Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Psychological block to writing my thesis

Hello everybody, this is my first ever thread post, so definitely correct me if I'm using the platform incorrectly.
Basically I'm doing my master and I've done everything except my thesis. I'm trying to work on it but by work I mean "sit around and procrastinate for months and months and months" since I haven't found the will yet to genuinely work on it.
This is messing up incredibly with my mental and psychological health, because to me it feels like I'm in a dark tunnel with no end in sight and the only emergency exit is "quit everything". I don't want to quit because that would be a huge disappointment to me and to my entire family and because it would be a total waste of years of my life, money, and sweat and tears on other exams.
I really want to work on my thesis and get the *** out of here, but whenever I open the tabs on my computer to work I feel deep anxiety and I end up distracting myself with social media to calm down. Hopefully by updating this thread with progress (fingers crossed it happens), I will be more and more motivated to continue progressing. 
Feel free to give me any advice and to keep me accountable, because I for sure need it😅

7
User Profile: AsherTree
AsherTree Tuesday

@hardworkingSky1232

Oh yes it would be unfortunate for everybody supporting your cause just watch you walk away..

Do you have a strong mental health and social support system in place?

Is your environment causing you harm?

Something is causing you to fall down. I want to lift you up though, if you succeed you have a better path forward in life and you will remember this post and realize that you had doubts yet you overcome all the obstacles and made it..

But ultimately you are in the driver's seat and maybe it's time for you to make a hasty retreat..

Whatever you decide remember you are the adult here and you have to decide your fate.. good luck.. we're here to support you! 

@hardworkingSky1232

You have put a lot of work into this to get where you are. Now, you have to make a choice. Do you want to cross the bridge to your next journey in life, or would you rather just stay where you are. Perhaps you are not ready to move...

ShfPzyXK.gif

QHPhOQx9GUgpi6jiKA.gif

User Profile: hardworkingSky1232
hardworkingSky1232 OP 3 days ago
Update Day 2:
Day 1 I didn't do anything. But today thanks also to the support of @caringShoulder1357 and @AsherTree, I convinced myself to take the reigns of this situation and work on this thesis. It's totally true that I am in the driver's seat and I need to act upon this, one way or another. It could definitely be true as well that deep down I am not ready to move to the next chapter, but I get depressed when I stay still, so I figured that in order to combat the low mood I could take a few steps in the writing. I convinced myself to do those in very limited time frames, by telling myself that I didn't need to figure everything out during those times. I didn't need to worry about my life, others' expectations and all the steps needed to graduate. I could afford to focus only on some baby steps and worry about the rest later. It's working and I'm happy that today I broke the inertia of staying still. Will update tomorrow on whether I stayed consistent
User Profile: AsherTree
AsherTree 2 days ago

@hardworkingSky1232

That's great 👍 

Your back making a path forward.. so proud of you!!

tmnjjgip.gif

load more

@hardworkingSky1232

I am so proud of you! Keep up the great work!

wELyz14yOcbNL.gif

User Profile: hardworkingSky1232
hardworkingSky1232 OP 18 hours ago

Update Day 4: 
Thank you so much for your support. It truly warms my heart that people that have never met me are cheering for me to do better with my life💓

Yesterday I was able to study a bit more and the same goes for today (but I still plan to do more later). It's amazing how every time I feel productive, my mood goes up almost immediately and stays up during the day, and this time is no different. In the past I always told myself to remember how happier I felt when I was productive, but somehow I always ended up stationary again. This time I want to do the effort of keep moving every day, so that I won't be able to forget that sensation. 
Also I want to keep my expectations somewhat low (at least for now): I don't want to overwhelm myself with 1000 bullet points on my to do list in order to fulfill the expectation of suddenly being able to fix everything in my life, starting from the graduation. I'm still focusing on the baby steps and on improving my mood by feeling productive. 

User Profile: caringShoulder1357
caringShoulder1357 12 hours ago

@hardworkingSky1232

What a great gameplan! I always keep my expectations low as well.  Life is just easier to manage with that strategy. I think you've got this! Be sure to keep us updated on how you are doing, and keep up the good work. 

im-donig-the-best_1791653946.jpg

load more