Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Fidget Toys for BFRBs!

User Profile: aliceaspiringpsychiatrist
aliceaspiringpsychiatrist August 26th, 2021

Guys you don't have to have autism or ADHD to use fidget toys, they actually really help for any type of BFRB too!!!!!
It's such a life saver honestly!
Have any of you ever tried using fidget toys?
It has been a MUST for me to use while studying!
Otherwise I'd just be highlighting textbooks with one hand and absolutely destroying my skin with the other hand, but if you keep your hands busy with fidget toys, it'll be such a great distraction!!!!
Try it for yourselves and tell me how it goes for you!
Love,
Alice heart






jovialButterfly6752 edited title, changing it so it is not all in capital letters on August 27th, 2021

12
User Profile: JoyfulMovement
JoyfulMovement August 26th, 2021

@aliceaspiringpsychiatrist

Hi Alice,

What a great recommendation. I haven't tried figit toys just yet, but I definitely should. I live in a place where I have been ravaged by mosquitos all summer (they really seem to like me for some reason) and I have noticed that my BFRB skin picking is pretty bad with the bites and scabs that come from it. I even noticed a new little patch of scar tissue from a bite on my thigh that I have reopened over and over again.... not good.

I think I'll find a cool quiet one at a local store sometime soon. I've played with the metal/plastic things that hold cords together... I forget what they're called... and they're nice but I don't take them far from my desk/bed.

Wishing you the best,

-Jo

1 reply
User Profile: aliceaspiringpsychiatrist
aliceaspiringpsychiatrist OP August 26th, 2021

@JoyfulMovement
Thank you for your reply Jo!heart
I really hope that can help you, let me know how it goes!
Love,
Aliceheart

load more
User Profile: resourcefulPond1641
resourcefulPond1641 August 28th, 2021

@aliceaspiringpsychiatrist

I wonder if anyone has any ideas of a particular figet toy that would help for skin picking and / or nail biting. I've tried some figist toys but the one's I tried didn't work for me. I am open to trying new one's though.

3 replies
User Profile: aliceaspiringpsychiatrist
aliceaspiringpsychiatrist OP August 29th, 2021

@resourcefulPond1641
I think it depends mostly on what YOU are looking for in a fidget toy and on why the ones you've tried before didn't work out.
How has your experience with them been so far? Why didn't it work out?
Maybe you haven't found the right one yet, or maybe there's something else that could help you better?
Love,
Alice <3

3 replies
User Profile: resourcefulPond1641
resourcefulPond1641 August 29th, 2021

@aliceaspiringpsychiatrist

I think one of the main issue I had with them, was that I used them so much I caused myself repetitive strain injuries.

3 replies
User Profile: aliceaspiringpsychiatrist
aliceaspiringpsychiatrist OP August 30th, 2021

@resourcefulPond1641
Oh, I see... I'm sorry about that.
Mayyybe, you could try widening the variety of toys, so that the movements would be more varied and less straining for you?
Check out this website!
https://www.therapyshoppe.com/checkout/1703-sensory-tools-products-skin-picking-dermatillomania-hair-pullers-nail-biters
Love,
Aliceheart

2 replies
User Profile: resourcefulPond1641
resourcefulPond1641 August 30th, 2021

@aliceaspiringpsychiatrist

Oh wow! Thanks! That's an amazing resource. There are lots of things threre I haven't tried before.

1 reply
User Profile: aliceaspiringpsychiatrist
aliceaspiringpsychiatrist OP September 3rd, 2021

@resourcefulPond1641
You're so welcome!
Love,
Aliceheart

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
September 8th, 2021

@aliceaspiringpsychiatrist can't really buy one at the moment. Anyone got any DIY at home ideas?

3 replies
User Profile: aliceaspiringpsychiatrist
aliceaspiringpsychiatrist OP September 10th, 2021

@ouchhh
You could try popping bubble wrap, clicking pens, or even use a computer mouse, so you can right click and left click and also the scrolling wheel is really fun!
Or maybe you could find something you like to touch and keep in your hand, like a tiny piece of a fabric that you like or a small stuffed animal or maybe a cool keychain.
I hope this can help!
Love,
Aliceheart

2 replies
September 11th, 2021

@aliceaspiringpsychiatrist great ideas, thank you so much!

1 reply
User Profile: aliceaspiringpsychiatrist
aliceaspiringpsychiatrist OP September 11th, 2021

You’re so welcome! ❤️

load more
load more
load more