Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

When I first started my recovery journey I thought quitting was the hardest part.

User Profile: syntaxofscars
syntaxofscars July 24th, 2025

But the truth is what came after was even harder. Sitting with my feelings without numbing them, facing the reasons I used in the first place, and trying to figure out who I even was without that crutch.

Some days I still struggle. Recovery hasn’t been a straight line for me and I’ve had moments where I hated myself for not being “strong enough.” But over time I’ve learned that every single day I choose not to give up counts as progress even if it feels small.

If you’re in recovery or even just thinking about it you’re not alone.

What’s been the hardest part of recovery for you and what helps you keep going when it feels impossible?

2
User Profile: iPHOENIX
iPHOENIX July 24th, 2025

@syntaxofscars

This. Every word of it.

Quitting is just the first storm. What follows is the long, quiet war with yourself. Sitting with raw emotions, uncovering wounds you buried, learning who you are without the thing that used to numb it all… that’s the real work. That’s the real bravery.

For me, the hardest part was losing the version of myself I thought I needed to survive, and realizing I had to rebuild someone new from the inside out. What helps? Reminding myself that every hard day I get through is proof I’m still here, still choosing life, still healing.

You’re right, it’s not a straight line. But it’s yours, and every inch forward matters.

Thank you for sharing this. Keep choosing not to give up. That is strength.

User Profile: adaptableHouse9244
adaptableHouse9244 August 10th, 2025

@syntaxofscars

Hello, I had been sober for 25 years then started again for the last 9 years.  Tried so hard to fight the urge to walk 2 blocks to the liquor store but I lost the fight AGAIN for the millionth time.  Walking home with a boot mickey in my hand and crying.  Followed by chastising myself which in itself isn't at all good for mental and emotional health. Why is it so damn hard? Especially when you know the grace of benefits that will be received  I truly despise this struggle

So to answer your question, for me right now I guess I need to find something that works to take that edge off.  And it's a real mind f..k.  The gym might work but right now I'm on EI.....walks might help but there are liquor stores all around me.