Positive Psychology: The Science and Research on Gratitude and Happiness

“Researchers in Positive Psychology have found that gratitude and happiness are always strongly correlated. A possible theory is that gratitude moves people to experience more positive emotions, to thoroughly enjoy the good experiences, better their health, face adversity, and develop and maintain relationships of strength, which in turn makes you happier. Some researchers suggest that giving thanks or showing gratitude for whatever you are doing is critical in order to be happy and that happiness can increase our longevity."
"Sonya Lyumbomirsky (2007), a psychology researcher, theorized that there are three causes of happiness.
- Genetic happiness set-point is responsible for 50% of our happiness, determined by our personalities.
- Intentional activity accounts for about 40% of our happiness, meaning the activities that we intentionally set out to do throughout our lives, that can better our well-being or increase our happiness.
- Environmental circumstances account for 10% of the reason we are happy, usually, it depends on the circumstances that which we are surrounded with and how this encourages or inhibits skills and opportunities for us to achieve happiness (Lyumbomirsky, 2007)."
“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, and confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.” (Melody Beattle)
Read the complete article here!
💬 What about today has been better than yesterday? What’s an aspect of your personality that you’re grateful for?
#PositivePsychology #Science #Happiness #Gratitude
@globalBraid3744
Hey Braid, thanks for this wonderful article. I love gratitude and I love happiness, and so I absolutely love the link between these two as well. It is a topic worth reflecting on more often, I feel. ❤️
Something better about today was that it was another day, another sunrise haha.
An aspect of my personality I'm grateful for, is my humility. ❤️
How about yourself?
@globalBraid3744 Today I was able to sit down and have Easter breakfast with my family when I haven't been able to do that for a long time due to everyone working and just life being busy, so I'm grateful for that! I am grateful that I try to make light of every situation that life hands me. Staying positive can help you push through the difficult times in life!