Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

4 Thought Exercises to Try to Improve Mental Health

User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 September 7th, 2022

"What are thought exercises?

Thought exercises help you disentangle yourself from your thoughts, so they no longer hold such power over you.

What are the benefits of thought exercises?

Thought exercises help us see our thoughts more clearly and objectively.

4 thought exercises to try

1. Cognitive defusion exercise

Most of the time, we live in a state of cognitive fusion — fully believing our thoughts without giving them a second thought. Cognitive defusion is a technique used in ACT that can help you detangle and distance yourself from negative thoughts and feelings.

When a certain negative thought is overwhelming you, try the following exercise:

1. Think of a negative thought you often have that causes painful emotions. (Eg. “I am unlovable.”)

2. Say the thought out loud several times.

3. To defuse this thought, start this phrase with “I’m having the thought…” (Eg. “I’m having the thought that I am unlovable.”

4. To defuse it even more, start the phrase with “I notice I’m having the thought that…” (Eg. “I notice I’m having the thought that I am unlovable.”

5. Now take a moment to consider how different it felt to say these phrases. When you notice yourself thinking negative thoughts, take a moment to defuse them so you can get some distance from them.

2. Thank your mind for the story

Our minds love to tell us the same negative stories over and over. Your mind might say to you: “You’re a total failure” or “No matter how hard you try, you can never succeed.” In the “thank your mind for the story” technique, you will give the familiar story a name, thank your mind for telling it, and then focus on the task at hand while it plays itself out in the background. This technique allows you to acknowledge the story from a distance without giving it any power over you.

3. Put your flaws into context: a self-compassion exercise

We tend to beat ourselves up over the parts of ourselves that we don’t particularly like. In these moments, all we see is the flaw, and we forget about the parts of ourselves that we like.

To counter the tendency to berate yourself when things aren’t going well, ask yourself the following questions:

  • Does this failure or mistake take away from my good qualities?

  • Does it make sense to determine that I’m a total failure because of this situation?

  • Change the narrative: “I’m messy when I get overwhelmed. But I can start to work on this today.”

4. Sing it

This exercise brings your subliminal thoughts into the light so you can see them more clearly — and work with them. Let’s say you notice that you’re feeling somewhat uptight today. Think deeply about what’s bothering you. Make a song out of it. While this doesn’t make the issue go away, it does bring your worry into the light for clarity. It allows you to see it as just another thought and helps lighten the heavy effect it’s been having on you."

Read the complete article available at Psych Central!

Reflection:

What do you think about these exercises? Would you try them?

#MentalHealth #ThoughtExercises #EmotionalRegulation #SelfCompassion


5
User Profile: calmDew1576
calmDew1576 September 7th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463 These are some great exercises that I will definitely try! Some of them look very much like midfulness which has been very effective for me.

I'm currently curious about the "law of attraction" and how it works. I'm pretty sure that if a person really wants something, they can definitely achieve it. That's another type of mindfulness I would like to try.

Thanks for the post!

1 reply
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP September 8th, 2022

@calmDew1576 Yes, I've heard of that before. It's quite interesting how we can manifest something and have it happen. It all comes down to the power of our mind. If we think we can achieve something, and put in the effort then we most definitely will. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

load more
User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 September 7th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

Thought exercises sound like they can be very beneficial!

I find cognition so interesting, and it’s insightful to see that there are ways we can exercise it.

I will definitely be trying the exercise.

Thanks for the article💛✨

1 reply
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP September 8th, 2022

@innateJoy9602 You're most welcome! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

load more
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 September 8th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

The song option is very interesting! and the first time I've heard it. I'll probably not be able to try it due to my lack of musical ability and time, but I'm glad there are so many creative methods to go about these thought exercises. Like there's many ways to work out your body there are many ways to work out your thoughts as well!