you could call it that; where I'm kind of dreaming of being at the party or being surrounded by people. It's rather scary, cause I feel awake but I can't control the dream. After a couple of hours I'll drift off, but meanwhile it horrible. I get scared to go out and knowing that I'll have a hard and shitty time falling asleep.

What causes this? And what can I do to make it stop?

1
User Profile: SilentSerenityy
SilentSerenityy June 25th, 2016

@PenguinFriend8880

It sounds like a common experience induced by alcohol. Your mind will be spinning and doing weird things due to the alcohol and going from a loud and busy environment to a still, quiet one, gives it a bit of a shock. You might want to look into hypnic jerks, it's quite a common thing, I get it too. Alcohol can bring on a lot of things. You also disrupt your normal sleeping routine, seeing as you'll stay up late on a night out, your mind isn't prepared for the late night.

I would recommend drinking less when you go out, if this is really bothering you.