Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Healthline: Yes, You Can Get a Sunburn Even on a Cloudy Day

User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 July 16th, 2022

“Being outside is great for our physical, emotional, and mental health. When you’re heading outdoors, it’s important to take steps to protect your skin from the sun.

It might be tempting to skip sun protection when you can’t see the sun through the clouds. But the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) radiation, while invisible, is still very powerful. UV radiation can still harm your skin on cloudy days, causing sunburn and skin damage that increases your risk of skin cancer. That’s why it’s so important to seek shade often and use sun protection all year long.

The sun’s UV radiation can be strengthened and do more damage when it hits reflective surfaces like water, cement, sand, and snow. So, it’s especially important to ensure you have adequate sun protection when you’re in places or situations where you’ll encounter these sun-magnifying factors.”

Some Insights From This Article

  • Our skin is one of the most important organ systems we have in our body. Incidences of skin cancer are prevalent around the world especially now given the heightened sun exposure without proper sun protection.

  • However it is important to note that even when cloudy outside the sun can continue to damage our skin cells. That’s because UV rays can be bounced on reflective surfaces which clouds have many of (small water drops)

  • Most recent dermatologists suggest that we even wear sunscreen when indoors just to give our skin that added protection. Our skin is important and it’s time we recognize and integrate it into our health.

Do you wear sunscreen everyday?

Full article is here!

#Sunscreen #Skin #UV

17
User Profile: RarelyCharlie
RarelyCharlie July 16th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 This seems like potentially dangerous advice, when you consider that vitamin D deficiency is much more common than skin cancer.

Did you know that at 7 Cups our community guidelines do not allow us to give advice in the forums? And posts made for advertising purposes, such as advertising sunscreen products, are not allowed either.

Charlie

3 replies
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 July 16th, 2022

@RarelyCharlie Hi Charlie! I hope you are well! I don't think that @sunnyWriting4806 meant harm by sharing this article. I think they were just trying to share the benefits of wearing sunscreeen while outdoors 💛 Vitamin D deficiency and skin cancer are both harmful health conditions, but it's all about finding that balance ☀️ We can still go outside, I think they are just trying to encourage sunscreen usage to spread awareness and educate others on the dangers of UV rays. I also don't think they shared to advertise for sunscreen products. All in all, I think they are just trying to be helpful ❤️

1 reply
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP July 16th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

Couldn't have stated my intentions clearer. Thanks for explaining!

load more
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP July 16th, 2022

@RarelyCharlie

Hi Charlie, my apologies if this came out as a violation of community guidelines or potentially dangerous advice. As FruityPond7887 says, my intention was not to create dangerous situation regarding people to avoid the sun and and staying indoors all day. In fact, like you'd probably agree, Vitamin D deficiency is definitely a huge issue regarding its prevalence due to many people not getting proper sun exposure or even supplementation. Going outside and being exposed to the sun is a perhaps one of the best ways we can to combat that! However, my intention was just for people to be aware of skin cancer as well, as it's also been on trend given that people may not be mindful of sun protection. I have no intention of promoting sunblocks or advertising specific kind of brand or lotion either! Thanks for your feedback however, and I will be more mindful when posting from now on. Have a great day! :)

load more
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 July 16th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 I don't usually wear sunscreen everyday because I just tend to stay inside. But of course I wear it when I am outside for long periods of time, like the beach. I burn so easily as a red head and even if I do wear sunscreen, I always end up missing a spot and I find out later which spot that was 😂 I got burnt in Maine before in March 😂

2 replies
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP July 16th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

I had a period of swimming season when I just went out without using sunscreen, oh man how much I dealt with sunburns back during those days :D

1 reply
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 July 17th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 Oh my god never! I'd be a lobstah!!! ☀️

load more
load more
User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 July 16th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806

Actually, my friend just got sunburn a week ago, and she also said it was surprising because there were clouds in the sky so she was not careful enough. It is important not to underestimate it.

I do not wear sunscreen every day because I am not usually outside on hot days, but I try to always wear it when being on the beach or near the water.

1 reply
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP July 16th, 2022

@globalBraid3744

UV rays are definitely more sneaky then we think especially because they aren't associated with heat often times (infared rays). I agree it's definitely tempting to skip out on the sun protection on cold/clody days though!

load more
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo July 17th, 2022

Sunscreen can actually interfere with medical treatments, so I wasn't wearing it everyday anyway and these days I struggle to find topical products I do not react to.

3 replies
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP July 21st, 2022

@AffyAvo

That's definitely a good point! I know for me chemical formulations like avobenzone can sometimes trigger acne breakouts for me so I've been using mineral formulations instead such as zinc which are more sensitive skin friendly.

2 replies
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo July 21st, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 For me I don't think any of the sunscreen ingredients area actually the problem at least. I can't find a moisturize that doesn't trigger contact dermatitis flares (or even a soap that is 100% safe to later remove any products). So between that plus the medical treatments where it would have to be fully removed I've just been skipping it and avoiding the sun, using hats, etc.

I may be at the beach soon with family so hopefully I can tolerate sunscreen for a day.

1 reply
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP July 23rd, 2022

@AffyAvo

For sure! I understand that it may be different for everyone. Glad that you're mindful of the alternatives like wearing hats, staying in the shade, etc. Every little thing definitely helps.

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 July 22nd, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 It's hard to remember to re-apply but I most often wear sun screen. I don't have much risk of getting a severe sunburnt since I have quite a bit of melanin but I Do apply it either way to prevent skin cancer.

1 reply
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP July 23rd, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

Definitely it's important to note that everyone has different susceptibility to the sun depending on their genetics and the amount of melanin they have. But it definitely doesn't hurt to be extra safe!

load more
User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 July 26th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806

Amazing article! It's a really interesting topic and one that definitely needs more attention than what it gets! Personally, I wear sunscreen when I go outside but sometimes I forget to apply it during cloudy weather! But it's something that I'm trying to not only remind myself about but also my family <3 Thanks for sharing!

1 reply
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP July 30th, 2022

@professionalVision2624

Of course! Sun care if so important to safely enjoy sun and get our proper Vitamin D :) Thank you for reading!

load more