Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

ScienceDaily: Feeling chirpy: Being around birds is linked to lasting mental health benefits

User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 October 29th, 2022

“This improvement was also evident in people with a diagnosis of depression -- the most common mental illness worldwide -- indicating the potential role of birdlife in helping those with mental health conditions.

Published in Scientific Reports, the study used smartphone application Urban Mind to collect people's real-time reports of mental wellbeing alongside their reports of seeing or hearing birdsong.

This project was funded by the Medical Research Council (MRC), National Institute for Health and Care Research (NIHR) Maudsley Biomedical Research Centre and the NIHR Applied Research Collaboration South London.

Lead author Ryan Hammoud, Research Assistant at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience (IoPPN), King's College London, said: "There is growing evidence on the mental health benefits of being around nature and we intuitively think that the presence of birdsong and birds would help lift our mood. However, there is little research that has actually investigated the impact of birds on mental health in real-time and in a real environment. By using the Urban Mind app we have for the first time shown the direct link between seeing or hearing birds and positive mood. We hope this evidence can demonstrate the importance of protecting and providing environments to encourage birds, not only for biodiversity but for our mental health.""`

Some Insights From This Article

  • Did you know that hearing birds chirping can lead to better mental outcomes? There is now some correlational evidence that bird chirping in the environment can improve our general mental states.

  • This supports a growing body of research that posits the benefits of nature to our mental health. However, what particular parts of nature specifically helps us? Studies like these aim to see which specific sensory cues lead to better outcomes.

Do you like the sound of birds chirping?

Full article is here!

#Birds #Chirping #Nature

8
User Profile: Optimisticempath
Optimisticempath October 29th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 yes hearing birds chirping is a blissful sound 🥰

Thanks for the post

User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP October 29th, 2022

@Optimisticempath

I miss the days where I would got up on a weekday morning to hear the birds chirping. Good times!

User Profile: Optimisticempath
Optimisticempath October 30th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 hope you can go soon <3

load more
load more
User Profile: lyricalAngel70
lyricalAngel70 October 29th, 2022

Thank you for the article. It was truly informative! ❤

Regarding the question, yes, I love bird chirping sounds. I make sure to at least walk once into the woods every day just to listen to the birds chirping 💜 It's relaxing!
@sunnyWriting4806

User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP November 3rd, 2022

@lyricalAngel70

So lucky to have woods you can walk in every day! For me I have would have to drive out quite a bit to get out into nature :( That sounds so relaxing!

User Profile: lyricalAngel70
lyricalAngel70 November 3rd, 2022

Thank you so much. Indeed, I'm lucky ❤

And I am sorry to hear that it's far away for you. I'm sure there must be many other things you could do to relax and unwind
@sunnyWriting4806

User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP November 5th, 2022

@lyricalAngel70

I make do by playing videos of nature sounds online like the ocean wavec, forests etc haha!

User Profile: lyricalAngel70
lyricalAngel70 November 5th, 2022

Oh wow! Is it like the ones we get online on YouTube? ♥️

Sounds interesting
@sunnyWriting4806

load more
load more
load more
load more