Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do you manage not being too much for new people?

User Profile: emotionalBlueberry999
emotionalBlueberry999 September 19th, 2021

When i meet a new person i really really like i tend ti get way too attached way too quickly and get desperate for their constant attention and interaction and i ultimately end up scaring people off and it ends with me being sad and feeling alone, how do you rope yourself in and not feel that way?

3
User Profile: QuietMagic
QuietMagic September 19th, 2021

@emotionalBlueberry999

Hi--that makes sense what you're describing. If you find someone that you like and feel like you'd get along well with, you feel really attached to them and become really interested in talking to them, spending time with them, and getting closer to them. And sometimes it can feel like a lot for other people so they end up distancing themselves, which leaves you feeling lonely/rejected.

I can't say for sure what would help, but these are some things I've done in my own life that have helped me a bit.

  • If I meet someone who I feel like I have a great chance of getting along with, I might recognize that but not express 100% of what I'm thinking/feeling immediately. I might hold back a bit and share just a bit of it to see how the other person responds. And if they're excited/interested or respond positively, then I'll share more of myself gradually.
  • I like to talk with people and ask what their preferences are for how often to talk/meet and reach an agreement on that. Scheduling regular times for hanging out (e.g. 1x/week) is something I especially like. If someone agrees to something, then I don't have to worry about it burdening them. (Occasionally I might even ask people's permission before sharing things just so I feel like I'm not stealing time/attention from them.)
  • I find it helpful to have more than one person that I'm able to be friendly with and share things with; that way I'm not expecting just a single person to be everything for me
  • I like having my own independent hobbies or self-care activities going on in my life that I'm able to enjoy or find comfort/meaning in when I'm feeling sad, lonely, or unhappy so that I'm not putting all of my hopes on other people for support
User Profile: Tamy4210
Tamy4210 September 28th, 2021

@QuietMagic

I wanted to reply but @QuietMagic has written everything needed properly and in fact, it was helpful for me too so thank you.

User Profile: QuietMagic
QuietMagic September 28th, 2021

@Tamy4210

Glad it felt helpful 💜

load more
load more