Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My boyfriend of 6 years and I broke up. He was my main support system. What do I do now?

User Profile: itsatomatoday
itsatomatoday May 21st

I have had very few friends growing up, none that I talked to consistently other than my boyfriend. We would talk and call everyday, but somewhere along the way after graduating university and starting our new careers the passion started fizzling out, little arguments and disagreements started to hurt more and cut deeper.

He was honestly all I had, everywhere I look reminds me of him... all the gifts and things were all from him. What do I do now? I honestly don't think we'll ever get back together.

How do I cope with this? I feel so alone and heartbroken.

4

@itsatomatoday

Losing that constant connection right as you're navigating the stress of starting a new career makes the silence and the loneliness feel incredibly heavy. It is completely natural to feel overwhelmed seeing his gifts and reminders everywhere, so for now, try putting those things away in a box just to give your eyes and mind a little breathing room. Please be patient with yourself during those times of day when you used to call each other, and try to fill those gaps with a small comfort, like a favorite show or a walk, while taking things one single day at a time. You are carrying a massive amount of grief right now, and it’s okay to just focus on surviving the day.

1 reply
User Profile: itsatomatoday
itsatomatoday OP May 24th

I got my parents to help me pack all the gifts away, there was so many... I don't think I could have done it all by myself. Thank you for your post.

load more

I went through something very similar a long time ago with my first girlfriend. We were together for five years, and after it ended, I was depressed for more than a year. She had been my whole world, and while my friends had moved on with their own lives, I found myself completely alone. It was one of the hardest periods I’ve ever experienced.

Eventually, I started working on myself. I went to therapy and began unpacking some deeper issues, including things from my childhood. I realized that I needed to rebuild my life, to find new friendships and become part of new communities. Slowly, I picked up new hobbies, met new people, and even found love again. Over time, things genuinely got better.

Looking back, that period shaped me in important ways, even though it was incredibly difficult to go through. If you ever feel like talking to someone, I’m here.

1 reply
User Profile: itsatomatoday
itsatomatoday OP May 24th

Thanks for replying I really appreciate it. How did you handle all the emotions that come from a long term relationship? The warmth, the hugs, holding their hands, simply missing them... how did you handle that? I'm not as much of an affectionate person but after meeting him, I didn't realize I miss it so much. You cant have that kind of interaction with just anyone.

load more