Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Going Vegetarian or Vegan?

User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic July 21st, 2022

Are you a veggie or do you just want to eat less meat?

I am looking for recipes and food ideas for veggie/plant based meals.
what are the best protein sources for vegetarian meals?

And I know that people here will have loads of good ideas to share!

plant-based-buddha-bowl.jpg?quality=82&strip=1


Listening - One Step At A Time!

14
User Profile: jayames
jayames July 21st, 2022

Hi

2 replies
User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic OP July 21st, 2022

@jayames Hi! Welcome! How are you today? Do you have any recipes or tips to share aboutplant based diets?

Listening - One Step At A Time!

1 reply
User Profile: jayames
jayames July 21st, 2022

I haven't anything now

load more
load more
User Profile: peacecat
peacecat July 21st, 2022

Hi, I think Pinterest is a good resource for veg/vegan recipes…also there are some great vegan/veg cookbooks out now. If you have a good local library or bookstore, taht’s where I’d start

1 reply
User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic OP July 21st, 2022

@peacecat Good tip thanks!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

load more
September 6th, 2022

@MistyMagic

Is the picture you posted a Buddha bowl? It looks so good. 😍

Are you a vegetarian or do you just want to eat less meat?

I grew up mostly vegetarian, started eating meat in school, and now I just want to eat less meat.

what are the best protein sources for vegetarian meals?

chickpeas, tofu, tempeh, lentils, mushrooms, peanuts, quinoa, chia seeds, beans, sprouts...🤔


2 replies
User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic OP September 7th, 2022

@Helpingheart23 Yes it is! Well spotted!

I imagine that being vegan or veggie at school must have been very hard.

Your list is interesting, is that in order of your favourites?

Listening - One Step At A Time!

1 reply
September 7th, 2022

@MistyMagic

I imagine that being vegan or veggie at school must have been very hard.

Yes, it was.

Your list is interesting, is that in order of your favourites?

No, those are just the things I usually eat at vegetarian/vegan meals at home. I forgot to add cashew butter, tahini, and almond milk.

load more
load more
User Profile: amicableWater4529
amicableWater4529 October 19th, 2022

@MistyMagic I have the best recipes but they're on my personal website that is private info. I recommend recetas de gri on youtube - closest to what I make.

User Profile: TheAutumnWitch
TheAutumnWitch October 20th, 2022

@MistyMagic

Hi there!

I’m not vegetarian, but my diet has been changing to eat less meat and more veggies. A few of my favorites include broccoli, chickpeas and tofu, all of which have good levels of protein. I’m no expert chef, but I cook a little, so I’ll share one of my favorite recipes with you!

~Lemon garlic broccoli~

You need:

-1 to 2 heads of broccoli

-3 cloves of garlic

-Lemon juice

-Salt and pepper

-Olive oil

Wash and cut the broccoli into bite-size florets. Then chop the garlic as rough or fine as you like. Heat a pan with a little bit of olive oil. When it’s hot, throw in the garlic and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Then add the broccoli. Season with salt and pepper to your taste, and add more olive oil if needed so it doesn’t stick to the pan. Pour in a little bit of lemon juice, maybe like a tablespoon, and keep stir-frying for 3-4 minutes. The broccoli should be vibrant green and a little crispy. Serve.

I know the measurements aren’t specific; that’s because I eyeball most of them. But I hope you enjoy if you do try this out!

User Profile: xandia
xandia October 20th, 2022

@MistyMagic

I am a vegetarian. Here is a recipe I enjoy making.

CREAMY PARMESAN TOMATO SOUP

Ingredients:

1 tbsp. butter

1/2 medium onion, diced

3 tsp. Italian seasoning

1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

3 tbsp. all purpose flour

3 tbsp. tomato paste

3 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth

1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes

4 cups cheese tortellini

1/3 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan

3 cups spinach, packed

Kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

2 tbsp. thinly sliced basil, for garnish

STEP ONE

In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 4 to 6 minutes. Add Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and flour, whisk to combine, and cook one minute more.

STEP TWO

Add tomato paste and cook until darkened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer, add and cook the tortellini until it is tender and cooked through, about 10 minutes.

STEP THREE

Add the cream and Parmesan and stir to combine, then add spinach and let wilt. Season to taste with salt and pepper, garnish with basil and serve.

~If you prefer heartier greens, you can substitute kale or broccoli rabe for the spinach. Just add 5 minutes after the tortellini.

xandia❤️













:




User Profile: Kester
Kester October 20th, 2022

Hello.

I agree with what others have said before me about protein sources. Especially chickpeas and lentils, (or any pulses/legumes, either tinned or dried.).

They are so versatile and depending on how you cook them and how much water you use, you can make soups, stews, burgers, cutlets etc. with few other ingredients.

Happy cooking.

User Profile: teenytinyturtle
teenytinyturtle October 20th, 2022

@MistyMagic

I am not vegan or vegetarian but would like to be when I am able to cater for myself on a regular basis as parents understandably won't cook two meals. We all try to cut down meat.

I love the Bosh! book. I think there are three books by the same authors, but I heard from my cousin that the others are fairly repetitive. It is a vegan book, but you can easily not use substitutes. There are pages where you pick one from each section, which makes sure you have the right variety and nutrients etc. some really lovely meals! I believe you can find them online too if you don't want to get the book.

User Profile: EmotionsListener
EmotionsListener October 20th, 2022

@MistyMagic

I have lots of vegetarian and vegan recipes, but I also enjoy converting some standard recipes to vegetarian. With the cold weather this week one recipe that comes to mind is cabbage roll casserole. The increase in plant based protein options has made it easier to convert this to a vegan version. I simply use a plant based protein 'ground', tvp or even lentils in place of the ground meat. What I love about this dish is how easy it is to make, not to mention inexpensive!

Vegan Cabbage Roll Casserole

  • 12oz/340g Plant-Based Protein "ground"
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil (or more as needed as the plant based ground can require more)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ⅛ tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 3 tbsp rice
  • 1 can condensed tomato soup (10oz/284ml)
  • 10oz/284ml water
  • 3 cups of cabbage, coarsely shredded or chopped

Sauté plant-based ground in oil for 1 min. Add onion, rice, and seasonings. Sauté 2-3 min more. Add condensed soup and water, mix well. Place chopped cabbage in a greased casserole dish, pour plant-based mixture over the cabbage. Cover and bake at 350℉/180℃, for 1 ½ hours.

Hope you enjoy if you decide to try it!