Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Crossword Puzzles vs Sudoku, Wordle: Which Is Better For Improving Your Memory?

User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 November 11th, 2022

“If you're looking for brain games that really work to keep your mind sharp, your best bets are crossword puzzles, Sudoku and Wordle. But of these three, the first is particularly helpful at improving your memory, say the researchers behind a new study.

Challenging puzzles are serious business: past research has repeatedly shown how it can benefit the brain. According to a 2019 study involving 19 000 participants, crossword and Sudoku puzzles led to sharper performance "across a range of tasks assessing memory, attention, and reasoning."

In a more recent study, however, the crossword puzzle came out on top.

The team, from Columbia University and Duke University in the US, recruited more than 100 participants (45 male, 62 female) between the ages of 55 and 95 years with mild cognitive impairment (MCI), which increases the risk of dementia. The average age of participants was 71 years.

Then, they were divided randomly into two groups: one group was asked to play crosswords, while the other played other cognitive games.

After 78 weeks, the researchers found that not only did the participants who played crosswords have less brain shrinkage than the ones who played other games, but they also didn't experience as much decline in cognitive or functional ability."

Read the full article on News 24

_1668130783.image.png

✨Takeaway: Crossword puzzles, Sudoku, and other brain teasers can keep our minds active. Over the years, studies have demonstrated how it might enhance cognitive functions, particularly memory. Crossword puzzles, however, beat other brain games in the most recent study, but that doesn't mean the others are pointless. According to experts, playing any brain game is beneficial to not playing any at all.

✨Reflection: Which do you prefer crossword puzzles, sudoku, or wordle?

#Memory #Puzzles #Sudoku #Wordle #Crossword #Cognition #Hobbies #Psychology


10
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo November 11th, 2022

@innateJoy9602 For wordle style games I really like octordle and have been into waffle too. My guess is waffle is probably the best in terms of memory if seeking 5 stars. For other puzzle like games Nonograms is one I really like.

User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 OP November 11th, 2022

@AffyAvo

Waffle is great! I have never tried nonograms actually. But I just looked it up and seems like something I'd love! I'll check it out!💜

load more
User Profile: Stressedout76
Stressedout76 November 11th, 2022

Wordle cause it gets your mind thinking and distracts the feelings you were feeling preveous ,and also strengthens you vocabulary and plus this game is addicting 👍

User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 OP November 11th, 2022

@Stressedout76

Very true! I never realized how much it can help as a form of distraction, but it really can! Also, yes! Very addicting :)💜

load more
November 13th, 2022

I love Sudoku! I've been playing it for years just for fun. This post reminds me to solve all the challenges in the physical book I bought last year, and I thank you for reminding me of its benefits.

User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 OP November 13th, 2022

@Helpingheart23

Sudoku is one of my all time favorites! I'm glad it served as a reminder! I would love to have a physical book, I mostly do it online. I will have to buy one! 💜

load more
User Profile: BNickieB
BNickieB August 21st, 2023

I think all such games help improve memory. I like sudoku most of all.

User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 OP August 21st, 2023

@BNickieB

I think so to! Sudoku is really fun, it's like a brain workout (: 💜

load more
User Profile: BesYar
BesYar August 21st, 2023

I always loved crosswords. I remember I took my grandmother's newspaper in the hope of finding a crossword there. And I still do crosswords, though online, mostly on the crosswords.today site. It is interesting and I can spend hours there. By the way, my grandmother did crosswords all her life and had a great memory. I hope mine won't get worse over the years.

User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 OP August 21st, 2023

@BesYar

What a lovely memory to have with you!

By the looks of it, it seems you're doing all the right things to keep it sharp! (: 💜

load more