Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I am aroace and I think my friend is homophobic/being radicalized. What should I do?

User Profile: Researcher385
Researcher385 June 7th, 2023

Hi, I'm Prodraxis (she/her), and I am a cisgender aroace person who supports LGBTQ 100%.

My friend, (let's call her Pikachu), is a cishet girl (she/her) and she's Christian. We first met each other via an online forum. I became friends with her initially because we both loved text-based roleplaying and she seemed like a cool person to me.

Recently, I've found her turning more and more homophobic. Initially, she didn't even bring up the topic of LGBTQ around me, but one day I've seen her made a post in a forum which said "Being gay is a sin, and it's nothing to be proud of. Plus most queer people are trying to be "unique" and "special." As a LGBTQ+ person myself this really hurt me. I've also seen some other anti-LGBT content in the forum more often these days, and I think this might have influenced her to be homophobic.

What should I do?

5
User Profile: Researcher385
Researcher385 OP June 7th, 2023

@Prodraxis Also she has posted other threads which emphasize traditional gender roles and/or mock the LGBTQ+ community for being "snowflakes" in said forum. None were specifically directed towards me, but being a queer person it does make me uncomfortable to see these posts.

2 replies
User Profile: Kaizu572
Kaizu572 June 7th, 2023

@Prodraxis Maybe you should have a talk with her about how they're not trying to be special and that they're that way from birth

2 replies
User Profile: Researcher385
Researcher385 OP June 8th, 2023

@Ash572 Well, AFAIK other people in the forum had tried in the past to talk to her multiple times, and she seems firmly convinced that "Homosexuality is a sin and that being LGBTQ+ is equivalent to being a special snowflake".

2 replies
User Profile: Kaizu572
Kaizu572 June 8th, 2023

@Prodraxis Sounds like SHE'S the special snowflake here. Maybe try another approach: Try giving her a taste of her own medicine.

1 reply
User Profile: Researcher385
Researcher385 OP June 9th, 2023

@Ash572 Yeah... I've blocked her and deleted my account. Thanks. Tbh, IMO the worst kinds of homophobes are the ones that deny being homophobic (aforementioned friend is one of these types of people) as they often tend to be self righteous AF. I've been long thinking of leaving that forum anyways due to the increase in extremist, far-right content anyway. That forum used to be a self place where I could express myself, but it is no longer safe for me (or any queer person) anymore as it is getting overrun with homophobes.

load more
load more
load more
load more