Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Dad Can't stay at bowling alley Next Sunday

User Profile: Disneywoman
Disneywoman April 12th

So next Sunday I'm going to be really busy between a potluck lunch at the church and going to Bowling alley (a bowling Alley) in the afternoon with Participation House. Since Dad's is like very cheap (I should know after having to deal with his being cheap for about 10 years, 2016-2026), he doesn't like having to go in the same direction twice, if he can help it. So he wants to stay at Bowling alley the entire time if he has to drive me over there and back. That's where there are a lot of problems lie:

Problem 1

The point of me going to these events (this is the 2nd Participation House event, I been at beside the disabled summer camp) is to get away from Dad not counting him driving me to and from there. The point is for me to 1)being independent, and 2)get away from Dad. But if Dad's there I can't get away from him. 3. Most of all have fun.

I think the problem here lies that at home at least, I feel like I have to act childish to get the attention I want sometimes. Vs. If I'm away from home (Disabled Summer Camp, or my old day program) they actually treat me like an adult. Let's put it in another way (since depending on the people we're with we wear different masks)- with Dad there I don't know which figurative mask to wear, the child one, or the adult one?

Last time he almost sucked the fun out of the event before we even got there. Due to several reasons. He was asking me questions like "how big is the token card" for the arcade?" Like how was I suppose to know? I hadn't played arcade games since i was 10/11 or at least 16 back when there still were tokens.

And then he's started to tell me that "I should keep the backpack with me at all times". (In the past, I had gone to a bowling league for most of the year on Mondays and i always brought a backpack with me) and when I asked him "How many times did I take a backpack to bowling league on Mondays?" His responsible was to call me 'Snarky" and then he somehow talked to me about "not wanting to loose my ID" and he wouldn't listen to me telling him that was in my fanny pack. That fight, almost had him leave me at the side of the road with no way to get to Bowling alley

Problem 2:

A part of Mom and my plan was for me to buy supper there at Bowling alley. Now there's a problem Dad doesn't like any of us but especially Luna & I to buy "processed junk". I don't want to have an argument infront of PH volunteer(s) with him about buying supper there. Since he's always thinks he "knows so much better" then everyone else in the house.

Like back in Sept, when I went to PH's Bowling alley bowling and arcade afternoon, when i saw Dad behind me at one point, I was really afraid after the event was over, he would have a complete cow about me eating Popcorn at Bowling alley even though Mom knew I was going to do that as act of remembrance of a former bowling league member who had recently passed away.

There's the possibility of a loophole because of Mom being too full to make supper because of the Potluck lunch. But I don't want to use the words "We might have to make our own suppers" But that opens up another can of worms because the last two times I used the sentence "We MIGHT make our own suppers" Dad's brain somehow translated it into "Make our own suppers" until Mom stopped him.

The other problem here is Dad might try to "help" by suggesting what i buy. True, he only did it once before, but that was once too many. That time was at Taco Bell's, he didn't know that I already had a plan for Taco Bell, so tried to help by suggesting that I buy I think it was the variety pack and even I knew that was too much food for me. Since I mostly plan ahead to choose the item I want (the only exception is when I randomly brought Chinese food from the mall on a Wednesday in March of 2025, for Thursday's supper) since I don't want to be one of those people who take forever looking at a menu at a restaurant.

Problem 3:

I don't want Dad to start talking to the PH Volunteer who is there like he did last time. The point is for me to have fun, and he ruins that fun when he's Sir-Talk-a-Lot to everyone. it's fine to do it on a cruise ship, but don't do it, any other time especially not when I'm trying to do a fun activity.

A lot of the time it seems like Dad never stops talking like ever. He will talk in stores about something food-related-either prices of food, or if corn's in season tell people how to tell good or bad corn. Or he might be talking to a random stranger about something news-related. It might be a couple of seconds, but to me, it's like the clock is moving ....v...e...r...l...y s...l...o...w...l.y There's been one occasion, where he and I had a walk in the park, and he stopped to talk to someone in their backyard (boarding the park), and I really wanted to get home, so I went on ahead and he didn't return until between one or two hours after I got home.

On our first cruise, one day we're having breakfast, and Mom and I wonder where Dad had disappeared too, turns out after I tracked him down, he basically was talking about history with a group of men kind of like a professor setting but without any board. I can't remember if it was that trip, or the next trip and cruise, that I had to be by myself below on a tender and Mom and Dad were up above on the tender, and when we all got off and back on the ship, Mom said a woman above with them on the Tender said that Dad should be a tour guide because of his knowledge!

1
User Profile: Disneywoman
Disneywoman OP April 13th

Mom suggests I offer to give him money for gas.   But knowing Dad waay too well I don't think that would work at all  or get him to change his mind at all.