Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Skin Conditions Like Eczema and Psoriasis Take a Toll on Mental Health

User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 August 14th, 2022

_1660505953.image.png

"Thirty-two million Americans deal with some form of eczema, and 7.5 million have psoriasis. While these conditions come with obvious physical symptoms, the mental impact of dealing with a chronic skin condition can be just as severe.

Links to Depression and Anxiety


One study conducted across 13 European countries evaluated the burden of skin disease and found both psoriasis and hand eczema diagnoses had a significant association with depression and anxiety, and psoriasis was significantly associated with suicidal ideation.

As research shows, the relationship between skin conditions and negative emotions is cyclical, as distress can spark flare-ups in skin conditions, which can then fuel further distress.

Psychological Impact


Lauren, who deals with eczema breakouts, says that, because the physical pain of the condition alone can keep you from doing things you love, feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness can creep up, as well.

"It can make you feel jealous of people around you," Lauren says. "Having an ugly skin disorder is embarrassing to be out in public, especially around people you don’t know. You feel uncomfortable, like people are judging you or they’re worried you could spread a disease to them. You feel alone, no one can really understand your physical and mental pain you are going through."

Tools To Cope


Lauren notes, certain corners of the internet can be great sources of support. Online support groups and Facebook groups dedicated to certain conditions can be helpful when feelings of depression or anxiety creep up.

Using the internet as an educational tool can be helpful, as well. Learning as much as possible about your condition via credible sources, Lauren says, can lead to a feeling of greater control.

Depending on the severity of a condition, meeting with a specialist should also be on the list of self-care practices. Professionals can help determine potential triggers and provide further solutions and coping mechanisms.

"Recognize you’ll have good days and bad days," Lauren says. "Try not to be hard on yourself on the bad days, let yourself rest when you need to.""

Read the complete article available at Very Well Mind!

Reflection:

Do you struggle with a skin condition? How has it affected your mental health?

*I have psoriasis and suffer from bad flare-ups when I'm stressed. It almost completely goes away when I'm on vacation. It gets worse when finals season is approaching. When the flare-ups occur, my mental health is quite terrible; I feel a lot worse than before with the added pressure of having to hide the marks.*

#SkinDiseases #Psoriasis #Eczema #Depression #Anxiety #MentalHealth




8
User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 August 15th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

Hello!

I struggle with eczema actually. I never thought about it being a contributor to my mental health. So, this article was very informative. Thanks for sharing! 🌿🌺

User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP August 31st, 2022

@innateJoy9602 Hi! I hope you're able to manage well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

load more
User Profile: sooty41
sooty41 August 15th, 2022

This was interesting to read. May i also add that alopecia can have a massive impact on a person's mental wellbeing. Especially as a woman.

It took me a long time to accept it and then to accept being out in the world and the prejudices of others. It takes courage to look different, but we already have that courage inside ourselves. Because it takes a brave person to live alongside mental illness.

We are beautiful regardless, because the soul's beauty transcends any other. Hold your head up, be proud because you are unique. You are you...and that is very special.

User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP August 31st, 2022

@sooty41 Indeed! Thanks for sharing your experience. This is very well worded. Beauty is what we make of it, not what society tells us to. I hope everyone can accept themselves for who they are and not what society pushes.

load more
User Profile: calmDew1576
calmDew1576 August 30th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463 Thank you for bringing this up! Actually society lacks education around skin concerns. Sometimes there are stereotypes that make the time of those who suffer with these skin conditions very challenging. This would totally explain the link between skin concerns and mental health. We need to take action, inform and prevent people from being scared of nothing. Thank you for the post!

User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP August 31st, 2022

@calmDew1576 Well said! Skin conditions are nothing to be ashamed of. I feel like societal awareness would help de-stigmatize it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

load more
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo August 30th, 2022

I think people are fairly ignorant on how severe they can be.

I have severe eczema & contact dermititis plus I do have other conditions.

My vision gets affected. I have had times where I couldn't really do much at all when it was very flared up. My skin was raw and oozing, eating hurt, the air hurt, clothing hurt and the infection risk was high. It has triggered angioedema swells. During a very sudden flareup I ended up in the emergency room, while there I had a throat attack. I needed an IV of 3 different medications plus they were worried about the effects it was having on me so ran a bunch of bloodwork.

I go for in-clinic treatment. Some of the treatment options that exist are not safe due to other conditions that I have.

As for specialists helping with triggers, yes and no. It depends on what they are. My last flareup was due to a prescription medication, I do not know the ingredient. I contacted multiple specialists for help and didn't get any. I don't know if it was the actual medication or one of the inactive ingredients and apparently there aren't tests.

User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP August 31st, 2022

@AffyAvo I agree! People usually brush them aside and consider them not as severe. But that's totally wrong. I'm so sorry you had to go through all this. Managing these illnesses can be so tough. Thanks for sharing your experience and helping spread awareness!

load more