My boyfriend broke up with me but we both still love each other
So, my boyfriend broke up with me last Friday. We'd been together for a bit over a year (we met in August 2017) and live in different cities. Basically the reason was that I'd checked his location on the Snapchat map and he felt that I don't trust him. He works nights at the moment so I worry about him getting home safely after work, especially now that it's winter and dark (he has to drive about 60km). The evening before he'd said that he was very busy at work and didn't have much time to text so I let him be. I woke up in the middle of the night (about 2AM) and couldn't get to sleep again. At this point I checked the Snapchat map to see if he was home already and if could text him without bothering his work. I told him about checking his location and that I'd done it a couple times before. The reason behind this was that I could make myself stop that kind of behaviour before it turned into a serious problem. However, he got incredibly angry and didn't want to talk to me at all. We spent last Wednesday not talking and on Thursday he texted me that he's coming to my place the following night after work.
So, he came to my place on Friday at 3AM and seemed normal (although I knew he was still angry). We slept through the night and on Friday morning we talked. He said that he felt that what I did was an incredible violation of his privacy (even though I pointed out to him that he can hide his location on Snapchat if he chooses so and that all of his Snapchat contacts can see his location, not just me). I know I hurt him very much and I have no idea why I didn't just ask him if he was home yet. But after all this, he feels that he can't fully trust me and according to him, me deleting Snapchat isn't gonna help at all (and I actually did delete it). Our conversation wasn't very angry but both of us were really sad and I cried a lot. We were laying in each other's arms the whole time and also discussed what we like about each other and our realtionship. Both of us also said 'I love you' when he finally left. We love each other very much which makes it even more heart-breaking that he feels he can't forgive me. Also I feel it's very unfair that he refused to talk to me straight away (via video chat) and made this decision before we'd talked things through.
Another thing is that we'd already broken up once before (two months ago) but gotten back together 2 weeks later. The previous time was again due to his hastiness and anxiety. At that time he felt that our family values were too different (because he's very close with his family and I'm not that close with mine) but after thinking and talking about it he changed his mind 'cause he loved me too much to give up on us. This time, too, he'd thought about the break-up for about a week before just announcing it to me which came totally out of the blue for me.
On the other hand, I feel like I don't deserve to be treated this way (being dumped twice before discussing it with me). But then again, I know he's hurting as well and it just seems like such a waste to give up on this when we both love each other so much. I think I just need to give him some space at the moment and see where things are going. Even though it feels very difficult not to be in contact with someone I love (and I know he feels the same way).
@GandalfTheWhite94
Hi, I'm going through something pretty similar right now. My ex and I broke up at the start of the month because long distance was getting to be really hard on both of us. He worked nights too, and I worked days so we would really only be able to talk for a short hour in the middle of every day. I'm having a hard time with the breakup, and I know he is too. I think we both love each other still and so it's hard to not worry about him all the time and not have him to talk to every day. I understand what you're going through, not that I know how to help, but it helped me knowing there's other people getting through similar stuff.