Water, Wildlife, and Greenery Are Great for Wellness

There are plenty of studies that highlight just how good green spaces, such as parks and forests, and blue spaces, such as oceans and lakes, are for our mental health but, a recent study has shown how putting the two together really can make us feel happier. And adding fauna to the equation makes us feel even better.
A research, from King’s College London, showed that walking along a canal or riverbank had a significant positive impact on anxiety and stress levels and led to improvements in well-being and mood.
The study involved nearly 300 people, 87 of which were living with a mental illness. The study also reviewed 8,000 assessments using Urban Mind, a smartphone app that examines the impact of different aspects of the environment.
Studies show that being in nature not only has positive effects on depression and anxiety and other mood disorders, but also improves sleep, reduces stress, and increases happiness. People who live near the coast consistently report higher life satisfaction and well-being levels than those who don’t.
Another benefit of living near to, or making the effort to engage with, nature regularly is that it also improves your physical health.
The benefits of green and blue spaces are so significant that psychiatrists, doctors, and other healthcare professionals are turning to what is known as green prescribing as a way of fixing our ills. This is a system whereby professionals can connect the people they are supporting with a range of non-clinical (and, more importantly, physically, and mentally healthy) sources in the local community. Green prescribing can include but is not limited to, fishing, gardening, going for walks in the park or nearby woods, hiking, visiting a beach, and more.
"What about us city folk?”
Don’t wait for a GP to prescribe it to you. Seek out your nearest canal or urban riverbank today. Your physical and mental health will thank you for it.
Things to remember
- Nature is really good for your mental health and well-being
- You can access green and blue spaces even in urban environments.
- A Green Prescription allows health care professionals to support your physical and mental health.
How do you feel about being in the nature? Do you see improvements in your mood?
#Nature #Psychology #Wellness
@calmDew1576
I do see improvements in my mood when I am in nature!
I feel I am more calm and relaxed!
Thanks for the article! 💛✨
@calmDew1576
What a great post! I love spending time in nature, especially during the summer. When I am outside, I am calmer because I use this time to clean my mind from all worries.
What about you?
@globalBraid3744 The nature is such a peaceful place for me as well! It just makes my spirit escape and helps me think more clearly. Deep inside I think, it makes me feel that whatever is to be, will be, in the same way rivers always flow and the natural low is always the same generally. Thank you for sharing your thoughts <3