Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

The guardian: Letting go: the decluttering obsession moves into the mind

User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 April 10th, 2022

_1649550949.image.png

"All through 2020 and 2021’s lockdowns, a book published in 2012 kept being recommended to me. Letting Go by David Hawkins was pretty new age – but its seemingly simple message resonated: I could always let something painful go, not let it get to me, and move on with my life. It may sound like a small, obvious thing, but when we are trained to strive, we can sometimes forget we have that option.

“We hang on to pain. It certainly satisfies our unconscious need for the alleviation of guilt through punishment. We get to feel miserable and rotten,” Hawkins wrote. “The question then arises, ‘But for how long?’”

Hawkins’ book had a ripple effect on my life. I was suddenly a lot more relaxed about things not working out. Instead of being caught up in a spiral of trying to control an outcome, I let go and moved onto the next thing. Sometimes I had to cut my losses, sometimes I felt real grief, some things I tried to let go of proved stubbornly resistant. But I made a start.

In this technique was an echo of Stoic philosophy, including Epictetus’s maxim: “Don’t hope that events will turn out the way you want, welcome events in whichever way they happen. This is the path to peace.”

Melbourne researcher and psychotherapist Dr Richard Whitehead found people who are older tend to let go easier, as do people who have a strong meditation practice.

Letting go is counterintuitive in many ways. We are encouraged and taught from a young age to succeed, to push through, to have goals and let nothing get in the way. Half the battle is fighting your own deeply ingrained notions of how success works.

“I had an expectation of perfectionism and a belief that I had to light up every room. Letting go of this behaviour was about adopting a way of life that is much more sustainable,” he says.

“We’re not smart enough, funny enough, good looking enough, rich enough. We are desperately trying to make up for this – look at the amount of money people spend trying to look better. From a young age we need to tell people we are worthy enough, we can belong.”

There is a technique to letting go, says Ringrose, one that is bolstered through meditation. The other steps he teaches are “getting better at feeling feelings. Letting go is just feeling feelings – it’s allowing the feelings to be felt. It’s a lot easier than you think.”

“People think that letting go hurts too much but it doesn’t,” he says. “It’s the resistance to letting go … that’s the thing that hurts.”

“It’s about feeling really down and low and embracing the bad things as well. They will pass if you let them go.”"

Read the full article here!

Reflection:

How has 'letting go' of certain things that were out of your control helped you currently?

#Detachment #MovingOn #MentalHealth

5
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 April 17th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463 I currently am having some trouble with this exact thing. I want to clean out my room, especially my clothes, but I almost feel bad doing it because my parents gave me those clothes. It's so silly and I know they would want me to feel better and get rid of anything that I don't wear but I also feel it's a little bit of procrastination too. I need to do it but I never get the ambition to.

2 replies
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP April 22nd, 2022

@fruityPond7887 I understand the struggle. The clothes hold sentiment because they were given to you by your parents. I know how hard it is to part with things from loved ones when you can't use them anymore.

1 reply
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 April 25th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463 Exactly! I just try to remember that there are so many other things that my parents have given me that will last a lot longer and won't take up as much space!!

load more
load more
User Profile: EmbracingChaos
EmbracingChaos April 21st, 2022

@comfortableNight4463 the part of this that really spoke to me was the subconscious wanting to be punished for the guilt. It really made me think a lot, when is it enough? When can I stop punishing myself? The desire never goes away for good, I guess because it doesn’t actually make the guilt any less or solved. I have been thinking about this sort of thing a lot lately, and is part of the reason I joined this website actually. I realized that I have some masochistic qualities. Small things happen, and I get relief in punishing myself, yet I think it goes beyond the small thing. I see the small thing as connected to larger things in my past that I haven’t moved past and still feel a need to punish myself for. I can say this now because I’m feeling ok, but I’m not sure how to disconnect those thoughts when I get really worked up.

User Profile: Zaywilllisten25
Zaywilllisten25 December 6th, 2025

@comfortableNight4463