Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Balanced meal timing may benefit cognitive health, study shows

User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 September 29th, 2022

aqCTBYlkswFI0xvyIh0TpwYK3FIT2xAOdT2tIqS6VzUFhI3YsxSr_rQv1D5MB0-EyR74aMqxauogo280QRxhGRmiTdJQumib-zvc-_folFSXJXGtd4oYU4Ff5RgTw9eFu4r5qzhVkUYomqq6PyFQMhv_WKpTCvcXD7gePD8fNQJ8djc61aLuFbQB


“To better understand the effects that energy intake and meal timing have on cognition, a new study takes a look at the potential effect on cognitive decline of different meal schedules, or temporal patterns of energy intake (TPEI). The results show that consuming three balanced meals each is associated with better cognitive function, compared to other, less evenly distributed ways of consuming one’s total energy intake, or TEI. The study also demonstrates that skipping breakfast is associated with worse cognitive function and faster cognitive decline.

Effects of different energy intakes on meal schedules

The researchers categorized individuals’ meal timing into six eating patterns:

  • Evenly distributed: People balanced their energy intake across three roughly equivalent meals per day. They consumed 28.5% of their daily energy at breakfast, 36.3% at lunch, and 33.8% at dinner.

  • Breakfast-dominant: People ate three meals, but consumed the greatest share of energy, 49.5% at breakfast.

  • Lunch-dominant: People ate three meals, but consumed the greatest share of energy, 64.3% at lunch.

  • Dinner-dominant: People ate three meals, but consumed the greatest share of energy, 64.5% at dinner.

  • Snack-rich: People consumed 36.8% of their TEI from snacks.

  • Breakfast-skipping: People ate little or no breakfast, consuming just 5.9% of their TEI.

The breakfast-skipping pattern was linked to a cognitive decline of 0.14 cognitive-test points a year, compared to the evenly distributed pattern. However, when the researchers modified the possible TPEIs into just four patterns — evenly distributed, breakfast-dominant, lunch-dominant, and dinner-dominant — all of them except for the first were linked to lower cognitive function. None of them were associated, however, with an accelerated loss of function.

Possible underlying mechanisms

Previous research has indicated that meal timing affects the body’s circadian clock. He said this means “you are keeping the feeding rhythms synchronized with your internal clock.” He noted that eating this way can include three meals, “as well as meal [or] energy intake between meal times.” Be that as it may, more research on the long-term benefits of meal timing on cognitive health is still needed. “Cognitive issues are multifactorial, and there’s still a very limited understanding,” Dr. Segil concluded.”


Read the complete article available at Medical News Today!


Reflection:

Do you have a balanced meal timing? What among the six eating patterns do you relate to?


#Diet #CognitiveFunction #Research








4
User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 September 29th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

I think I try my best to keep a good meal schedule.

I feel I am more breakfast-dominant!

Thanks for the article:)💛💫

1 reply
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP November 2nd, 2022

@innateJoy9602 I wish you the best in your nutrition journey. Thanks for sharing!

load more
User Profile: calmDew1576
calmDew1576 September 30th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463 In the country that I was born, lunch-dominant and breakfast-skipping diets are very popular. I try to be consistent with my meals and have approximately the same amount of calories in each meal. I believe a breakfast-dominant diet would be the best option. I just started following a nutrition plan so hopefully I'll manage to be more consistent! I think that's a great option. Thank you for the interesting post!

1 reply
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP November 2nd, 2022

@calmDew1576 I wish you the best in your nutrition journey. You got this! Thanks for sharing.

load more