Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

A couple questions about my psychological health and how to get back on my feet.

User Profile: energeticSquare80
energeticSquare80 April 15th, 2015

So I was just thinking. My mom has told me a lot about my childhood, most of which I don't remember. I was able to walk at around 8 - 9 months old, I skipped over crawling. I was mute and would talk until I was put into a situation and I started talking in full sentences. I used to hate doing anything creative when I was young, I hated playing video games and now its some of my favorite things to do now. I've always hated school even before going to school, my learning style is kind of weird where if I don't understand what is being taught or what I'm trying to do, I will put it down and not touch or think about it for several days, come back and then be able to do it as if I've always done it, I never particularly cared for people, even when I got into school, and even when I socialized I would get embarrassed and hide despite not doing anything wrong and then would rarely ever speak to those people again. I would never speak to boys my age due to bullying because I wasn't all sporty and didn't act like a typical boy for that time period. I was always naturally strong and even when I threw temper tantrums it was hard for my mom to even keep me held down. I was always questioning the logic about our world from a young age, I was always questioning authority and saw what I thought were flaws in the way parenting was done or rules of the house. I remember been 1 - 3 years old but it was just a flash before my eyes. I remember that before any of that I saw a bright warm light and standing in front of it. I always heard people making comments about how I looked like I was walking like I was on a mission. People find it odd how I seem to be able to relate to all of their life experiences and pull some similar experience from my own life. My biggest subject I hated was math and always struggled with it, I remember how in first grade I had issues with subtractions and took me the longest amount of time to understand it. I was always very sheltered up until I moved down to Florida and finished 5th grade. I was always in my younger cousins shadow, my grandparents (I call them the evil grandparents) always favored him because he was sporty and outdoorsy. My father (technically step father) side of the family never really liked because I wasn't blood related or something like that. I sometimes wish even to this day I could go back to that period and I don't know why because I don't care for it. I've always felt like I've had to do things on my own and only rely on myself, and yet I'm always relying on my parents for help and people's advice to make a decision. I never go all in on decisions only ever half way so I can pull out. I never understood why people were so crazy about sex. I always had this feeling of being different, like there is no one out there I can relate to. I can't stand being in one group because it's always the same stuff. I am for some reason very noticeable in public even though I dress in a way that's not. I've always thought about others and how I can help them and yet I always get called selfish and self-centered when all I want to do is help, especially by my mom which she often says I act selfish, when I really am trying not to. I want to socialize with people but at the same time I don't.
Based on all of these various things about my childhood, what would you say the psychological impact all of this had, what does it say about my mind, how would this psychologically affect me in the future, and what struggles could you see from all of that? One might be able to see several psychological issues in there, but I want to know what everyone in this group thinks as a whole since this is something I don't ever really put into words or really talk about.

4
User Profile: blitheSun94
blitheSun94 April 15th, 2015

Dear energeticSquare,

Thank you for sharing the most intimate parts of yourself. Sometimes that can be difficult. I would like to reassure you that 7 Cups is a safe environment that promotes wellness in the absence of judgment.

It sounds like you spend a great deal of your time in a sort of detachment. Forgive me if that is inaccurate. Blended families are always a difficult dynamic to navigate and that is something that can certainly impact your adult life and interpersonal relationships. Your struggles with school do not sound extraordinary as I can relate to many of them myself.l I was different, but I was okay with that. I struggled in algebra (still do), but excelled in the language arts. I find it interesting that you were able to re-approach new material with a new and easy eye as this is also something I can relate to. Being disinterested in sex might adhere to your difficulty getting close to and relating to others. Of course this all only speculation based on the text you shared. I would like to stress the importance of not self-diagnosing or relying too keenly on the opinions found here. We (Listeners) are here simply to help you navigate, provide support, and refer to additional resources. It is our hope you will come to your own conclusions with the support of a friendly and educated voice.

If you're concerned about your ability to cope within your relationships, school, or your family, I would recommend getting a professional opinion. 7 Cups is a God-send, but we do have our limitations.

Thank you for sharing! heart

User Profile: energeticSquare80
energeticSquare80 OP April 15th, 2015

My father is, as my mom says technically my step father. The reason is because my bio father left when I was born and she married my father I have now when I was 4 and she had my siblings. She says that technical part because she didn't marry my bio-father. I was diagnosed recently with autism. I've never really understood how I could just walk away from something come back and know how to do it. I also have issues approaching sexual topics due to my father constantly teasing me, and at one point he directly asked me if I was gay or not because I don't make sex jokes, don't react to them, etc. He couldn't figure out because I never show interest in sex stuff (I'm straight but I just am private about that stuff). I can also tell you that I never really seeked to socialize because I would always get bullied, but also because I could just turn to video games and later anime and connect with those characters. Last year my mom was on my case about getting a job when I had no experience and I couldn't do much about it. I tried to get a job with no luck. When I started college I got a job on campus, but it was only on sundays. Instead of being happy I had a job she said I didn't have a real job, that I didn't understand earning money, etc. So even when I did what she wanted she complained about it. Just about every aspect of my life was picked on by some person. My siblings sometimes complain about me and sometimes state they outright don't like me. If I could I would detach from the world and live in a world where I could be free of all this stress and issues. I made it out of high school but I feel like I never got prepared for actual life. I never understood society, understood how people handled school and a part time job, how people socialized the way they did. I couldn't walk up to someone and just say hey because I thought it was awkward. Everyone I ever talked to was because teachers forced me to talk to people. My mom said when I was 9 I stopped giving a real smile and started giving a fake smile for almost every picture and was rare when I actually gave a real smile. Even though I get professional help from a psychologist, I only see her like every 3 weeks and theres not a lot I can do. My mom even sometimes says since I was the first child I'm the screwed up child, the test child. When I had friends I never hung out because my father liked making random weekend plans or waiting till the last second to give me an answer if I could hang out so I ended up making excuse so I didn't have to ask, even in college this still haunts me. My siblings have not had to deal with any of this, in fact all the problems I have with my parents or what I've had to deal with, my siblings never dealt with. I couldn't have a relationship until I was 16. I honestly feel like my life has been so messed up that to fix it would take a couple years. My parents expect me to be able to go out right now, get a job in two weeks in the state of florida, and be able to completely support myself and go to college and everything. I know I am not at that stage or able to...I honest don't know what to do any more.

load more
User Profile: energeticSquare80
energeticSquare80 OP April 16th, 2015

It's a rather difficult situation to be in at 18 almost 19

User Profile: wwwace
wwwace April 16th, 2015

Hello Just one thing I would like to say. On decision making. Often it is not am I making the wright or wrong decision but making a decision and running with it To quote my mother Experiance is a great teacher but her fees are very high. But I feel if you can learn from what you go through it is not a waste Hope this may be some help. John