Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Did having a diagnosis help you or would you prefer to of not been diagnosed

User Profile: insecure1992
insecure1992 January 29th, 2021

I got diagnosed in 2014 and it helped me immensely. I realised I wasn't the only person like me and I felt like I didn't have to feel bad anymore because there was a reason for why I was the way I was. At the time they was very reluctant to diagnose me with anything as they said having a diagnosis can make things harder for some people and I don't understand why? I couldn't get any help or support or do my DBT until I had been diagnosed and don't understand how having a diagnosis is not beneficial? Interested to hear others opinions? Thanks

3
User Profile: Dancia
Dancia January 29th, 2021

I think it can be helpful because it’s almost like getting validated and that youre not the only one who is going through the mental turmoil.

1 reply
User Profile: insecure1992
insecure1992 OP January 29th, 2021

I totally agree, good choice of words

load more
User Profile: LucieLucie
LucieLucie February 20th, 2021

I totally agree, I have been diagnosed just a few months ago and my previous therapists were refusing to give me any diagnosis. They said diagnosis is like a sticker that never leaves you and keeps you sick. I couldnt disagree more. Being diagnosed set me free and made me feel normal, no matter how weird it sounds. Giving a name to such a huge disorganised pack of issues made it way clearer, easier to work on and possible to become a part of a community, which I found the most beneficial 🙃