When You Can't Change Your Reality, Change Your Expectations
"James Altucher says happiness is third grade math: All you have to do is divide your reality by your expectations.
In a fraction, when the denominator outgrows the numerator, the result falls below 1 and moves towards 0. Similarly, when your expectations grow far beyond your reality, your happiness goes to zero.
Let’s say you come home and find a big, unexpected gift on your doorstep. A handbag perhaps or a new gaming console. Your reality skyrockets. You had no expectations. Your happiness goes through the roof!
Now imagine you spill your coffee as you sit down to work. The numerator decreases. Reality threw a curveball. You didn’t expect stains on your desk today, so the denominator is still the same — and your happiness goes down.
We can’t control our reality, but we can change our expectations. That’s the only “trick” there is. Whenever your reality fails you, immediately adjust your expectations. This is the one lever you can truly pull, and with some practice, you can pull it within seconds each time.
As your coffee races towards your stack of notes, shift your expectations from “I’ll have a productive start to my day” to “I’ll have a nice, shiny desk when I’m done cleaning this up.” When your software won’t send the email, go from “I’ll be out of here in five minutes” to “I’ll feel relieved once I close my laptop for the day.” If your partner breaks up with you, go from “I’ll never have to worry about dating again” to “I’ll learn something from this situation.”
Like that last one, not all of these shifts are easy to make. Some will take years to fully embrace, but you can start all of them in a matter of seconds — and many you can finish just as quickly. Sure, a breakup is something to chew on, but spilling your coffee? Tech problems? You won’t even remember those next week, so there’s no point in spoiling your happiness over them today.
Making these micro-shifts won’t turn you into a doormat. You can still expect others to treat you well. You also needn’t lower your aspirations, just let go of the artificial timelines you’ve constructed for them. Patience, flexibility, and a balanced life — these are the rewards for adjusting your expectations whenever reality changes.
A perpetual state of low expectations sounds nice in theory. If they were always at zero, nearly everything would be a pleasant surprise, and even bad news would hurt a lot less. That’s an ideal we can strive towards, but it’s unlikely we’ll ever reach it. For now, let’s do what we can with what we’ve got.
Whenever your reality falls short of your expectations, immediately adjust. Direct your vision to a new five-minute future. How can you course-correct right now? How can you shift the formula based on your current situation? Practice, practice, practice.
Your expectations only add to your happiness insofar as they fall short of your reality. You can’t prevent the world from turning against you on occasion, but you can ensure your expectations never trail far behind.
Happiness really is like third-grade math: We can figure out most problems quickly, but if we want lifelong mastery, we must solve a few equations each day."
*Life is full of unexpected twists and turns and a lot of the time, we can't control what happens. What we can control is how we react to these things! When something goes wrong, you can very quickly change how you think about it. For example, if I was sent home from work due to me not needing to be there for the day, I would probably get frustrated because I wouldn't get paid that day. On the flip side, I could think of it as a day off to relax or time to hang out with my best friend! There are always alternatives that can change your situation and turn it around. There is little in life that is that serious or that can't be changed. Everything will be okay! What can you do to change your thinking when a situation may not be going the way you would like?*
#Reality #Expectations #Perspective
Please find the full article at Medium.
@fruityPond7887
Ooh I love this, thanks for sharing, Pond.❤
A shift in our mindset can be really helpful to our emotional wellbeing too, letting things sometimes just *be* is okay too, we don't always have to have a plan for everything, or be limited in the many "shoulds" and "musts", I feel. It is easier said than done though, so it's okay to take it one step at a time hehe, and breathe through the moments, as they come.❤
@fruityPond7887 You have a good point there actually. I have been considering that recently. If we plan everything and have very specific expectations, anything that may go wrong can ruin our day. Instead, waking up with a positive and optimistic mood and thinking that no matter what may happen, we'll manage to solve it is a great way to remain calm and happy. Trusting the process and being excited about what the future unfolds is the key! Thank you for the interesting post!
@fruityPond7887
I don't think i can make my expectaions any lower than nothing.
@fruityPond7887
I love this article! I always strive to live according to this statement. However, it is easier said than done! When things do not go as planned, I try to look at what I can gain from the situation (e.g. new experience, knowledge, opportunity to get better at tolerating negative emotions).
@fruityPond7887
Yes sometimes trying to change reality can be trying to move an unmovable object, it simply can't be done. The more we try the more we'll burden ourselves unnecessarily and lead to learned helplessness.