Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Tension between spouse and family

User Profile: megan1353
megan1353 December 27th, 2021

So I’m in a difficult position at the moment. My husband and I have been together for the past 13 years, we started dating in high school and got married in 2018. That being said my family didn’t like him at first but has slowly accepted that he’s my husband. My husband however still gets upset and says my family disrespects him (IE, my family didn’t have dinner ready on Christmas Eve even though my husband had to work that night and we were on a time limit). I feel pulled by him to have less to do with my family, I can’t imagine my life

without them in it. 😞

1
User Profile: halcyonCloud2036
halcyonCloud2036 December 28th, 2021

@megan1353

Being in the middle of your husband and family is so hard. And I understand that you can't even imagine your life without them in it. I would feel the same way.

Don't give up on getting them on the same page...keep the lines of communication open. Also, if there is some time restraint or special situation in the future, don't be shy about giving a gentle reminder to your family and let them know how much he wants to be part of the festivities and your family so that maybe they will make sure to accommodate him too.

It is ok to speak up for yourself especially if it can avoid conflict in the long run ❤️