Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

So has anyone got over it and felt normal. And what's the best way you learnt to handle it to feel may be even a bit okay

User Profile: EdgeVerge
EdgeVerge December 19th, 2018

Am struggling for 10+ yes, starting from 16yrs old

7
User Profile: Pleiades20
Pleiades20 December 19th, 2018

I have OCD. I'm 28 and I've had it since I was a kid. It doesn't fully go away but it does get better if you treat it. I did exposure and response prevention (ERP) therapy about 2 and a half years ago and it helped so much. My therapist says improvement is kind of like turning the volume down on the intrusive thoughts, even though you can't shut them off entirely. I still struggle with it but it doesn't control my life the same way it used to.

User Profile: Blinkk
Blinkk December 22nd, 2018

@EdgeVerge There are ways to manage. I'm not sure if OCD is something you "get over" as much as it is something that you learn to cope with. Unfortunately, many mental illnesses are this way. It really, really sucks.

Good news is that people are okay living with it. Many people have been successful in their journey. It isnt easy, and its a lot of work but you can be ok. This means different things for different people. Me personally, I'm doing okay if I'm not self harming. My intrusive thoughts are so horrific that I need to damage myself to make it stop.

Like @Pleiades20 said, it does get better if you work with it. Its really a personal question. What does being ok mean for you, exactly?

2 replies
User Profile: Pleiades20
Pleiades20 January 2nd, 2019

@Blinkk

Yeah, definitely agree that "no OCD symptoms" doesn't have to be the goal to get to "feeling/being okay." You can get to a place where it's definitely still part of your life but its intrusion is minimized enough that you can feel much better mentally and live a normal life.

2 replies
User Profile: EdgeVerge
EdgeVerge OP January 7th, 2019

@Pleiades20

Is there any self help that can help me reach there? Or I need to have to have a psychologist

1 reply
User Profile: Pleiades20
Pleiades20 January 7th, 2019

@EdgeVerge

I think there are probably things you can teach yourself or books that might help, but I would really suggest looking for a therapist who specialiazes in exposure/response prevention (ERP) therapy because that's considered the best treatment. It was what really made the difference for me.

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: azurePenny5140
azurePenny5140 February 2nd, 2019

If you can

User Profile: Mayk221
Mayk221 July 9th, 2019

CBT has helped me so much that I don't actually have rituals any more. Therapy, sometimes with the help of the right medication, really can help. I'm not 100% free of it and I likely never will be, but I'm much more functional now than before and I have hope that I can contribute to improve in the future.