Want to boost your happiness? Buy experiences, not material possessions
“Material possessions can provide a quick boost to enjoyment and happiness. Playing with a new phone is fun, and getting a new watch might boost your confidence. But such enjoyment tends to be fleeting. Your brain quickly readjusts to the new normal, and in time those goods lose their ability to incite happiness.
Experiences, on the other hand, provide more substantial long-term benefits. Experiences increase happiness by facilitating connection with others. People are social creatures and experiences often require spending time with others. Even after the actual event ends, reflecting on shared experiences makes us feel closer to others. Meaningful interactions and relationships with other humans are crucial to happiness and well-being. Moreover, experiences enhance our sense of self. Although ephemeral in time, experiences live on in our memories and make up the sum of our lives. They create our autobiographies and bestow meaning on our existences.
Of course, this does not mean that people should lose focus on other important, non-experiential uses for the money. Money also increases well-being in other ways — by increasing your access to healthy life choices, ensuring you have a roof over your head, and buffering against emergencies. When making a decision about a purchase — whether it’s experiential or material — consider how it fits into your overall well-being.”
Read the whole article at Big Think
#Happiness #Possessions #Experiences
💬 Do you spend more money on possessions or experiences? What experiences would you buy if there were no limitations?
Did you like this topic? Then you might also enjoy reading the post “How the Experience of Awe Can Improve Your Well-Being”
@globalBraid3744
Omigosh this is straight outta my personal "mantras to live by in life" lol.
I'm a firm believer of having more experiences, than possessions. I forever wonder that during my last time, it'll not be the material possessions I have that'll (or that should) come to mind. There should always be experiences and loved ones and experiences with people that come to mind, before the last peaceful sleep.
The things that really matter in life, aren't really "things", it's people and experiences, that bring *life* to us. ❤
I have such a huge list of experiences hehe, those that I want to have. Mainly travel based. The northern lights, the cherry blossoms, certain adventure activities, "experiencing some foods", the Van Gogh 360, and so much more. 🥰

How about you, Braid?😃
@Sunisshiningandsoareyou
The same for me, Sun! I think that memories count more than material possessions. I totally agree that what matters most in life are people and experiences.
I love your list of experiences you would like to have 😍 I wish you will be able to achieve all of them!
Do you already know what foods you would like to try?
Thank you for attaching the Starry Night painting, it is actually my favorite! I would also love to see the 360 Van Gogh exhibition. Unfortunately, when I have been in the Netherlands, his museum was fully booked and his painting from The Rijksmuseum were borrowed to London so I only saw 3 of his sketches. Have you seen any of his paintings in the real life?
Most of the things I want to experience are also travel-related. Apart from what you already mentioned, I wish to see Bioluminescent Plankton that can be seen in numerous places.
