A Communication Space for Jaeteuk and bestVase7265 only. (Please do not reply or respond, thank you)
I hope this can be a start of support for the long-term for the both of us.
@bestVase7265
So, I got that doctor's note at my appointment Thursday morning. Doctor agrees that my idea of wanting to apply to a part-time line at a different hospital is a good approach. As I explained that my brain has lost connection, so, starting work elsewhere, I can work to teach it new ways to reconnect my thoughts. I also got my doctor to send in that referral and specify that I want to see the same counsellor again. So, I sent off a "head's up" email to my counsellor, she agreed that I could do that after I've gotten the referral sent in.
What didn't happen was, which is awkward.. was that the clinic didn't call me about my bloodwork results, nor did my doctor mention anything about it.. My Fasting Glucose is way over the range.. Usually when we have numbers in bold, the clinic would call us to make an appointment to go over the results.. But nothing happened this time.. I guess, I'd rather not discuss about it though.. but it might mean I'm close to being pre-diabetic?.. but then again, it would suck to start using meds.. So, I'd rather not talk about it.. and I've started almost immediately with the foods I eat.. Of course, I heard it will take up to 6 months for a change in diet to show in our bloodwork. But my original GP is back next week (it was the Locum working for month of March, he returns in the summer), so my mum told me to make an appointment with her instead. That reminds me, I'll check online Friday to see when her next available appointment will be.
Lots of good stuff in there about the job hunt and the counselor position. Focus on that.
I am sure that your regular doctor will catch you up in terms of understanding the fasting glucose results. Yes, diet does take a while to respond and so it may be reacting more to foods you ate on the cruise. You are eating better now which is what matters. @Jaeteuk
So, I sent that follow-up email to the new job before my shift yesterday, and I got a reply from them later in the afternoon. This morning, I followed their instructions and have applied to the position. It took a long time, as I had to update my resume and write a short cover letter. Now, I just need to wait and see. I've included that I could start as early as May 12th.
Oh yea, I also finally remembered to make an appointment with my primary GP to discuss my blood test results. She's back from her vacation, I have an appointment with her on April 10th. The referral to my counsellor is also received, and my counsellor has contacted me already. My first appointment with her is next Tuesday.
This afternoon, I was suppose to have a phone call appointment with my Case Manager, for once, I totally forgot about it. As my brother had drove to drop off my mum at the restaurant (her weekly ladies' only luncheon), and he stopped by for some Subway. He bought a foot and half, along with my dad, we all ate 6". I usually don't eat a lunch, and with those phone call appointments, I'm usually sitting by my desk, staring at the phone, at least 10 minutes before our arranged time. But this time, for once, I totally forgot about it, I was in the middle of biting out of my sandwich and the phone rang. Dad was in the middle of chewing, brother was washing his hands, so I quickly picked up the phone. Saw her name on the caller ID, and I was like, "Oh man, I totally forgot about our call!". So, we made our conversation short. Since I've been keeping her updated in email, we just touch-based on some things briefly. She knows I will be meeting with my Manager tomorrow, so I asked her to call my Manager either now or tomorrow morning (just before I meet with my Manager) to give her a heads up on why I'm meeting with her. So, if it's okay in finishing my GRTW on April 11th, I'm going to talk to the Manager that one of the reasons is because I've noticed that she hasn't been able to find someone to work the 2 weeks where Good Friday and Easter Monday is. So, to make things easier for the team, I will end my GRTW, so I can work those regular shifts, and my Case Manager has promised that she could monitor me for those two 4-day work weeks. I'm also going to tell my Manager that if she hears complaints from my coworkers, for her/them to be understanding.. especially if it's something I've forgotten to do..
Oh yea, I'm going to try make a new dish tonight for dinner for the family. I was able to pick up my ingredients after work last night. Hopefully it succeeds, but I just won't be able to make it spicy, as my mum can't really eat spicy foods.
It sounds like you are arranging all of your appointments well. Even if you temporarily forgot about that phone call (I do that regularly) you got back on track quickly and asked good questions.
It is also great that you offered to help out those two days. I bet you can handle it and they will appreciate the offer.
The meal for your family sounds nice. We have been doing lots of more interesting cuisine lately because my son wants to cook from many different countries. Last night I did Norway. Definitely not spicy, but it tasted pretty good. @Jaeteuk
So, I had a short meeting with my Manager on Wednesday, caught her in between her meetings. Told her briefly about ending my GRTW next Friday, and told her I noticed that she hasn't been able to find someone cover the Easter weeks of work in April. That I could work them, and at the same time, allow my Case Manager to monitor me. Since I'm heading straight into the regular 8-hour shifts, I asked for permission to continue taking micro-breaks if needed. I got a "yes, it's okay" from her, she says she'll also let the desk clerk know (she's like the supervisor). Usually, I'm supposed to work the 8-hour shifts during the GRTW program, but since I'm cutting it short, I asked if I could take those micro-breaks. Luckily with Good Friday and Easter Monday, they will only be 4-day work weeks.
I also told my Manager that I'm pretty much okay with working, and doing the tasks. My only concern is my forgetfulness, so I asked my Manager if she could help communicate with my Team and the nurses, that if I end up forgetting to do something, that's it's unintentional, and to kindly let me know. So, she typed up two emails.. one to send to my Team, and one to the nurses. She had me look over the one she send to the nurses first, before she sends it off. Basically, it says that I'll be finishing up my GRTW next Friday. That I've made significant positive progress in the past month with the GRTW program, and is ready to take on regular shifts, but continues to work on her ability to focus and remember the finer details of her role. "She asked that I share with you that she may miss or forget minor things. This is a work in progress and will continue to improve with time. Please support her acclimatizing back to work."
The email to the Team is slightly different. It still says that I'm finishing up my GRTW by next Friday, and will be working the April 14-25 shifts. For May, the other casual has picked up some shifts, so, the days she's not available (which is 4 days in 2 weeks), I will be working them. That I have communicated with our Manager that I initially found it challenging to re-engage after being away. Over the past month, I have progressed well and is adapting to the daily expectations. That I asked our Manager to share with the Team that I forgets things intermittently. My concentration and tolerance for stimulation has improved significantly, but I may still come across as being quiet and may still miss things unintentionally. My Manager says to continue to support me, be patient and kindly communicate with me if they notice things I've missed.
I think my Team knows the reason of my absence, that's why nothing was mentioned. But with the nurses, I've only told a few people, upon my return. One of the nurses know about it, as I bumped into her at the mall a few times when I was on my leave.
I also told my Manager that I'll be starting up counselling next week again. I told her, there may be appointments where I might need to start my shift a bit later, as I'm not sure what the schedule for my counsellor is yet. So, I asked my Manager if I needed to fill out a form, or I could just let her know, and then, sign-in on the sheet the time I started. So, she says, if I have the dates, to let her know.. then, she'll give a heads-up to the girl that sets up our shifts, and asked me to just write down the time I started, if it's going to be later the 12pm.
Oh, that friend with the Frenchie, she asked me to save some cardboard boxes for her. Last week, she stopped by and picked some up.. Tuesday, my coworker says she saved up a lot and asked if my friend could pick them up Wednesday. So, on Wednesday, her husband came instead, because her son was in the Emergency with pneumonia on Monday (went into Emergency at 6pm, and she stayed with him overnight and they went home at 4:30am), and she can't leave her son at home alone. So, her husband came to pick them up instead. Apparently, they've moved most of their things to her sister's place already. On Monday, they had their realtor go and take pictures of their place to put it up for listing. She always has an eye on the place she wants to move to.. it's going to be a bit farther than where she is now in comparison by how long it takes me to get to her place. Her new area, will definitely be driving distance, still within the same city, but on the other borderline of the city beside us. She's going higher up in elevation too, upsizing her place. I guess that is needed, as her son gets older, they will need more space. The place they're in now, it's small, and many of their things are kept in storage. So a bigger home, they will be able to have those things displayed.
That's all for now. Who knows, if I hear back from the other job, I might not be able to work those shifts in May..
What excellent news on all fronts! You are really moving forward. You have organized things well and are letting people know properly.
I am so excited for your progress. The therapy sessions will eventually help you figure out the long term stuff. That is also great. @Jaeteuk
Last night, I dreamt of my best friend.. the one I called it quits with more than 10 years ago.. But it seemed to be more in the present times.. as I went to a restaurant to meet her and 2 others after working a shift at the hospital. I remember the table was reserved under her name, but I noticed they spelled it wrong.
I was telling my mum about it this morning, and she was saying, it seems that she never dreams or remembering any details. But for me, I've always been dreaming of dreams/nightmares ever since fifth/sixth grade and remembering all the details. I remember back then (in my 20s), I saw a Psychologist, who told me that in our dreams, we are trying to solve or figure out solutions to things we're stuck with during the day. Dreams are when we are subconsciously organizing our thoughts, so are often linked to things that happened during the day.
Saw my counsellor today. It's been 3 months. So, I went over how I want to work on my brain functioning. And we've made appointments for the next 4 weeks. Since I only have work during the Easter weeks, I've communicated it with my Manager to see if I could start my shift between 1:30pm - 2pm, I got a reply from her. She says I could start at 2pm, to give me some breathing room. Which is nice, aside from going back to a regular 8 hour shift, it'll be 4-day work weeks because of Good Friday and Easter Monday, then, have 2 of those 8 days, I get to start at 2pm. Perfect.
I received an email around noon today, regarding my job application. They want to see me for an interview this Thursday at 9am. I've replied with a yes. I'll just need to figure out how to get there. Driving, will have traffic as it's during rush hour. My mum agreed to take transit with me, just so I'm not stressing about it on my own, as it'll be my first time going on that route. But, I guess I have another day to decide how I'll get there. At first, I asked if my dad could drive, follow the route I searched on Google Maps.. that way, I can familiarize myself for, if I get the job and I need to drive to and from work myself. But we'll see.. my parents have to be back home, as they have plans with friends at 1pm.
I've just printed out a copy of the Cover Letter and Resume I sent along with my application. Feeling a little nervous and excited. I was just telling my counsellor about it, saying that I'm yet to hear back from them. Or that I might not get a reply at all. Then, the moment I got home, checked my email, there it was! I think for them, it's difficult to hire a permanent staff to work those times/days of the week. So, if I'm willing to do it and stays, I'm sure they'll appreciate it. Part-time, Thurs-Sun, working either 11-7pm or 3:30-11:30pm.
I'd better find a folder to put my Cover Letter and Resume in.. and make sure rain doesn't get in, as it'll most likely be raining on Thursday.
That is excellent news on multiple fronts. You will figure out how to get to the interview and do great once you are there.
Take it a step and a time and recognize that interviewing is something that you haven't done in a while. So if any mistakes occur, be kind to yourself. You can do this and you are getting better daily.
Good luck! @Jaeteuk
My brother went over some things I can ask, and told me how to answer certain questions.. With his job, he's the interviewer, so he knows what employers may ask or is looking for in the answers.. There's a chance where my parents will give me a ride.. As it's my first time there, my mum doesn't want me to stress out taking transit and needing to walk a good distance before arriving at the hospital. So, fingers crossed that I get a ride!
Over dinner, my mum also suddenly suggested that I could look and apply to hospitals that are out-of-town.. she brought up a past thought I had, when I wanted to work in South Korea as an English Teacher.. She was like, maybe I could apply to other cities, rent a place close to the hospital, and make it seem like I'm working in South Korea (living on my own, in another city).. You know, I haven't really looked or thought about it.. Right now, with my current financial situation, I don't think I have enough money to rent and feed myself. So that's why, I never thought of looking for jobs that is out-of-town.. This place is already a big change for me.. especially when I'd be driving, and it'd be late at night.. like into midnight.. So, I think I won't think about her suggestion.. (maybe in a couple of years, after working with a more stable income).. Plus, I did plan to keep my current job, but make my availability to only Mon-Wed, since this job is Thurs-Sun.. Which would make my income to more than a full-time, 5-day work week.. That way, I'll be working 7 days a week.. And I don't know if my current workplace would give me all 3 days, maybe I'll just ask for Mon-Tues, and have Wed off for myself.. Who knows.. We'll see what happens with this job.. if I get hired or not.. as I've mentioned that I could start working May 9th.
@bestVase7265
My interview is moved to 11am (I don't have to wake up at 6am). My dad will drive me, as I familiarize the roads. My mum will stay home, and see if my dad and I can get home before 1pm. Otherwise, my mum might have to be dropped off at their friend's place by my brother. I'm trying to make an appointment next week to have my winter tires swapped back to the summer tires. So far, I'm trying to ask for an early morning appointment, as I'm back to regular shifts next week. After getting tires changed, I'll need to drop them off at home before heading to work. So I told them, I'll need my car back by 10:30am, latest. So, let's see if it can be arranged.
@bestVase7265
You have a solid plan. Good luck with the interview. Go with what you have for right now. Only if that doesn't work out do you need to worry about the out of town plan.
I think that out of town plan is also a good one to think deeply about for later. You could probably find something in a smaller community and I know that you don't like the stress of living in an urban environment that much. You are right about rent, etc. but it would be a fresh start without your mom's more constant judgments. You could really feel more independent and confident. But again, this is something to think about in the long term, not now, unless this job doesn't work out.
You are going to do great!
So.. I was hired on the spot! They said it's their first time, to hire on the spot. So, I'm honored. At first, the interview was just with one of their supervisors (the one that contacted me) in the Manager's office. Half way through, they couldn't figure out which staff I'm replacing, and called the other supervisor into the room too. Then, everything just went on from there. The first half hour, it was the interviewing part, them, asking me questions, the usual (introduce yourself, why did you choose their hospital, how are you if you have conflict with other staff, strengths, etc).. and the second half was already getting info from me to send into HR, the supervisor that joined us halfway, she came with her laptop, so, as the Manager was saying she's hiring me on the spot, she was getting info from me, and even got a employee ID #. Since I didn't bring my current employee ID with me, she asked me to go home to take a picture of the front and back, so, that she could register me in, and that I could use my current ID to get access to the site.
I think the fact that I told them the reason that I liked this work (indirectly helping surgeons make a patient feel better with their ailments and pains), and saying that in comparison to the staff I worked with, many are there because of the decent pay, and the pension at the end when the retire. Not so much of the type of vision I have with the work. I told them, even when I was taking the course, I was excited.. then, when I started working, I saw this position as a career, not a job.. and the thought of that I'm indirectly helping a patient feel better, is the most rewarding part of it. I told them for me, the decent pay, and a good pension at retirement, to me, that's the bonus.
You know, when we got to a point where I gave them my working number and date of birth.. the supervisor that joined us, she's was like "we're the same age!".. and my birthday is like one day before the other supervisor.. So, the first supervisor, at one point, she was saying, in the 3rd question into the interview, she felt "something" with me.. then, seeing my birthday, she was like, that's why.. because we're both Aquarius, so I guess our personalities matched a bit more.. The management team looks like a very supportive group of people.. all ladies, and they all seem like easy-going people. I have a good feeling about this. The Manager actually tried to offer me a full-time, but I said, I'll try the part-time now first, as it's a transition for me from Casual to part-time. But later on, once I get the hang of this position again, I'll consider a full-time position. But since, I want to keep my current Casual position, I'll just work the part-time line first.
They say Orientation is usually 4 weeks long, but if I don't feel confident enough, they can extend and expose me to that area of work more if needed. With the Orientation, I would start with the 7:30am - 3:30pm line first. Then do other start times, so I get a feel of what a typical day looks like. Apparently, with my line, the Thurs-Sun, the shifts are 11-7pm for Thurs-Sat, and Sun. is the 3:30pm-11:30pm. So, for Orientation, that morning shift, I could take transit, the express train.
So, tomorrow, when I go to work.. I'll have to see my Manager and let her know.. I'll need to cancel my shifts (again) for May, as I'll be in Orientation at my new position. I'll also probably have to end up telling my team about it too. I'll let my team know next week.. I still have the next two weeks of work with them.. before I start my Orientation May 7th. Tomorrow, I had planned to tell one other nurse about it, I mentioned that I tried applying for a part-time position to another nurse earlier (as she was telling me she will start working at our sister hospital soon too), and she was the friendliest towards me upon my return.
Countdown starts now!
@bestVase7265
That is all so awesome for you! You sound confident and excited. I am happy to hear.
I am sure that you will soon adapt to the commute and the hours. Sometimes you just feel like something is right in your gut and you go for it. What is great that both you and your new employer felt the same way.
If you end up going to full time at some point, maybe you can save enough money to rent a small apartment nearer the new hospital. That would give you more freedom and help you feel more accomplished.
But this is just great news for now! I am so excited. You deserve it. @Jaeteuk
I am excited, the night before the interview, I was a bit nervous that I couldn't sleep.. I remember I went to bed somewhat earlier, fell asleep before midnight, but when I woke up, only an hour had passed. Then, I was awake until 2:30am or so, before falling back asleep and woke up to my alarm at 7am. Last night, the day of the interview.. I guess I was so excited, I couldn't sleep either.. I woke up every hour until 3am or so, then went back to sleep and automatically woke up around 7am..
You know what though, we discovered a small problem.. because of my driver's license, I'm still holding a "N" license, which has restrictions that I cannot be driving between midnight and 5am. So, with my Sunday shift finishing at 11:30pm, I'll need to see if there's still transit to take, or I might end up needing to use Uber. The reason why I had been putting off taking the road test to get the full license is I cannot parallel park, as that is one of the things they test on. So, I have renewed my "N" license for the 3rd time already. But needing to go practice parallel parking and to take the test, right now, that is another stressor thing to do.. So, I will delay it for now.. I need to feel better about myself first, before I do anything else that adds stress.. And the first best move I've made, is this regular part-time position..
I can't believe this move fell into place so quickly.. The next big thing I hope to happen, is to meet my significant other.. Maybe with this more stable position with work, my mum can consider asking her friend, if her son-in-law's best friend and colleague are still single and looking.. Before, apparently, my mum didn't ask her friend further, she says that because I do not have a permanent job, the guys' family won't like it. Because working like a Casual, is close to not being employed.. But, now, I have a regular part-time position, and if I'm able to pick up 2 shifts when available at my current job.. that would be working 6 days a week.. more than a regular full-time job.
So, I was going to tell my Manager today, but when I went to her office prior my shift, it turns out she's working off-site. I was messaging my friend (the one who let me stay over at her place when I was grieving and hang with her puppy), about it, and she said I should email my Manager. Give her a heads-up, just in case my new employer calls her, as I have her as my reference. So, within five minutes, I had sent my Manager an email, saying that I wanted to see her in person, and will tell her the details when we meet in person, but long story short, she may get a call from another hospital because I got a regular part-time position there. I did not get a reply from her, rather than an automated email reply, that indicates she's not in the office, and to contact another person for emergencies.
But you know what, my new Manager apparently lives like 15min drive away from my place.. and she mentioned that there are a few other staff who lives around my area too.. So, renting and moving closer may not be necessary.. as long as I can get the travels arranged.. At least for the Orientation weeks, especially the morning shift, I can take the first express train, so that I could arrive before 7:30am. And even if I work the 11am shift, I could take regular transit, do a park and ride.
It's past 11pm now.. I had my Korean comfort food late today after work, I had to wait for a seat.. So, I'm still a bit full right now.. but, with the lack of sleep last night, I had been yawning all day at work.. as I did my 6-hour shift, starting at 2pm. I was supposed to have a buddy at work, she ended up calling in sick. According to my other 2 colleagues, her knee was bothering her more on Thursday again.. being more swollen and sore.. since last week, she showed me she had a lump behind her left knee, the size of an egg. She says her knee cap area seemed to be full of fluids and the joints are sore.. She had been seeing her physiotherapist and was told to ice it. When I worked with her on Wednesday, she was telling me that for that day, it wasn't as sore, and the swelling at the front lessened.. Now, all of a sudden, it swelled up again yesterday. I knew she was going to have an in-clinic appointment with the surgeon today (last week, she had asked one of our Ortho surgeons to take a look at her knee, of which he ordered her to get an x-ray done). So, I guess by next week, we'll know how her appointment went.. or if she's well enough to work.. if her knee is bothering her too much, we might end up hearing that she had called in sick.. but, that would make us short-staffed, as we have one colleague taking vacation for the Easter weeks.
So today, near the beginning of my shift (like the first 2 hours) it was boring.. nothing to do, as surgeries ended late.. I didn't have much to do.. but, later in the evening, that's when things seemed like non-stop, and with the constant yawning.. I knew I was tired.. I even kept yawning when I was waiting for a seat at the restaurant after work too.
@bestVase7265
It is all good stuff. You will figure out how to get there and you did a good job in emailing your other boss about the new job.
I am sure that you are yawning because so much has been going on. You will sleep well tonight.
I know that I first found my husband in one of those weird "everything falls into place suddenly" kind of moments. He was showing some films at a museum I was working at and afterwards he asked me to go out to eat. I was really tired and nearly said no. He was really tired and nearly didn't ask. By the end of that one evening and all the wonderful questions he asked, I knew he was the one. @Jaeteuk
For now, transit will be my next best friend.. lolz.
My sister kept telling me that it will happen when I least expect it.. The first meet with your husband sounds lovely.
I'm just taking this new job as a fresh start for everything in my life.. on the path to a more stable income, new colleagues I'll be working with, new systems I'll be learning when they changeover to the latest software, new transit routes I've never taken before, just new everything. I almost feel like I'm forcing a new chapter of my life, as everything happened so quickly, although like a force/rush, it's a positive change, a change for a better life, better me.
You know, aside from wanting to start fresh after the grieving, I'd also like to thank one Chinese artist, and his music. I had been following him lately, watching videos where he participated in talk shows, talking about his own struggles, all his raw emotions, and how he's making a comeback after taking a year off to deal with his own problems. The lyrics in his songs portray the struggles he's been through. When asked what kind of wife he wants, he often says that it will be someone who's pursuing her own dreams. Hearing that, I wanted to rekindle my career. Made me think back to what I felt when I was first taking the Certificate program, the passion, satisfaction, and how rewarding it felt when I was doing the practicum. Making me feel that I want to return to that kind of life. And like I said, everything happened so quickly. At first, I was a bit worried with the interview that they might ask me questions on the work itself, like technical questions, but because I haven't been doing it the past 5 years, I may have forgotten the detailed things.. Luckily, none of that type of questions were asked from me.. Because I remember when I first finished the Program and was going through the interview, the Manager then had asked some technical questions.. which was easier, because I just finished the course, and the info was still retained.
Anyways, I guess I'm just excited about this new work status, after being a Casual for the past 7 years, I finally have a permanent line, although starting as part-time, it's still good. And the Management team seems very friendly and supportive, especially that one Supervisor, where we're the same nationality, same age, I feel I'll get extra support. With the other Supervisor, we're both Aquarius, one day apart with the birthday, so our personalities match to some extent. It's all good. Now, just need to meet the rest of the team.
With this excitement and new change coming up, with my current job.. remember that colleague I talked about that doesn't like me.. She came up to our department on Friday and was looking for my colleagues, we exchanged some words (more words than usual), as I was the only person she saw (not sure where my other colleagues went), I felt calm. Which I think is due to my excitement, and knowing that I would only be picking up a couple of shifts here, don't have to worry about working with her. Eventually, if they offer me a full-time line later on, if I have a good feeling working there, I'll most likely accept it too. By then, I'll definitely need to resign from my current hospital. But it's a feeling I haven't felt with her, so that was nice, I felt lighter.
This morning, my mum randomly asked me, with this new job, what is my biggest concern. I'm like, "transportation". As for the job itself, I'm already set in facing it as a new start, so ready to learn and absorb, and knowing I'm continuing with working the dream career (a career that I know I have passion for), I'm ready for all the challenges I may face. I remember, during my interview, when I explained why I decided to return to this department, my answer really pressed the right buttons on the Manager/Supervisor. My Manager says that in the generation now, no one really looks at their work in the same lens as I. That my type of thinking is now very rare. They looked really pleased and impressed, maybe that's why I was hired on the spot!
@bestVase7265
Again, I love to hear your excitement and your voice filled with promise. You are ready for this change and the transportation is going to fall into place well.
I think that you exchanging words with that colleague you didn't like is just proof that her views never mattered anyway. She was one bad voice among a multitude of good ones. It is time to move forward. @Jaeteuk
Yes, finally moving forward.. I think I was kinda stuck in one place for a long time.. didn't have the courage to want to make the changes for a better position for work, used to always just worry about needing to travel further for a position.. since the current place is so close to home.. and how I don't like driving.. but now, with this new workplace, also knowing that parking is difficult to find if I were to work a shift that starts at 11am, transit would be the way to go.. The hospital I work at is like in a complex of other healthcare facilities.. and being a 24/7 site, parking would most likely be full all day, everyday.
I was just looking at the last bus/skytrain for Sunday, as eventually, that day, I'll be getting off work at 11:30pm.. It looks like, I'll need to get changed quickly, in order to get to the skytrain station in time, so I could catch the last train to make it home.. Otherwise, it seems my only other option (being that I don't take the road test for a proper driver's license), would be to call Uber. At least, that may not happen until at least a month from now.. Except they might assign a day or two in my Orientation to work that late shift over a weekend, just so I get a feel how it's like. But until then, I'll try not to sweat about it too much..
Ever since the night before my interview.. my sleep has gone weird.. Been waking up at least once after falling asleep, only to find out, I had only slept for an hour.. then, it would either take another hour or so until I fall back asleep and then waking up earlier than usual.. like 6 or 7am.. Feels like my brain is still excited and on like an adrenaline rush.
Yes, I was telling my mum about that colleague and how I felt calm when we exchanged conversation.. she was saying that my brother's words are right.. and you're right too, maybe I was just overthinking it..
@bestVase7265
Sounds like a good plan. You might even find taking public transit more relaxing because you don't have to worry as much about parking and driving in traffic.
I can imagine that sleep is a little hard to come by right now. Hopefully that will get better in the next few days.
You're right, transit will take away the stresses of parking and driving for sure. I just need to test it out and see if taking the transit will give me enough time to arrive, get dressed, and start my shift in time. When doing the orientation, I'll most likely end up doing a park & ride, to catch the first train. I think I'm most worried about being able to catch the last train or not when I work the late night shift.
Sleep is horrible, I couldn't sleep until almost 5am this morning.. I was yawning so much at work today. And parking was crazy as usual, waited over an hour for a spot! I ended up starting my shift like 15 minutes late. I still didn't get to see my Manager, she was working from home again, said to be having some back pain. I emailed her Monday morning, to see if she want our conversation to be in-person or I were to call her. She said she'll be back Tuesday and we could talk then, so, I'll have to drop by her office during my shift. Hope I can catch her in between her meetings. A lot of the times, whenever I pass by her office, her door is shut and is in a video call.
@bestVase7265
I am glad you are figuring things out.
Sorry for keeping my post really short tonight. It has been a rough day. @Jaeteuk
No worries, short is fine.
So, I went to see my Manager before I started my shift, was lucky today with the parking spot. So, told her why I wanted to look for regular position and how that I would pick up two shifts once I finish my orientation. So, later on in my shift, I get a congratulations from the Desk Clerk (who is a nurse that basically runs the show during the day shift, as she's the one that assigns the nurses to their operating rooms). Turns out my Manager sent out an email, cc'd the her and the lady that does our schedule. Basically saying that I got a Part-time position at a different hospital, will not be able to work the 4 shifts in May, and for the pre-booked shifts for the year, to only schedule me to work Mon and Tues.
Manager says to touch-base with her after I finish my orientation, just to see if we need to make more arrangements to my pre-booked shifts.
I told one other person today.. a housekeeper that works the evening shift.. yesterday, I was asking her about the bus pass and how it works, and I told her I'll tell her some good news today, after I've spoken with the Manager. I haven't decided if I should tell my team about it.. or let my Manager break the news to them..
@bestVase7265
You deserve some people congratulating you from your old job. I think that there are more supportive people there than you think.
I am glad to hear that things continue to move forward well. @Jaeteuk
I'm thinking of telling another nurse or two tomorrow.. I really don't know if I should tell my team.. Oh well, I've got another week with them.. plus, it's not like I'm resigning, but they'll just be seeing less of me.. I asked my brother, and he suggests to let the Supervisor/Manager reveal it..
Thursday is a late start with the operations.. and the nurses usually have a meeting in the morning.. so, the desk clerk, not sure if she'll tell the team.. I guess I'll know when I get to work.. see if they will be congratulating me about it or not..
I got an email Wednesday afternoon from one of the Supervisors in my new Hospital. Asking for my email, so she could help me request to get an early access with my current ID card.. rather than, register for a new Employee ID, they could grant me access with my current ID card.. So, now it's being processed.. To enter the building and elevator to get to my department, requires ID access.. But, I don't quite remember how I got to those elevators.. Hopefully I don't get lost on my first day! Wednesday evening, after getting home from work, I got a message from my cousin, asking if I've got plans on Saturday.. she says she might be coming into our city, but not sure what time yet.. She wants to meet with me.. So, I told her, I don't have plans yet, and depending on the time, maybe we could grab a bite somewhere.. So, I may or may not have plans with her.. I had just planned to do some online courses, as it's part of my orientation.
Tomorrow, I'll be starting my shift at 2pm instead.. Have a doctor's appointment in the morning, and meeting my counsellor at 12pm. I think with my counsellor, I'm going to tell her we'll need to work on how I can talk to my mum more comfortably. I also need to tell her, I could only see her for the next 3 weeks I've booked with her.. as I start my new job, I won't be able to see her anymore.. plus, she also finishes her practicum by end of May too. So, I won't be able to see her to the end.. So, hopefully with my remaining sessions, we can work something out.
I told my team that I'll be starting at 2pm too, just so they aren't expecting me to be there at noon.
@bestVase7265
That all sounds good. I hope the next few days go smoothly for you. @Jaeteuk
So today (Wednesday), I finally told all the staff I wanted to share the news of starting a regular part-time position with. In the OR, I've told 3 nurses, 1 housekeeper that I work with in the evening shift, and 2 other nurses in the recovery (which is directly connected to the OR and of whom I feel the most comfortable with). As for the rest of the staff, I'll let either my Supervisor or Manager reveal it if asked. Because I had told my coworkers that I was working only 4 shifts in May, the days that the other casual couldn't work.. So, in case they wonder why I'm not there anymore, if they ask the Supervisor then, maybe she'll tell them. It's not really their business anyways, and it's not like I'm resigning, I'm just making this current hospital as my secondary work.
With my counsellor this week, we talked a bit about how I wish to be able to open up more with my thoughts and feelings with my mum.. but that we both had been dealing with barriers between us, at least, ever since I was diagnosed with depression at a young age, where I had no support from family. So, to break down that wall built up for so many decades, is not easy. But I did mention, with this fresh new start with the new job, I'm hoping that being to do work where I feel passionate about, I will become more confident, and maybe then, it would be easier for me to share my feelings with my mum. I also mentioned that fear I have around my birthday, and my counsellor agrees that it's very real. I told her, after I've become more stable financially, maybe I'll mention to my mum again about introducing me to the male friends of my parents' friend's son-in-law.. At least by then, once I've started working my position, there will be times if I end up picking up 2 shifts from current hospital, I'd be working 6 days a week.. That's more than a regular full-time job.. It won't be that often, maybe more over the summer months. And you know, if I really like working at the new hospital and I get along with the staff, when the time comes, and they offer me a full-time position, I might take it. If that happens, I'll need to resign from this hospital, as I don't think I'll be able to pick up a shift or two, if I'm already working 5 days a week.
You know, I had a random thought during work today.. as much of an introvert I've labeled myself as, when I see colleagues who would rather sit out in the hallway by themselves during their meal breaks, rather than in the lounge where there's usually other staff eating there.. I feel that compared to them, I'm not that much of an introvert where I don't want to be around others during my breaks.. Yes, I understand how some of them are listening to podcasts or music or talk on the phone and don't want to bother others, but still.. I only label myself as an introvert because I don't like being out and about and socializing with random people/strangers.. That I'm more of a homebody because that is the safe zone that I'm most comfortable with.. But, when I feel comfortable with someone, I can become quite talkative too.. So, I think I'm an introvert but selectively. I also feel that, if I'm in a place where I need to be more open/active, then, I can..
I got an email this morning, telling me that the request of getting early access through my ID is approved.. So, rather than registering for a new employee ID at the new hospital.. they sent the request in to allow me to use my current ID, but grant me access to the other hospital.. That's one step closer..
Two more days of work, then, I'll have to really look into taking transit for my orientation.. look more closely.. My parents are worried about the safety of using transit when I get off at 11:30pm.. I also have to finish the online courses too..
So you are headed in a good direction. I am glad about all of the solid conversations that you are having with your therapist. She sounds like a good one. Next steps on the personal relations (mom and love life) will happen slowly but surely. Sometimes things also happen all at once like this job.
I do think that it is actually fine to label yourself an introvert. Only the world thinks it is a bad thing, but it really isn't. I am an introvert too. I need my quiet, alone time. There is no shame in that. The world needs more introverts. We think a great deal and choose our friends carefully. I most certainly don't want to be someone who is the life of the party and that is fine. We aren't all supposed to like parties. @Jaeteuk
The staff at my hospital has a phrase we say to each other on Fridays. "Happy Friday".. but today's "Happy Friday" is the happiest Friday in my life.. lolz. Knowing that after today's shift, this hospital will become my secondary workplace and excited for my new job. My fresh new start, the next chapter of my life! Next week, in May, my parents will do a trial run with me, in taking the transit. As I've never taken that Express Train before, and I'll need to see where I need to go to transfer to another train, to get to the Hospital.. I already bought the monthly transit pass, since it starts May, we won't be able to do the trial runs until May 1st.
Also next week, I'll need to start getting used to waking up at 5am.. As I think I'll need to leave my house at 5:45am to drive to the park & ride place to take the Express Train. Need to catch the first train, which departs at 6:15am. So the trial runs with my parents will help, my dad could drive, and show me where the park & ride lot is, then, I can time and see how long it takes to pay for the parking, and see if it'll be enough time to catch that first train.
I also was finally able to secure a time slot to get my summer tires back on, for next Wednesday. I got a message from the garage past 7 tonight, and said they got a cancellation and can take me in for Wednesday. At first, they were like, how about in May.. I was like, I'm working all of May, so had asked them if the last day of April is okay. It has been delayed from early this week, to finally next Wednesday. Although I won't be driving to work, but still better to have the summer tires back on.. if summer is going to be hot, it won't be good to have the snow tires in the heat all day, everyday, as my car is usually parked on the driveway..
But you know, I did mention to my mum last week or the week before.. that since with my new job, I'll be using transit, and for when I'm picking up those two shifts in the future "old" hospital, I could use transit too.. that way, as I've heard my parents and brother talking in the past few months, about trading in both my car and parents car in, for an Electric vehicle.. so, if transit will become my new best friend, then, my car really won't be necessary.. Also, as a regular part-time staff, I get a staff rate on transit passes.. which is a good deal.. and it save the stress I get from driving too. Because now, sometimes, even when I'm driving distances longer than 10 minutes to my destination, I still get stressed and nervous, and my right leg will literally be shaking (like it bobs up and down).. and that's dangerous, as that's the foot that's on the gas/brake.
@bestVase7265
I am so glad that you are happily awaiting a new start. You have it so nicely planned out on how to learn the transit system. I do think that it will end up being less stressful in the long run, though it will probably have moments of stress.
The car plan sounds like a good one, but you will want to continue to drive occasionally so you don't get so uncomfortable driving that you can no longer do it. But you certainly aren't there yet.
May will be a busy, new learning month. You are very ready for it. @Jaeteuk
You know, I never really actually liked to drive in the first place. Back in school, unlike the 90% of the students in the same school, who went for their Learner's at 16 (our legal age to drive), I waited until my early 20s before I did that road test. I had been carrying that Novice License ever since, renewed it for the 3rd time a few years ago, that's like 18 years. It was announced recently that early next year, there'll will be a policy that those carrying the Novice license will not need to do a road test to get the permanent Class 5, and we could get it as long as our driving records are clear. More news about it will come later. So by next year, with the actual license, if I'm still working this part-time position, I could consider driving on Sundays.. because right now, I'm restricted to be driving between midnight and 5am.
I'm sure I'll still be driving my short distances.. I still haven't really figured out what to bring for lunch/dinner.. I need to see how the lunch room is like.. I hope they have like a fridge, microwave, and kettle to use.. And being in transit for more than an hour getting to work, I need to make sure my food won't go bad. Until I figure out what to bring for my meals, I'll still be driving for groceries. With May's orientation, I get Sundays and Mondays off.
Oh by the way, my counsellor's last day of her interim is June 26th. So, I told her, hopefully by then, I'd be working my line, meaning I could see her maybe one last time before she leaves. So, she said she'll keep my file open until then. Hopefully I can see her at least one more time, update her on my new job. We've been through a lot together, as she was the second counsellor I saw through my grief. She's a student, studying a Master's Degree in Counselling. I asked her a few days ago, when she will be licensed, maybe by then, I could Google her and see her when she's on her own. She says that it'll be next December, and with my medical benefits with work now, I could see her without taking money out of my own pocket. She says she'll most likely stay around in the same city, so, hopes are high that I'll see her in the future again.
May will be a learning month for sure, and busy, it's been a while since I've worked in this department and working 5 days in a row, of full-time hours. I hope my body can handle it. I will definitely be learning lots of new instrument sets, as I'm sure the types of surgeries and equipment for children is different for adults. Since I'm teaching my brain how to reconnect anyways, from the impact I had with the grief, I think this will be a good opportunity for me to rewire my brain and teach it something new.
@bestVase7265
Again, all good news and good ways of thinking.
I am sure that you will figure out the lunches and the transportation as you move forward. Ice packs work great to keep lunches cold if necessary, but I bet they will have somewhere to keep things cold and heat things up.
I am glad that you have a good counselor and that you might be able to continue. That really, really helps.
Training will be a good way to continue rewiring your brain. But be sure to grant yourself grace for any little errors that you make. There will probably be others learning alongside you who will also make small mistakes. It is part of the learning process for everyone.@Jaeteuk
Working the first 8 shifts starting at 7:30am.. Meaning I need to leave the house by 5:45am.. which means, I definitely won't be having my breakfast until afterwards.. Like during my first break of work.. Which I was thinking maybe I could boil a bunch of eggs the night before and bring 2. Then, pack a lunch.
You know, the first Saturday I'll be working, the morning shift.. I checked transit options, and there's only bus that runs that early in the morning.. There are no skytrain options.. I was thinking, maybe I could talk my parents into driving me to work just for that one day. I'll take the skytrain back home afterwards..
Oh, you know my comfort food, that Korean restaurant I go once a week? The past Friday, I went and told the waitress that I won't be able to go eat as I'm starting a new job and the hours don't work. I used to see her when I was having counselling sessions, during the time I was off. Back then, she worked the morning shift, Mon-Fri.. But early this year, she found a full-time job, that works Mon-Fri.. So, she only works at the restaurant for the evening shift on Fridays and Saturdays. When I told her that I might not be able to come to eat on Fridays for May, but maybe for one Saturday, she tells me that she now only works Fridays. She says it's crazy busy on Friday and Saturday nights, and she only wants to work one of the crazy nights and chose Fridays. So, not knowing if I'll be able to see her again, I got her contact number. Maybe we can go out for coffee instead. The last time we chatted, I found out she married a Chinese guy, who was raised in Mexico. Said they met when attending ESL here. I also found out the area she lives, I just don't remember if she said she has kids or not.. She's only a couple of years older than I.
Looking at my schedule again, maybe I can go eat there on the second Friday. Getting off at 3:30pm, it might be close to 5pm when I get home.. she starts at 5pm. Surprise her.
By the way, my Aunt will be visiting us for 10 days. She's taking a cruise to Alaska and some National Park.. Stopping at our place for 10 days, before she boards the cruise up North. She comes from California. I heard my mum tell her that I got a new job, and the days that she's with us, I'm working the morning shift, which means I'll be waking up early.. hope they're okay with it.. Then, my mum tells me, to remember not to slam any doors and be as gentle as possible..
At first, they were thinking of borrowing an air mattress for my Aunt and Uncle to sleep on.. and since we do not have a guest room, they were thinking of moving my desk and computer out of my computer room for them to sleep in.. but in the end, they've decided to let them sleep in my brother's room.. and have my brother stay over at his friend's place for the time being.. But his friend is on vacation right now, so he hasn't asked him if it's okay yet..
@bestVase7265
Sorry that I missed last night. I was out doing a night time kayaking event with my family. My sister had given it to us as a present for Christmas. It was nice watching the sunset but very late.
You will have lots of mini things to think through as you are developing your new schedule. You are doing a great job with managing all of them.
But the greatest part of your message was striking up the conversation and possible friendship with the waitress at your favorite restaurant. That is just awesome! Do follow up to possibly have coffee or something. Any time you do that you extend your network of friends and gain more confidence in yourself. I was quite pleased to read about that because you were the one reaching out.
Kayaking and watching the sunset sounds like a great getaway and calming time.
It is lot going on during my first couple weeks of my orientation.. just overlapping the time my Aunt and Uncle coming to stay with us.. needing my brother to move out to his friends' place to give them his room to stay in.. which will be like an extra expense for him.. as it probably means that he'll be eating out more.. as I don't think he would be cooking at home with his friend..
Ah yes, that waitress.. We didn't really talk much when I went for lunch every week after my counselling sessions last year (Sept - Nov). It wasn't until when I came back from vacation and went there in January, learning that she's only working Friday and Saturdays evenings.. That's why, once I started working again, I left Friday's dinner to eat there. That way, I could see her again.. And last week, I waited until there was only other table of guests left in the restaurant before paying for my bill and take the time to have that chat with her. I spoke with her a few weeks earlier, that Friday night, it was very quiet, so that was when we talked and she told me more about her husband. Knowing that we're only like a year and half apart, she's older, and she's so friendly, that's why I had thought we could stay in contact outside of just a waitress-customer relationship. Especially now, learning that she's only working Friday evenings, I might not be able to go when she's working once I start my line.. Yes, I'll be off at 7pm, but by the time I get home, it might be close to 9pm.. That's why at first, I thought I go for a snack just to see her on Saturdays.. As their last order is 10pm.. And that I work a later shift on Sundays.. I thought it'd be okay if I went home later on Saturdays.. But now, the only way to stay in contact with her, I thought, would be to get her number.. and see if she's okay in meeting for coffee some time.. Maybe I could even invite her husband.. but you know, now that I'll be working over the weekend.. it may be difficult to ask her out on a weekday.. So, I'll have to see how to work thinks out for us to meet.. Or I could just message her from time to time, and practice my Korean with her too.
Wednesday morning, I'm finally taking my car to get my summer tires back on.. Parents have plans (my mum goes to a sauna once a week, it's the Korean style), so I'll be on my own.. I'll let them know I'll be waiting around.. So, I'll be walking to the end of the block across the street and find a place to have breakfast.. depending on how long it'll take them, hopefully won't be more than 2 hours.. I found a Gluten-free bakery further down, so, if time permits, I'll check that out too.
So, I was telling my mum about Saturday's morning shift, how there's no skytrain that runs that early in the morning.. and taking the bus will take a long time.. she actually told me to drive instead.. honestly though, I don't feel comfortable driving at that hour.. and really, the ride I was on when my dad drove me to the interview.. I don't really remember which road we took.. So, I haven't really figured out how to get to work on that first Saturday working the morning shift yet.. Do people work that early on a Saturday if I were to call Uber? Should I choose a female driver?
Oh, I checked the transit incentive program for staff.. I missed the enrolment deadline to register for a pass for June.. So, I might need to pay the full price for the monthly transit pass, and make sure I remember to register on the right date for July's pass.
May 1st, my parents will do a run with me for the route with the express train.. one more week..
@bestVase7265
I've decided this morning that I'm going to do a test drive by myself this Saturday. Taking the transit will take at least 1.5 hrs. At first, I thought about how it'd be nice if my parents could drop me off for work that one Saturday morning. But suddenly remembered, by then, my Aunt is here. So, I'll need to drive myself anyways. At first, my dad offered that they'd ride with me during the test drive, but I declined. As I would be even more stressed with passengers in the car with me. I'll end up driving around the area, to see where I could park. Hopefully, by then, I could get the staff rate. I'm going to need to study the map over the next couple days. Being on the road around 6am on a Saturday should have much less cars on the road. So, I just need to make sure I don't miss any exits off the highway. But coming home, there would be more cars on the road = more stress.
Tomorrow, the transit run with my parents, then, I'll go again myself on Friday. Then, the test drive on Saturday. If I feel okay with the transit on my own on Friday, for next Monday, I might need to do a test run for taking transit later in the day.. as by then, I won't have the option to take the express train (which only runs during rush hour).
At first, I made an appointment with my GP for Monday, to get my immunization records. But after asking my Manager, she gave me a link that shows my records, the ones I went for when I first started the job, 7 years ago. So, I had canceled the appointment. As a new hire, there are certain immunizations that need to be completed or taken a booster shot for. I couldn't find it in my records, so luckily my Manager gave me the link. But since I don't have the log in domain for new hospital yet, I'm unable to report my immunization records. But the orientation package did say that I need to do it within the first 2 weeks of my start date. I guess it's not something I can do ahead of time. And since I don't have the record on paper and cannot print it out because the link is connected to the hospital's intranet, I might need to use the other option and call to speak with a nurse. Rather than being able to scan and attach as a file. Which I guess I can do on the 12th, as during orientation, I'll be off Sundays and Mondays.
Last night, my brother was suddenly talking about getting prescription glasses. It started when my dad asked my brother if he has anymore extra frames lying around that is light and he wants to get another pair. Then, my brother goes on saying that even if someone gets a new pair, it should be mum. Then, he was like, she could use my benefit plan, since it's counted every 24 months, he says its better to use it earlier on, as it is counted from the day I use it. The place my brother got his glasses says the guy working there is willing to write the claim, as with his glasses, he used his best friend's benefit. And since I've already got new glasses from Japan the past December, I don't need it.
My mum was joking though, the new employer might think I'm taking this job because of the benefits.. as I'm using the dental benefit one week after it's effective, and then, getting the glasses earlier on.. so, not sure if that's a good idea. Would they really think like that? Because in the interview, I mentioned that benefits are a bonus to me, the most important is the passion I have and purpose I see in doing this type of work as a career.