Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Dealing with homophobic parents...

User Profile: DaisyFluffinq
DaisyFluffinq July 11th, 2019

I'm sorry if this shouldn't be on this thread but I'm very distressed...

So for some background i indentify as a cis female, so far I'm Asexual but Panromantic. Very cheesily romantic. I've had crushes on a lot of different people and I've felt this way for a while (I'm a teen, also)

So in october i met this adorable girl through similar intrests (we're to die for the same show, and aspiring artists and writers) she's literally the most incredible thing in the world and she was so kind and gentle, and I quickly fell in love with her. In march she confessed her own feelings for me and we kinda spent some time in a love limbo before i asked her to be my girlfriend two weeks later!

However, we're online friends. Nonono don't worry we've video chatted and everything and she's a-ok and who she says she is! And she lives a state above me so we want to meet. And I am somewhat scared of my mom but I want her support very bad. She says we can meet but she doesn't know we're in a relationship.

Basically, what ended up happening was me and my mom had a very emotional day today, it's a long story but i ended up letting it slip that I liked girls. I explained to her that i wasn't sexually attracted but liked romantic relationships. Normally I'm not very cuddly at all but with my girlfriend I flirt constantly (in a good way, bad pickup lines) i compliment her, drive everyone else in the discord server we're in crazy from all tge 'ily's and hearts we send. I've helped her through some stuff when nobody else would, and vice versa. I didn't tell my mom who it was or that I was even in a relationship, because I backed down when she said she'd never support me in a same-sex relationship. She said I didn't know what I was doing and I was going to go into chaos for being lesbian (not even because of being made fun of or anything, just by being les) and she insists that I don't love any girls and im just confused (discord people will say otherwise) and how she's going to pull me out of all these programs I'm in (I am homeschooled and if I'm not in those I'm not with anyone) and how se kept saying that it was ok and that she was gonna fix me and she said it was the internet corrupting me so she was gonna take it away, how i was a sinner for being who I am??? (Shes super Catholic) and how she was so mad at me and she was clearly very ashamed of me... She's completely baffled to as of why I'm mad as well... She kept saying that it was so severe like it was the end of the world... Also that a lot of hate crimes didn't happen, so... Also this is the tip of the iceberg of all the things she said but this is already long enough

I would talk to my gf about this, but she just left to go to a mandatory camp and then elsewhere for 2 weeks and I'm just... Not sure what to do or how to handle this...

My mother is also pretty stubborn and also probably will not change her mind, and also is very good at not handling situations well... She might relax a bit but will still be unsupportive... And I completely love my girlfriend with all my heart and would 100% fight for this girl. If someone took the time to read all of this, or even click thank you so much by the way. And even more if you left any kind of comment of support, tysm 💕🌈

8
User Profile: Jennifer164
Jennifer164 July 11th, 2019

@DaisyFluffinq Hey there, I'm so sorry that you are in this situation, it can be really tough to deal with. Being LGBTQ+ and having a homophobic family myself, I understand where you're coming from. I'm really glad that you are accepting of who you are and have found someone you love.

I'm not sure whether or not your mother will be supportive but it is a probability that she may be able to change her beliefs about it gradually after she sees how happy you are in a same-sex relationship. Please don't hesitate to seek help if your mother tries to do something related to gay conversation therapy.

I hope things get better for you and your mother is able to realize that there is nothing wrong with this. Please contact me by leaving a message if you feel like talking about it. Take care of yourself. heart

2 replies
User Profile: DaisyFluffinq
DaisyFluffinq OP July 11th, 2019

@Jennifer164 Thank you! I the thing is, though, I'm afraid she wont think im happy if I want to meet my gf. She doesn't know about her yet (one thing at a time) but knowing I'm pan was enough for her to say and do some terrible things that would already ruin my social life pretty good, let alone with my gf... I am positive that, knowing her, she would take away all my electronics so I wouldn't be in the relationship... She already tried but last night said that I could be with my friends for a while because it had been a long day and she thinks im suffering because of my lesbian side...

Also yes, if she tries to make me do conversion therapy I'll probably call the police or something... She might take me to a regular therapist that has anti-lgbtq veiws, though.

But thank you for your advice...! I really appreciate it!

User Profile: DaisyFluffinq
DaisyFluffinq OP July 11th, 2019

@Jennifer164 Also, re-reading your post, I thought I should go ahead and send you best wishes for you and your parents 💕

load more
User Profile: ThePizza
ThePizza July 13th, 2019

@DaisyFluffinq

Im not sure that I have any specific advice but I did want to send a message of support. I am very sorry that your mother has said those things to you. Although I know this may not be realistic I hope one day shell learn to be more supportive and accepting of you. Congratulations on meeting your girlfriend though! Good luck meeting in person. She sounds awesome :)

A side note… I think its so cool that youre panromantic asexual, because I am too! Im always worrying that my orientation is too specific or invalid.

I wish you the best of luck

User Profile: sociableSky577
sociableSky577 July 20th, 2019

@DaisyFluffinq

hey! i could say i'm going through a similar situation with my parents. they have said that what i'm doing is a disgusting and that it's a phase. i would tell you to just embrace youself and be okay with who you are and then show your mom how happy you could be with anyone of any gender... maybe she'll consider your happiness over any belief. I hope everything works out and i wish you luck and lots of love :)