Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mom doesn't want me to make Taco Pie dish but I'm sick of making food SHE wants me to make=pizza

User Profile: Disneywoman
Disneywoman February 12th, 2024
My Mom and I just had a huge argument about what I should make this coming Friday for supper-I haven't made this dish (think Shepard's pie, but without mashed potatoes and with cheese and with Taco seasoning) in about 2-maybe 3 years. Whenever I suggest making this dish Mom suggests I make quesadillas instead. But unlike all my other dishes where I need help of some kind, I need no help with chili or this dish

I suggested having this dish for Friday's supper-and Mom suggested we "modify" the recipe so I could have it for myself and she doesn't seem to understand it even though I told her like 10 times, "I BEEN HAVING IT AS A FORM OF microwave CHILLI (but without the beef, the accent cans of tomatoes that the recipe calls for)" she keeps saying "I don't remember you having it!" of course she doesn't! I have it for lunches sometimes when she isn't here like when she's visiting my blasted sister in the Toto. Because having it as kind of microwave chili is the only way without me making it for the family like I WANT TO DO- is my only way to have it. and I'm complexly sick of having it like that and want to do it the RIGHT way and share it with my family.

It her excuse is like the same kind of B.S excuse she gave for several years of "being sick of Taco Salad" and at least last summer I got to make that occasionally..
Her excuse being that "there's either to much sauce or too much cheese" for the dish and yet because of me loving cheese too much-is that the SAME amount of cheese would be on a Quesadillas or on a *Bacon* Pizza I make with her help!

It seems just except for last week-2-3 weeks ago have been 2 dishes-one new to both Mom and I- a "Meatball and onion gravy" dish and the other one was new to me- Stuffed Peppers. But every other week most fall/winter/spring months- all I seem to be making is Pizza, pizza, pizza,- I'm sick of having pizza, every other week- even though we haven't had it in like 3-4 weeks by last Friday. If I get to make what SHE wants me to make most of the time- why can't I for once in awhile make a dish I want to make instead of making Pizzas every other week?!

The ONLY thing I would need help with -this particular dish would be Mom getting the *bacon* lid from out of the kitchen cupboard but the rest of it I can do on my blasted own-and that's rare for me to to do that.
Not to mention this dish doesn't need to be put into the oven unlike Pizza, or Quesadillas-and as long as we're not having a salad, and I have the chips already, the dish after I cook the meat and veggies and put the shredded cheese on and the lid on the pan-it takes 5mins for the cheese to melt. (I also just want to find a bacon excuse for tortilla chips we have which we barley use-we're only using them for either this dish, or the Taco Salad one and without me making either-they're going to waste) or maybe I'm sick of leftovers.

Update: She even suggested looking in Harry Potter cookbook for some meals I want to make-but the ONLY thing I want to make is either this dish or chilli so she can be able to rest on the couch for most of the supper-making process


6
User Profile: MidwesternCalmSeeker
MidwesternCalmSeeker February 17th, 2024

@Disneywoman  It sounds like maybe she is not a huge fan of the taco salad. I solved a similar problem at my house by creating a "taco / burrito bar" and "deconstructed" the ingredients. I prepared the ingredients that I needed and set them out so that each family member could either make a salad or a taco or a burrito - whatever suited them. That way, if they didn't like something in particular, they skipped it. It actually made the meal easier to prepare, and kind of fun, like eating at a buffet. I had a pan of sauteed onions, a pan of beans, and a pan of meat on the stove, then placed the remaining ingredients in bowls. I reheated the stovetop stuff at the last minute, and everyone was happy. 


Just a suggestion.... maybe this wouldn't work in your household, but it popped into my head as I read your post.

User Profile: Disneywoman
Disneywoman OP February 17th, 2024

@MidwesternCalmSeeker  Mom let me make a Taco Bake dish with her help last night.  (I would have still rather made *my* dish because at least my dish didn't need to be in the oven unlike the dish we *did* make) but it was better then nothing.  

User Profile: MidwesternCalmSeeker
MidwesternCalmSeeker February 20th, 2024

@Disneywoman  Compromise - it's not the fun way to go, but it's often the path we have to take to keep the peace! I hope you get to make this dish "your way" soon!

User Profile: Disneywoman
Disneywoman OP February 20th, 2024

@MidwesternCalmSeeker  Mom doesn't like something about the "sauce" of my dish for some reason.  But I think my dish would be less work then having to cook the ingredients into the a pan, then move all the the ingredients into a bake-dish to put in the oven.    

User Profile: MidwesternCalmSeeker
MidwesternCalmSeeker February 24th, 2024

@Disneywoman I guess you can look forward to a day when you are independent and can cook your food, your way. Maybe the two of you can do some research and try cooking a brand new, different dish that you both like equally. 

User Profile: Disneywoman
Disneywoman OP February 24th, 2024

@MidwesternCalmSeeker  um the meals I cook are for the family not for myself.  I don't want to cook for myself.  I already do that 2 times a week.  On Tuesdays (Mom going to see my sister) and normally on Thursdays (Mom has choir pratiice) but I'm going to be having supper somewhere else on Thursday due to a writer's group meeting.


I LIKE cooking meals for the family it just I'm tired of Mom always having me make pizza almost every 2nd week- unless we happened to have Pizza "out" on adventure   

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more