2 Signs Your Food Habits Are Messing with Your Mental Health

Here are two research-backed examples of how our food habits impact mental health.
#1. Food choices can lead to social isolation
There are as many types of diets and food restrictions in the world today as there are types of food. There’s veganism, vegetarianism, pescetarianism, dairy-free, and gluten-free diets, just to name a few.
Whether this abundance of options is good or bad for our mental health is difficult to say. There is research, however, to show that diets with very specific food restrictions can have the unintended consequence of increasing feelings of loneliness and social isolation.
#2. Extreme healthy eating can be unhealthy
Weight loss and a thin body are both considered to be features of a healthy person in our society. This is a fairly reductive way to view overall health and wellness. Moreover, the pursuit of a slim body can lead to several mental health conditions, including eating disorders."
*It's so important that we keep our mental health in check by making sure we are happy in all aspects of life, including our eating habits. Not only do we have to eat a balanced meal, but we have to make sure our habits aren't leading us to isolation. Keeping everything in balance is very important and you don't want to have so much of something that it turns into a negative. Do you feel as though your eating habits affect your mental health? If so, how?*
#Food #EatingHabits #Balance
The full article can be found at Psychology Today.
"but we have to make sure our habits aren't leading us to isolation."
Yikes on the ableism there!
Many of the diets people utilize aren't really a choice in terms of oh well I can just cheat to go out with my friends and be ok. There can be really severe illness consequences if someone eats foods that do not work well for them.
If people are isolated because of their diets, I think that's more of a societal issue than something an individual should be looking to overcome on their own. Why aren't we as a culture being more inclusive? Something like a gluten-free or low FODMAP diet doesn't need to be a disability, but when those aren't being accommodated for by others they become disabilities.
@AffyAvo I definitely don't think I worded that in the way that was meant to attack anyone. I just wrote it as a way to not let specific diets from not going out and socializing and sharing meals with our loved ones. I think we are moving in a great way as a society and there are so many restaurants out there that are able to accomodate most diets! I think this article meant isolation as in people feel as though they aren't able to enjoy themselves as much as they think, but there are so many options out there for everyone to enjoy! 😊
@fruityPond7887 Sorry, I thought that quote came from the article itself. Overall though, the article does seem to blame the people using the diet and not society as a whole. I do think people need to take some responsibility in terms of 'getting out there' (when safe) even if they aren't eating the same things as everyone else. Others though also need to be more accommodating, full ingredient lists, options for various diets and if not able to offer a dish that is safe for them, at least making it easy for them to bring in their own food.
@fruityPond7887
Intersting read! Yes, I do certaintly belive that. It's like a vicious cycle if you feel bad- you eat bad. If you feel good-you eat good. So I think there is a strong connection between our mental health and the amount of junk-food we consume. Since "comfort foods" is a real issue and can really quickly start to become a reoccuring unhealthy eating pattern.