Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Verywellmind: Allergies Can Impact Your Mental Health

User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 June 29th, 2022

NpBRgfqxB9zjJm_6Hz9lzj-Nw3IhXGE9s1PQvsgihiNy1Sv8acQ0sysseaiBYvES3E-urGfAJJZB_R8oKdQEUQqjSwD6b2XkRbGu0oLcuwiMLWFf0_Ut3w-EHD5mnWwhryTZXHUDKjC80OZQjqA



“Research shows that suffering from allergies is associated with a higher risk of developing mental health conditions. So why isn't the mental health impact of allergies more often discussed?


The Hidden Impact of Allergies

There's no shortage of possibilities when it comes to allergies. People suffer allergic reactions to certain plants, materials, drugs, animal hair and dander, environmental factors, and more. Suffering an allergy attack can be traumatic, and staying on top of what could be potential allergens can get exhausting. The psychological toll of this is great, says Taish Malone, PhD, a licensed professional counselor with Mindpath Health.

"The physical body is in a symbiotic relationship with our mental states which include our thoughts and emotions," Malone says. "Many fail to realize that having allergies is a medical condition, which may be why most often underestimate the impact having allergies can have on the sufferer."

Allergies to food items are among the most commonly experienced—and potentially the most physically dangerous.

Research shows that anxiety, depression, and even bullying are commonly associated with managing a food allergy, especially at a young age—one in three children that have food allergies report being bullied as a result of that allergy. While allergies may not have a causal relationship with mental health, there is definitely correlation. Malone notes that the higher the severity of an allergy and its symptoms, the greater its impact.

"Suffering with disruptive symptoms that cause repetitive discomfort can lead to self-doubt in some, and even pose as a quality of life stressor and lead to stress response dysfunctions such as anxiety and depression," she says.

Allergies in Pandemic Times

On the topic of seasonal allergies, spring and summer can be tough times for allergy sufferers. But allergy season this year may be a bit tougher. Coughing, sniffling, and breathing issues are common symptoms of allergies, but they're also symptoms of COVID-19. Discerning between the two conditions, as Parikh points out, can be stress-inducing. And not only that—displaying any of these symptoms in public has often come to elicit a certain reaction from the people in your vicinity.

"The fear of a populated area could cause feelings of rejection and isolation to avoid the dagger stares or people moving away when someone with allergies begins to show some signs that are misunderstood," Malone says. She notes that while it's totally understandable for people to want to protect themselves from the virus, to someone experiencing allergies, this can feel like social exclusion.

Read the full article here!

Reflection: If you suffer from allergies, have you experienced that your mental health is affected by allergies during the allergy season? Has the COVID 19 pandemic made you more aware of your symptoms in a social context?


#Allergies #Symtoms #SocialExlusion #MentalHealth

11
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo June 29th, 2022

@professionalVision2624

I don't find there to be 1 allergy season, it's seasonal changes that alter the type of allergies I have. When school starts is actually one of the worst for emergency rooms seeing things like asthma.

It does affect my mental health. I have been itchy to the point where I couldn't cope with it. I don't know why my last anaphylactic reaction occurred and it scared me. Having to remove so many products and avoid things is also exhausting. With being ill showering is draining as it is and then to have to rinse so vigorously and still likely react somewhat is very exhausting.

There's much more to the isolation aspect. I can't go into places with a cat. I don't know how to navigate hotels anymore.

With Covid treatments make me more at risk and I am high risk from my health conditions already without also factoring treatments.

Navigating healthcare is also more challenging I have been prescribed things I was allergic to. It's difficult.

1 reply
User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 OP August 3rd, 2022

@AffyAvo

I'm so sorry you are having such issues with allergies and that school start is in of itself stressful and I can only imagine the level of stress it adds having to deal with allergies and asthma at the same time 😞. I agree that allergies can affect our mental health, due to the symtoms aswell due to the isolation aspect that you mention and navigating healthcare is certaintly a big struggle a times.

I hope you find a good treatment plan for your allergies in the near future! I'm rooting for you! <3

load more
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 June 30th, 2022

@professionalVision2624 Very insightful article! Thanks for sharing it. I suffer from allergies whenever the climate changes and it makes me really tired and groggy. I've never paid much attention to how it would affect my mental health but I think the impact would be negative.

1 reply
User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 OP August 3rd, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

Thank you so much for sharing! Allergies can be really annoying to deal with at times.

load more
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 July 2nd, 2022

@professionalVision2624

This is such an interesting aspect that people often forget about allergies. But definitely one that needs to be addressed!

2 replies
User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 OP August 2nd, 2022

@sunnyWriting480

I'm happy you liked the article! Thank you for sharing

1 reply
User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 OP August 3rd, 2022

@professionalVision2624

I'm happy you found my article topic intresting! I agree that it needs to be more widespread knowledge.

load more
load more
User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 July 2nd, 2022

@professionalVision2624

This is a great article! I think the connection between allergies and mental health should be talked about more. I do not have any allergies and I have never thought about people who have allergies being more vulnerable.

1 reply
User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 OP August 3rd, 2022

@globalBraid3744

Thank you for sharing!

load more
User Profile: eve0806
eve0806 June 17th, 2023

That is kinda interesting tho. I have not known that allergies can have that huge impact on a body in whole. Personally I have always that seasonal allergy which begins in the middle of spring and ends at the end of summer. So during that period I always buy Ryaltris Nasal Spray which thx God help me with that. But what I read in that article make me to overthink some aspects of my previous behavior. So thank u to share !