Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

#BellLetsTalk Day: I speak up about mental health because...

User Profile: Kate
Kate January 30th, 2019

Bell Let's Talk is a Canadian organization whose goal is to open up and normalize conversations about mental health in efforts to make mental illness a less stigmatizing thing to talk about.

Today is Bell Let's Talk Day!

Why do you speak up about mental health?

71
User Profile: TiraTea
TiraTea February 1st, 2019

I speak up about mental health because there are so many illinformed individuals that do not understand the effects of mental health.

Not only how it effects the indivudal, but how it effects the indivudals family and friends. As well as careers, schooling and personal interests and hobbies.

Where I come from, Australia, 1 in 5 individuals aged between 16 and 85 are affected by a mental illness. With every new person I meet when I leave the house, 1 in 5 will be battling a mental illness. And if that isn't enough of a slap in the face, suicide is the leading cause of death amongst people aged between 25-44.

I speak about mental health because others refuse to accept it.

User Profile: DazzlingandDizzy
DazzlingandDizzy February 1st, 2019

I speak up about mental illness because not only do I have issues that I struggle with but my best friend was in a constant battle with paranoid schizophrenia. He was often angry and the paranoia got worse and worse. We lost touch and I recently tried to get back in touch with him and was devastated to find out he was found dead under a bridge in another town surrounded by drug paraphernalia. He had been homeless by choice and ended up so lost in his mental illness and addiction amd I wish he had had the confidence to seek help or even admit to having a mental illness.

User Profile: CuriousCharlotte
CuriousCharlotte February 1st, 2019

I speak up about mental heath as those you have the fixed mindset of "there is no such thing as mental ilnesses" need to know that there are people out there struggling which they can relate to. Everyone can have a role in helping deal with mental ilnesses, they just need to find it xxheart

User Profile: lukebanner113
lukebanner113 February 1st, 2019

I speak up about mental heath, as people sit in silence as people do not understand what they are going through, people need to realise that they are not just crazy or freaks they are people who want help yet people deny this to them due to lack of knoledge.
I also speak up as a volunteer for papyrus wich is a youth suicide prevention charity.

User Profile: carefulcurrent9154
carefulcurrent9154 February 1st, 2019

I speak up about mentl health because alot of people dont understand us they are quick to judge and think that we are crazy , but instead they should listen and help , because we need help and it is very hard to just reach out for help because we are scared of what people will say or we feel like noone will understand us . but now is the time to rise up and become as one and unite!!!! F#CK DEPRESSION!!!!