What do you wish there was more awareness for?
There are so many things we go through in life, yet sometimes it can feel like we don't have much of a space for speaking about it or for it being acknowledged. However, we have special events on 7 Cups which encourages more awareness and discussion on various topics!
So what would you like more awareness for?
That YouTubers and Internet personalities aren't considered subhuman. We're all human in the end, why put one another down? Sure some people make mistakes but don't we all? We all need to band together to make a difference in the world, not fight over small things or hate on people whose opinions are different from ours.
That everyone has mental health.
Not even if they have mental health issues or disorders or what have you. It's so easy to forget that mental health is something we all have, whether we suffer from it or not. I know there are many people who aren't ready to face the reality that they're struggling with mental health, but I wish there was a way to get them to recognize their mindsets are what make coping so difficult. As I'm sure many of us have felt the same, it's painful to watch them suffer because they're afraid of committing to the idea of mental health.
That "being on a spectrum" or having a mental disorder does not define a person. We can live life just like everyone else...it just takes more effort for us.
That spirituality and spiritual crises are a part of mental health and chronic illness and should be considered as part of the bigger picture. Sometimes spirituality cannot be separated from mental health but are the same package. Healthcare has come to recognize they are integrated, but we still tend to shy away from spirituality as an integral part of life. This is why chaplains are a necessary part of disaster response teams.
That my parents were more open minded
Health Anxiety / Hypochondria
Food allergies. My whole family suffers from them. And not just main ones, my dad is allergic to things ranging from chocolate to mushrooms. It is nearly impossible for my family to eat out, and if we do it always seems one of us is served something we're sorry if to. I wish people would understand, we're not being picky, just trying not to die.
High-functioning depression/anxiety/eating disorders etc. For all my freshman year in high school, I convinced myself I wasn't depressed because I didn't cut myself and didn't want to commit suicide (suicidal thoughts crossed my mind, but never serious suicidal ideation). In my sophomore year, I convinced myself I didn't have an eating disorder because I wasn't underweight according to the BMI scale, even though I severely restricted my food, purged, and exercised compulsively.
We have this idea in our head about what mental illnesses are like, but those ideas are always the extremes. My high school talked a lot about suicide prevention, and I always thought that since I wasn't thinking about suicide I didn't need help, or if I tried to get help nobody would care because what I was going through wasn't "serious".
Everyone is a person no matter what they believe.
I have been called out for being unreligous and I'm not the only one who suffers through this. I have been told that "I'll go to hell if I'm not a Christian" or that "only unedgicated people don't go to church." I'm not a religious person and don't fallow any religion, but for me and other people to be put down for how we were raised is just an awful feeling. We are humans in the end, we all have emotions, and we were all raised differently.
Geeze so much. But what I was thinking about tonight was some awareness thing that explains mental illnesss so clearly, and includes everyone, and is so persuasive that it makes everyone who might be questioning if they have something to do the right thing about it. I didn't have that thing, and tbh I still don't know what to do, between fighting with myself and whatever else, idk what's happening. But if something was just clear and informative and helpful, maybe that could make something better