My story: recovering from 2 affairs, codependency, and hyper vigilance
Well, I thought I would share my story here to start :-)
In 2007 I married my wife after dating for a couple of years in college. As with any relationship, it was butterflies and amazing feelings for the first several years. We lived in a cute apartment in downtown Covington, KY. We would have fun nights on the town, stay up late binging Netflix (back when there was disc delivery), and were just enjoying each other.
We had our first child in 2012 who was an absolute blessing but, as expected, that made us scale back our freedom to be spontaneous.
In 2015 we had our next child who was born with a birth defect (duodenal atresia). It was traumatic but she was able to have it corrected at birth. And she too was a blessing, but I could see energy of my wife draining from our increased responsibilities and post-partum depression.
Then it happened. In 2016, my wife had an affair with a
contractor doing work on our house. The affair lasted about 5 months. I forgave
her, we reconciled, and we worked toward repairing our relationship. This
affair coincided with her getting a work-from-home marketing job, her dad
having an affair as well, and then telling me that all this awakened something
inside of her. She was also experiencing some delayed post-partum depression
from the birth of our second child. And layered on that, her father was
recently caught having a long-term affair with a co-worker (who he eventually
married). It felt like the situation was almost ripe for something like this to
happen, though I was admittedly blind-sided. I prided myself on watching the
kids as much as I could outside of work, trying to take as many chores off her
plate as possible, and being a supportive husband with everything she did.
Instead, I feel like I enabled her to have time to conduct this affair.
In the years after, we had wonderful times but after two more kids (for a total
of 4 kids now, the newest being just 1 1/2 years old today), the current stress
of finances and the economy, we just never had the opportunity to connect in
ways as individuals that would have fanned the flames. I love her
unconditionally and would always go out of my way to once again make sure she
had time away (weekend retreats) and nights out with friends (I don't do
anything like that) but again it felt like I was just enabling us to grow
farther apart through my perceived support.
We had some blowups that led to her getting in her car and
driving away (she tended to not want to have discussions around these big
issues which she said were cyclical and never resolved like the mental load,
learned helplessness, etc.). Despite me never calling her any bad names, she
would verbally abuse me calling me "stupid," "***,"
"*** idiot," and more. I took it because I thought that was
something she just needed to get off her chest (she has always been hot-headed).
But these insults were frequent ways she lashed out in arguments. Still, things
took a turn for the worst this summer of 2025.
This summer I was supporting her with picking back up marketing clients (which
she had moved away from) and working on writing a book. We needed the money,
and I wanted to support her ability to feel empowered and not fit into the role
of a "housewife." We hired some babysitters to come during the week
because she felt like she was drowning otherwise with the work. I work full
time (though remote) and am the primary breadwinner with everyone on my
insurance. But it was important for me to really enable her to see this through
again.
As if like clockwork, it happened again. I noticed she was going on long walks
at night alone (she told me it was to decompress). Instead of hanging out on
the couch with me and my oldest son to watch shows in the evening (I would
always rub and lotion her legs at this time, rub her back too) she would say
that she was too tired from the day and would simply go to sleep. With my PTSD
and hyper vigilance from the first affair I couldn't help but look at her text
messages on her laptop. And, sure enough, she had been *** with someone
new.
She had been posting these amazing political insight posts
on *** that showed a pic of her (looking beautiful) yet holding a glass of
wine and they had been going viral, giving her lots of attention. And though
she connected with lots of people in a good way around this, she also,
naturally got attention of men. One of these men she had been having
"wonderful conversations" with (the kind I had been constantly trying
to have with her every evening after work) and it was giving her that beginning
of the relationship, rose-colored glasses, dopamine high (the butterflies).
Despite this second affair, I loved her and immediately forgave her. I did tell
her that if she wanted to not be with me, I would support whatever would make
her content and happy. She decided that she wanted to stay with me and for a
few months our relationship went into a "Renaissance" of recovery. We
were amazingly more intimate (I had to buy a new box of condoms and even got
some erectile dysfunction meds to help me to keep up with her demand). She
would initiate physical contact with me (a rarity for her) and it felt like
everything was on the right path. But then, in the Fall here, as her work
picked back up, I noticed her subtly drawing away again.
It was the usual behavior I saw from her: wanting to go to bed early without
hanging out, being cold and indifferent to me whenever I tried to illicit
conversation or give her warmth. I gave her a writer’s retreat weekend in a
hotel (despite the two affairs) so she could work on her book uninterrupted
while I watched the kids. While she was away I did about 7 hours of top to
bottom household chores as well. And only just a few days ago, I made her a
note with a big list of all the reasons I love and appreciate her even though
these were things I told her every day. But nothing got through to her stone-cold
demeanor.
Just yesterday, I sat down with her in the evening and
though she said she didn't want to talk about any of this and gave me the
"what do you want me to say?" mantra as usual. And we had a similar
discussion to what we had earlier in the summer. She does love being a mom, but
she doesn't want to be married. This time there is no one else and she just
wants to live alone without me bothering her or expecting anything from her.
She told me that we should divorce. I told her to appreciate her being open to
tell me this and though it broke my heart to hear that I couldn’t make her
happy, I would be willing to revisit this in a month to make sure that she
still feels this way with some space. I told I'll support her and continue to
love her either way.
I recognize what may have appeared to be love bombing and the textbook
codependency that I created. I would love to save my marriage if I could, but I
am also now in a place where I want to be with someone who will appreciate all
the unconditional love I have to give, someone stable and who reaches out to me
instead of me constantly being the one to reach out. A secure and reciprocal
love that can enrich my life and serve as a model for my kids. I hope that I
can do this with my wife, but I know that either way that relationship goes I
can learn with counseling how to look for and find this with someone else.
I think the stress of the school routine starting back in August played a part of this. She also volunteers to be a coach for the kid's school academic team; she had previously also ran the chess club and was on SBDM. She tends to overextend herself. I'm aware that the more she gives to our kids, her work, and others, the less she has to give to our marriage. I did my best to be someone who filled her love tank but I think my PTSD from the affairs, hyper vigilance, and codependency actually depleted her tank; despite what I perceived as reaching and checking in daily, helping out overtime to help with the kids and chores, and constantly expressing my love and appreciation for her in multiple ways.
So here’s where I am today and what I am working on:
· Although I would love to save my marriage and keep my family whole, I know that I am only half of that decision. I would like to break my codependency and become a more stable an assured man, regardless of my wife’s choice.
· I am releasing hypervigilance and snooping. Her choices are hers — my power is in what I control.
· I am trying to rediscover my passions — fitness, music, and new horizons yet to be found — to fuel my strength and joy.
· I am trying to build fellowship and brotherhood with other men — forging strength, wisdom, and joy in community.
· I am trying to be steady and loving without letting her coldness shake me. My role is not to chase her warmth, but to embody warmth myself — consistent, trustworthy, and grounded — so she knows I am safe.
· And I am working to release the illusion that I can fix her. Healing is her choice, not my burden. My work is to grow into the man I am meant to be, whether she walks with me or not.
So that’s where I’m at!
In this life, I am resolved to no longer beg for warmth.
Instead, I will be the fire, ready to warm those ready to accept its gift 😊
@alxofthefort
I think so many people can resonate with your story. I was just talking to a co-worker the other day that the hard part of marriage was not the first years......... like i was warned about. Instead it was far down the road. I wish you could fix and keep your family intact but i do not feel we can reconnect if it faded. when we try too hard we cannot recreate the spark. the fun of getting to know each other. we try the same old things that worked in past.....It feels like a chore instead of something we want to do that includes everything from talking to intimacy.
I do not think people talk about how things really are ...when we start to disconnect........ we grow numb My spouse knows nothing about me anymore.......my likes or dislikes they only remember what I liked 10-15 years ago. They have not recognized I have grown as a person or get to know who I am now... We take each other for granted ... we assume we know what the other wants or needs based on past...we think we can finish each others sentences so why bother talking..... we are sometimes Bored to tears.
So I have chatted with others... nothing going too far but I can see how easy it would be. We want someone to talk to us.....like we are getting to know each other. Show interest listen to our old stories. compliment us with out it sounding forced , practiced or a recorded message. Jobs and interactions etc. remind us of this. Maybe single co-workers make the grass look greener on the other side.
How did she feel about her dad being a cheater.... because sooner or later if your kid find her deception they may either be mad or think it is acceptable and ruin their future relationships ...
@toughTiger6481
Thank you for sharing this with me! I can really hear the weight of what you’ve experienced, and it helps me (and I'm sure others on here) feel less alone to know others have gone through something similar. You’re right, people don’t often talk about how the disconnection sneaks up later in marriage, when life gets heavier with responsibilities and routines. I relate a lot to what you said about feeling like the spark fades and things can start to feel like a chore instead of something joyful.
I think what you said about being seen for who we are now really hits home. We’re always growing, but it’s easy for couples to stop noticing each other in the present. That’s something I want to work on for myself: to keep growing, rediscovering my passions, and making sure I stay connected to who I am. I can’t control whether my wife sees that or not, but I can control how I show up.
I believe my wife, despite all things we have gone through is an amazing person who gives and give and gives. I truly believe that is she takes action and time to work on herself (therapy, maybe medication, meditation, etc) that she will be able to find her happiness again. I would hope that would be with me but at the end of the day she is going to need to decide to heal herself. Until then, I'm here, I'm steady and grounded, and I'm kind and supportive.
My new mantra that I've found useful is short and sweet: "Don't chase warmth, embody it."
As for her dad’s cheating, that definitely left a mark. It added layers to how she views relationships, and you’re right; it’s something our kids may eventually see and form their own opinions about. That’s a big motivator for me to focus on becoming healthier and more stable, so I can model something different for them, regardless of the outcome.
I really appreciate you taking the time to reflect back with me :-)