A Communication Space for Jaeteuk and bestVase7265 only. (Please do not reply or respond, thank you)
I hope this can be a start of support for the long-term for the both of us.
@bestVase7265
So, the instructor for my course is leaving us for another position in the College, her last day is today, August 9th. She says, everything that is handed in by today, she will grade when she returns from vacation. She's away until the 24th. The remaining of the course will be handed over to another instructor, who will mark the rest of our assignments. I didn't know instructors can leave the jobs halfway through a course they are teaching, it seems a bit irresponsible to your students.
I'm halfway through the course, my next assignment, supposed to discuss with a partner. I've emailed her my discussion thoughts, it's been a week since the email and I haven't heard a reply from her yet. We have two weeks to do this assignment, I guess I'll just start it first myself.
By the way, I'm finally getting a new crown for my implant tooth. Although it's not covered from my medical, as they consider it more cosmetic than a restoration, but it is something I've been wanting to fix. About 10 years ago, I had an implant done to my tooth, as when my baby tooth fell, there was no adult teeth. So, for the longest time, I wore a retainer with a fake tooth attached to keep the hole, for the implant. When I finally got the implant, there was a time where it chipped, and instead of giving me a new crown, the periodontist ended up sanding the tooth down. So, my tooth had looked smaller than the teeth beside it. It has been one of my reasons why I've never liked to smile when having my picture taken (aside from the main reason of not liking my picture taken at all). So, I'm finally starting the first process with my new dentist on Tuesday. This time, I'm going to park my rental car elsewhere, can't have this car hit too.
By the way, with my car being hit in the parking lot a month ago. I finally got an update on it. The Estimator finally contacted me, saying after calling the Shop I requested it to be taken for the repair, the Shop doesn't have an opening until the week of August 17th. So, depending when they will tow my car there, beginning or end of the week. They'll need to order a new bumper to replace my car, it may be by the end of this month before I get my car back. The rental has more features during the drive and parking-wise, but otherwise, I don't really like it.
I am glad that you are moving forward on the tooth front. It will be good to get it done and be less self conscious (though I am sure that you are pretty anyway).
It sounds like the car will eventually work itself out.
It is odd for a teacher to change courses mid semester, but online can be a little different. I am sure that you will still be learning good stuff anyway. Just focus on any tips that you pick up. @Jaeteuk
I received a message this morning, a past colleague of mine is her last day of work today. An early retirement, as she's not even 60 yet, but in the past couple of years, she fell twice in her co-op home, and has hurt her spine. The doctor had told her she cannot stand for long hours, which is the type of work that requires a lot of standing in the Hospital. Before I left the hospital we worked together in, she was having knee issues too. It would swell up for no apparent reason, as with her doctors, they could not find the cause. I went out this morning to buy a card and small gift. I bought a mug with a kitty on it, as she's a cat-person.
I am meeting up with another past colleague we both worked together with her later. In about an hour's time, I'll take the bus and meet with her. The bus ride is like only 5 minutes, as it's not worth driving and pay for parking at a regular fee. So, might as well take the shuttle bus.
By the way, I also got a reply from the repair shop for my car. They will be replacing the front bumper, left fender, fender liner, left headlight, and some brackets. With the estimated repair cost of $6900. The repair would take 8-10 business days, so the latest I'd get my vehicle back would be September 1st.
Sorry to hear about your colleague, but it is good that it won't take too much longer with your car.
My dad died on Monday, less than 4 months after mom passed. My semester also got underway on the weekend so it has all been quite overwhelming. But I keep trying. @Jaeteuk
Oh my gosh, sending virtual hugs and my condolences to you.
I have an online friend I've known for more than a decade, she's from South Africa. Her dad passed away end of July. It was her birthday yesterday, I didn't make a big deal out of it, but did send her birthday wishes and virtual hugs.
@bestVase7265
Thank you. It is all really overwhelming at the moment. @Jaeteuk
I got a message this morning from the car repair shop, last week, I asked if they could check the wheel alignment, since the impact of the hit had moved my car out of it's original parking spot. I got a message from them this morning, saying that they got the approval from the Claims to get the wheel alignment checked. So, I asked if my vehicle would be ready soon. They said, because they are still waiting for some parts, they haven't started working on the car yet. So, it really looks like September 1st may be the earliest I'd get my car back. Maybe because my car is 10 years old, it takes longer to get the needed parts?
I've finished the most difficult assignment for my course yesterday. I'm doing the last part of it today. Now, the remaining two weeks should be simpler. Wait, I looked at next week's assignment, need to write a max of two pages for the first part. I'm just glad I get 3 days off, but looking online, my classmates had finished all the assignments long ago. Maybe they had more time in their schedules to do the assignments earlier on.
You will get all the work done on time. Worry about your own pace. No need to compare it to anyone else's. @Jaeteuk
I think I'll try and finish the rest of the course by Tuesday. I need to start working on preparations for my upcoming class. I get one extra student this time, I already have the class list, seven of them. But about three of their names, I have no idea how it's pronounced. So, I'm hoping I could assist in the Theory classes for 2 weekends in September and meet my students ahead of time. Learn their names. At least I know one of them, is a friend of a current colleague. Hopefully she's easy to teach. This time, it looks like half and half, not all female.
I was going to have lunch with my parents tomorrow, but forgot they have to attend a friend's birthday, where they start with lunch and then games until dinner. So, we went out for brunch this morning instead, with my brother of course. But if it was on a Monday, it would've just been my parents and I. Tomorrow I've got two appointments, in the morning, to check my x-ray results on my knees and in the afternoon, getting my crown on. Meaning, I might have to go out twice, as I don't think I'll be able to stay out from 10:30am to 1pm myself. Unless I go to the library or something, I'll decide tomorrow.
@bestVase7265
It sounds you should do good with a new class. I will start with my regular classes next week.
Sorry I missed a few days. Life has been really hard lately. @Jaeteuk
Hope your classes could help you cope with these hard times~
@bestVase7265
Thank you. Some of it does help but the rapid three week August term is a bit like boot camp and very intense. Now we jump into the regular semester which will hopefully feel more manageable in a few weeks. @Jaeteuk
It does sound very intense.
I ended up catching a cold. Yesterday at work, in the afternoon, my throat felt irritated so I kept coughing. Thought it was allergies. Got home, and was coughing more at night in bed. Waking up this morning, I was getting the chills and coughing. I still drove to work, but ended up leaving at 4pm. I've just got home like half an hour ago, and called in sick for my shift tomorrow.
I had plans earlier for the holiday on Monday, meeting up another Instructor to grab a bite, and lend her my textbook. But, I canceled our bite, and will just meet her to give her the textbook.
I hope I get better before I start teaching October 5th. At least I'll be on vacation from September 12th to 24th. I also had to cancel another meeting with the Program Coordinator for September 14th, made an appointment with my doctor instead.
@bestVase7265
I hope that you start feeling better soon. Colds are never fun. @Jaeteuk
My colds always comes with a fever. Last night, my temperature didn't go down until 3am or so. I ended up waking up and went to get a wet towel to place on my forehead. My body was hot and sweaty so I couldn't sleep. Maybe I'll end up canceling the doctor's appointment, and just stay home and rest. I'll have to see how I feel at work on Thursday too, maybe I'll just stay until I've got my Performance Review done and request to leave afterwards.
My body is aching, and I just want to crawl in bed and sleep. It's only 8:10pm now, I have wait at least another half hour before it's time to take medication and head to bed. Getting runny nose today, along with the coughs. My dad has agreed to give me a ride tomorrow to meet with the other Clinical Instructor to pass my textbook to her. She asked how much she owes me, I was like, save the money, for when I'm not sick and we meet up for a bite, her treat. I couldn't find online how much a second-hand book would cost, as I only bought it new and used it for the course. Aside from writing some marks in pencil in it, it's like a brand new book.
@bestVase7265
I hope that you start to feel better soon. Rest as much as you can. @Jaeteuk
So, my dad's car been having problems lately, he took it into the garage yesterday to get it checked, turns out it's something about the ABS and its pump. Basically, the fix would be more than the worth of the vehicle. So yesterday, my mum had a one-on-one brief chat with me, as they are thinking of trading in both mine and dad's vehicle for one mid-sized, 5-seat, hybrid. Mum says it would still be my car, as they would still have it under my name, my insurance. But dad doesn't like my car as it's too low, he's used to driving the SUV type of car for the past decades. So, he feels my car is too low, and it's difficult for my parents to get in and out of the seats.
So, they said, when they do go car shopping, I need to feel comfortable driving it too. If it's really going to be my second car, the only thing I want is for it to be blue. And of course, I have to feel good/confident in driving it, as I would be driving it to work on my weekend shifts.
It sounds like that would be quite nice. You just have to be sure again that it is something that you are comfortable with driving. So give yourself time as you make the decision together.
I just bought a new bed and did lots of research before we made the purchase. Hopefully it will work well and help my back. @Jaeteuk
I get to assist in a Theory class tomorrow, so Saturday will be like working on a holiday. Since I'm on my paid vacation from work, and the pay with the College is 1.5x more per hour. I get to meet my students tomorrow, better than meeting them on the first day of Clinical, October 5th.
I'm back to work next Friday, working six more shifts before class starts. Then, for the next 3 months, I'll be working 6 days a week. The College has already verified with 4 Clinical Instructors to have students in the next Winter term. When I return to work, I also have to get my vacation filled out for next year. We can fill out a backup form first, and when the vacation rounds start, and if I'm not at work during my turn, to fill out the vacation for next year, then, they could use the back up form instead.
Next week, I have plans on Monday and Tuesday. Monday, I'm meeting the Program Coordinator at noon at the College. All Instructors were to meet with her once before we start teaching the Clinical portion. Then, on Tuesday, I have a dental appointment. I got a new crown for my implant tooth. Dentist says I've got a gap in my front teeth, of which she can fill it up. I'm also wanting to get a night guard done, as I have been told by my previous dentist, that I grind my teeth when I sleep at night. But back then, I did not have any medical insurance, so did not get one. Now that I do, I want to keep my teeth looking nice.
Lots of great plans. I wish you a good semester ahead. @Jaeteuk
I met my students today, they are a quiet group. I'll have to see how they are like during the Orientation. I can usually get an idea of the type of student or person they are within the first few days. I hope they are good students too, I don't want to be failing students this term.
@bestVase7265
Each group is entirely different. Some will very much be quieter than others. You just take it one class at a time. @Jaeteuk
Yes, I've also noticed that with this group, the students culture is very mixed. Got the quieter ones. I noticed one of my students seem to have a strong, bold personality.. So, I'll have to see how she communicates and works with others. Won't be good if she clashes with the staff, or acts like a know-it-all.
So, yesterday, I learned the other Instructor has her meeting after me. So this afternoon, I asked her if she has plans afterwards. I will wait for her in the cafeteria, then, we'll go hang out afterwards. I couldn't grab a bite with her a couple of weeks ago when I was recovering from a cold. I had asked my dad and brother to help me meet with her to sell her my textbook. If I wasn't sick, we had planned to grab lunch together. So, I'll meet with her tomorrow instead. 2 more weeks until our classes start!
I've scheduled an email to be sent out to my students on Monday morning at 8am. Basically explaining where to meet and how to find the building, advising to take transit, as street parking is difficult to find, talked about what we'll be doing on the first day, etc. Then, ended with how they can ask me anything before the first day if they have more questions or concerns.
@bestVase7265
That sounds good. I usually send out emails before we start too. Sometimes I include a short survey to get to know them better - where are you from, what kinds of things can I do to help you be a better student in my class, what are you most excited to learn? But I have less professional students than you do.@Jaeteuk
During my orientation, before I give out handouts, I usually have like a self-introduction time. So then, they usually say why they're taking the course or where they've worked previously.
Having done a 2-hr dental work yesterday, my gums are still a bit inflamed. So, I'll be resting mostly today. Took an Advil after breakfast, I'll probably go take a nap soon, just spend some time checking emails first. This Friday is my parent's 45th Anniversary, since I'm back to work on Friday, I offered to treat them to dinner tomorrow instead.
@bestVase7265
Hopefully the teeth pain has begun decreasing and you have a lovely time out celebrating your parents' wedding anniversary. @Jaeteuk
Ever since Thursday night, knowing that I start teaching on Monday, October 5th, I have been excited and nervous. Meaning, my sleep is interrupted. Since Thursday night, I've been waking up every other hour, no matter what time I went to bed. I'll have to see if for this term, I'm back on the adrenaline rush. I remember my first semester, I felt like I was on adrenaline rush every day. Even during my ride to work, I felt excited, and the moment I step foot in the hospital, I was even more awake and energized.
I'm thinking I'll take one train earlier for my first day, so I can use the morning to organize my things. I need to check out a place or two, so I can take them on the tour. I'm still trying to think of a way to tell them, that I want them to address me by my name, and not any shortened version. Honestly, I'm actually pretty particular in details like that. The staff usually calls me by a shortened version, but deep down, it actually bothers me. I have my own principles and standards, in my mind, only people I'm close with can call my name in the shortened version. And colleagues at work, we aren't close-close, so, due to respect, I feel that I should be addressed by my full name. But then again, I don't think others see that as a problem, so I've just let it be.
But as an Instructor, I want to somehow make it clear to my students. That they should address me by my full name and not a shortened version. Any ideas how I should word this?
It is actually very simple. "As your instructor, I prefer to be addressed as ..." This is a perpetual thing with professors and new students. I am not "Mrs So and So" like in high school. I am "Professor So and So" and all of your future instructors deserve the respect of being called as they want to be called. You as students deserve the same thing. So what exactly do you want to be called? Is it James or Jim? Your students also want to be called by the name that they like the best. This sets a much better stage for collaborating well together.
Good luck. The first day of a new semester is always exciting. @JaeteukThe first day went quite smoothly. The only problem was, the Manager has been away since last Thursday and she worked from home today, on Monday. I'm hoping she's in tomorrow, so I can get the Temp ID Cards from her. Otherwise, like today, I had to follow my students during the two 30 minute breaks, as they need the ID to get through doors to the cafeteria. I also I have use my ID to let them into the change rooms. Tomorrow morning, I will meet the group in the lobby at 9:50am, to let them into the building, use the staff elevators, and into the change rooms. As my second group of students, I finished a walk-through of the department by mid-day. Since I originally allocated 3 days of Orientation, with the agreement from the students, I will spend the remaining two days to thoroughly show them around each station. So hopefully, that will use up those 3 days and they can start the buddy-system by Thursday.
@bestVase7265
That sounds good. I like how you are already thinking in terms of the students taking charge of their own education in making the decision to focus on learning each station. The cards will come. @Jaeteuk