Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I didnt know there was a name to what I did.

User Profile: Logan2293
Logan2293 November 9th, 2018

Let me start this off with I've never been diagnosed with this and just incase I will throw in a nice little self harm trigger warning here.

So I'm watching some videos on different mental health things and came across a counselor named kati Morton, in one of her videos she talks about this. I have always been a picker as in I pick scabs, I pick at imperfections on my face and body it's always at it's worse when my anxiety is high and I do have OCD. I never thought to bring this up while I was in therapy a long while back I just didnt think it really mattered. I compare my scab picking to someone who cuts, I've never cut so I just assume it's sort of how they feel. When my anxiety is really high and I have something to pick I start and i will not stop till the scab is 100% off, the little bit of pain you get from doing this is like a release for me i feel relieved and like i can breathe again, if I dont I will go into an anxiety attack until it's off to the point that I will use tweezers and other "tools" to make sure it's done. Everyone who really knows me knows I do this and I dont discriminate where I pick either and when I get into a picking ritual it is really hard to make myself stop so that it can heal. I've done this for as long as I can remember and it is just amazing to me that there is actually a freaking name for what it is!

2
User Profile: Anomalia
Anomalia August 26th, 2020

It can definitely be an incredible feeling to realize there's a name for something you have been dealing with, and to know that there are others who can relate! How has having that name for it impacted you since finding out? Has it helped you to find support or others you can talk to about it?