Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I have a person marked as "Right person, wrong time" : but I don't know what to feel

User Profile: lifeishardbutillbefine
lifeishardbutillbefine May 13th, 2022

I met a guy online. Now we have known each other for a year. We've never made anything official, but we have expressed mutual romantic and sexual desire for one another. But at one point we drifted apart and remained friends.


During this long time period, he dated several others, all of which did not go well (he got cheated on) and lasted maximum of a month. It got to the point where he got backlash from his friends because he would break up with someone and then find another partner within a few days.


About a few weeks ago, we contacted each other again. He asks me if we can have romantic relations again, which I accepted. He said that when we drifted apart he got with several others because he was impatient and kept hurting himself with them. Said that he always cared for me.


Then 2 days later asks if we can remain friends, because this wasn't realistic. We lived on separate continents, our love languages were apparently different, and he took issue in distance. I don't want to make him feel unloved. So I accepted this turn of events.


And recently. Recently we got "married" as a joke, but then actual feelings started resurfacing so we were back on romantic terms.


Then I felt distance. I asked him if we were friends or more. He says we're more of friends now because he's confused on his feelings between me and a real life girl he met.


Now that you know the backstory, I don't really know how to deal with this. There's a point at which you need to just stop, right? I want to say he's my soulmate, that I would want to fly to him and be together, and I'd do that, even as friends.


I just don't know what to do with my feelings at the end of this. What are your thoughts on this? Does he actually care for me?

3
User Profile: sl0wlybutsurely
sl0wlybutsurely May 13th, 2022

@lifeishardbutillbefine hi, i'm in a similar situation as well except without the real life girl. i know it's so much easier to say than actually do, but i think accepting it and letting go is the only way to get over it. i do believe he cares for you, but not enough to do anything about it/ the circumstance is just impossible. i think you know as well that him just caring is not enough, you probably expect more.


acceptance that it won't happen is very much necessary. you need to love yourself and realise that you are deserving of so much more than this person who is keeping you as a backup/ placeholder he can come back to whenever. maybe you also have some self-worth issues because you keep allowing him to come back and do this to you.

your feelings for him might cloud your judgement of the situation, but try to ask him directly what he wants from you and why he is keeping you there. if he is truthful, take what he says as word. if he is avoidant, realise that his actions speak for themselves. actions speak louder than words and what he is doing should be enough for you to start thinking for yourself.

as someone in a situation like this, i always think to myself, "i wish you never talked to me in the first place" or "i wish we never met", but sometimes i also think he was meant as a lesson to me. an experience of some sort to realise that i am so much more deserving of someone who will give it their all.

i am not sure if this will help because i am also someone who is still stuck in a situation like this and i am trying very hard to accept everything. but i hope this helps.

User Profile: brightLime1234
brightLime1234 May 13th, 2022

It can be hard maintaining a long distance relationship and you have invested time with this man. Sounds like you want a relationship and this one doesn’t seem to be fulfilling your needs. Would you consider opening yourself up to someone where you reside?

1 reply
User Profile: lifeishardbutillbefine
lifeishardbutillbefine OP May 13th, 2022

To be fair, we're both basically people who work better with real life relationships, which is why this is happening, but honestly, I'm not sure about this. Theoretically I could open myself up here, but I don't know if I'll end up developing feelings for anyone in the end

load more