Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Why do good girls like bad guys?

User Profile: starrycity
starrycity June 24th, 2021

Ive started seeing someone new. There is instant chemistry and a connection. I haven’t felt like this in probably 2 years. What I love is that there’s already VERY healthy communication. And we are able to be complete goofballs with each other. There are two problems: long distance and his behaviors. I’m moving for college in about a month or two. He’s been in a long distance relationship before and it lasted a long time. He says he’s willing to try and will make an effort to visit me. I’m willing to try as well as long as the connection continues to grow. And I can see it growing. The main problem is that he has had a dark past. He struggles with mental health and has been in toxic relationships. I want to do my best to be good to him and not hurt him. I know my parents will disapprove of him because of appearances. Physically he’s my type, with piercings, a tattoo, unnatural colored hair, and an edgy style. But, he’s done some scary things in the past. He’s been in fights before and he’s willing to get in a fight over me. I like that protective aspect of him. I can tell he really cares. But am I doing something wrong.

2
User Profile: thisllpass
thisllpass June 24th, 2021

It's hard to know, having only this description, and having never met him. I don't know what the fights entailed. To you, does it sound like he makes rational decisions? Do you like how you feel when you're together, or does he make you nervous? Do you think he would listen if you told him not to fight on your behalf? Those are the things that really matter, not what your parents think. Just keep your eyes open and continue to ask yourself if you really feel safe. You can walk away if the answer ever becomes no; you don't need more reason than that.

1 reply
User Profile: thisllpass
thisllpass June 24th, 2021

One last thing — it can sometimes be hard to tell over long distance what someone is really like (this is why manipulative people sometimes prefer it). That doesn't mean he's a bad guy, but it's something to note. Granted, younger generations are much better at judging character online

load more