Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Be It Happy or Sad Songs, Music Before Bed Could Mean Better Sleep

User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 August 26th, 2022

_1661525469.image.png

"Past research exploring music played before bed has been divided. Some studies have shown relaxing classical music reduces sleep issues, while others have shown that people who frequently listen to music before going to bed suffer worse sleep quality. The answer to this debate may lie in the type of music that's played.

Varied Frequencies at Bedtime


Researchers asked 62 participants, who ranged from 19-32 years old, to focus on three types of music before bed: happy music, sad music, or pink noise, which consists of sounds at a frequency that filters out distractions.

The results revealed that participants experienced better sleep quality after listening to happy or sad music over listening to pink noise. But no significant difference in sleep quality was reported between listening to happy or sad music. The benefits also continued, as participants also reported reduced stress and greater life satisfaction the following day.

Music and the Mind


Psychiatrist Alex Dimitriu, MD, who specializes in sleep medicine, notes that music is a fairly powerful emotional tool.

"Music can bring out feelings, including relaxation, and also reduce mind wandering often seen in anxious or stressed individuals," he says. Research exploring music's effect on the body has shown that relaxing music can actually reduce heart rate and blood pressure. At the same time, Dimitriu notes that, because fast, loud, or intense music could potentially have the opposite effect and increase heart rate, it should be avoided before bedtime.

"Check in with yourself and make sure you like how the music makes you feel," Dimitriu says. "Again, this effect should be subtle. Sleep is a natural process that occurs best in a cool, dark, and quiet room.""

Read the complete article available at Very Well Mind!

Reflection:

Do you listen to music before bed? How has it affected your sleep?

*Sometimes I play an audio of rain falling on YouTube when I try to take a nap and it feels so soothing and lulls me to sleep.*

#Sleep #Music #Research


7
User Profile: calmDew1576
calmDew1576 August 26th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463 Music has been proved to help in various psychological issues and seems effective in changning our mood as well! Research has shown that different types of music seemed to affect even palnt growth! Thanks for the post!

1 reply
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP August 27th, 2022

@calmDew1576 Thanks for sharing this information! It is very appreciated!

load more
User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 August 26th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

Yes! I always put in my earphones for a bit before bed!

I love listening to relaxing lo-fi type music.

I think it definitely helps me sleep better!

Thanks for sharing night<3 ✨💛

1 reply
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP August 27th, 2022

@innateJoy9602 I study to lo-fi music too! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

load more
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 August 27th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

I like to play some classical music before I sleep! There's a specific type online where you can listen to classical music with a rainy ambience. playing that I probably could knock out in less than 10 minutes!

1 reply
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP August 28th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 I would love to try that. Thanks for sharing!

load more
User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 August 30th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

I love to listen to ASMR videos, the sound helps me relax and fall asleep. Thank you so much for sharing this article!