Integrity and Authenticity
Integrity and authenticity are qualities that connect strongly with several of the Inner Development Goals (IDG) domains, especially Being, Relating, and Acting. I think they are important because they influence not only how we understand ourselves, but also how we interact with other people and how we put our values into practice.
Within the Being domain, authenticity can mean developing a clearer understanding of who we are, what we value, and what matters to us. It can be easy to change ourselves depending on the people around us or to focus so much on other people's expectations that we lose touch with our own thoughts and feelings. Being authentic does not mean sharing everything with everyone. Instead, it can mean being honest with ourselves and making choices that feel consistent with our values.
Integrity connects closely with the Acting domain because it involves putting our values into practice. It is one thing to say that something is important to us, but another to act according to that belief when it becomes difficult or inconvenient. Integrity does not mean being perfect. Sometimes it means admitting that we made a mistake, taking responsibility, and trying to act differently next time.
There is also an important connection to Relating. When we communicate honestly and respectfully, while still maintaining healthy boundaries, we can build trust with others. Authenticity can help relationships feel more genuine, while integrity can help people feel that they can rely on us.
For me, developing these qualities means regularly asking myself: Are my actions consistent with my values? Am I being honest with myself about what I think and feel? These questions can help turn the IDG concepts from abstract ideas into something we can practice in everyday life.
Now, I have these questions for you everyone:
Which IDG domain do you think has the strongest connection to integrity and authenticity, and why?
What helps you stay true to your values while still being respectful of other people's perspectives and boundaries?
@RoshanaShabanii
I stay true to my own values through grounding and self examination.
It's important for me to trust my own instincts and stay true to what I believe in and advocate for what I see to be true.
But that doesn't stop me from listening to others, learning and respecting that we all have different upbringings, environments and experiences.
I can still hold space for others truths and values whilst holding firm to my own.
Respect doesn't have to diminish what you hold dear 🥰
@Amanda84 So beautifully put. You somehow made the main point of what i was trying to say even more clear. I actually do agree with you.