Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

VeryWellMind: These Are the US States Allowing Student Mental Health Days

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 May 7th, 2022

BGeSl-which-states-are-allowing-student-mental-health-days-1-71a5c41187994e8bb2e90588edeb7ff3.png

"Historically most schools haven’t recognized mental health as a legitimate reason to miss classes. But this position is slowly changing as more and more children are struggling with psychological issues that are impacting their ability to show up to school as their best selves in the same way as physical illness would.

One by one states are allowing students to take time for themselves on days when the weight of the world becomes a little too much to carry.

Below, we’ve outlined the current legislative stance on mental health days in all fifty states. This review excludes the discussion of private schools, which may have policies independent of state law. But for the most part, it should give you a sense of the progress we’ve made and how far we have to go in the fight to improve the mental health of America’s children.

Note: This information is current as of April 2022.

While states are increasingly allowing students to cite mental health as a valid excuse for missing school, we're still at a stage where fewer than half have legislation around mental health days.

There's still much work to be done, but compared to even just a couple of years ago there have been plenty of changes helping to advance the mission of destigmatizing mental health, and ultimately aid in supporting children and families who are struggling."

*While we are still in a very early point in combating America's mental health crisis, I think this is a great step! Children are struggling more than we realize and I think this a way to help them relieve that pressure during times of high stress in school. Programs like this are great ways to promote awareness and education and decrease the stigma surrounding mental health in children!*

What other ways could the government help promote mental health awareness for its people?

#MentalHealthDays #UnitedStates #Government

For a more detailed list of each state's regulations, click here!

Have an amazing and relaxed weekend everyone!

6
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 May 7th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

It's kind of funny because in my university we have "mental awareness" days which are days off and dedicated to resetting from school and self-caring for our mental health. But most of us just use it as an extra day of study and professors use it to hold review sessions and office hours. A bit ironic but I guess we love using our days off haha.

1 reply
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP May 9th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 We had these too! It was the exact same thing where we just continue to work and meet with professors, just without class. I don't think that's a mental health day 😂

load more
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo May 8th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

I struggle a bit with the physical parallel. People take sick days, not physical health days, so why mental health days?

I think rather than legislating this it just makes more sense to keep it private from an employer. If someone needs a sick day, take a sick day without labeling it beyond that. Which isn't to say I don't support caring for mental health but why is there need for a specific label?

1 reply
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP May 9th, 2022

@AffyAvo Yeah I totally understand your perspective! I think the point of the label is to just make mental and physical health "equal" in terms of how they are treated. I agree that an employer should mind their own business, but sometimes they ask unfortunately. Thanks for your thoughts!

1 reply
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo May 9th, 2022

@fruityPond7887 I guess too I don't see how it works in the US, and I think many people here just assume many things are the same. If I get a doctor's note for an absence doctors here are fairly adamant that it's no one's business as to why. It would just say something like Affy has been unwell and needs to be off until x date.

I think we could be better off with sick days in general with no note (pandemic improved this somewhat). For people who may need more 1 off days than average with chronic issues, have an ongoing note and save the notes for specific absences for short term/long term disability situations ie. typically more than a week. Maybe doctors need a bit of training regarding how some time off can help patients for both physical and mental although generally I have found most doctors particularly those at the university health clinic to be helpful with that.

1 reply
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP May 12th, 2022

@AffyAvo Yeah I definitely think there have been improvements with younger doctors and the stigma, but I believe that some older doctor still have that stigma surrounding mental health. I think it's just a lot of the older generations too. I feel as though they were taught to "just get over it" and things have changed a lot since then, so it's taking some time for society to change its overall thinking and judgment of mental health but I think we are going in the right direction!

load more
load more
load more