Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My former coworkers and my housewarming party

User Profile: Summershy
Summershy October 14th, 2019

When I first bought my condo and moved in, I had a housewarming party 3 months later and I invited a lot of people At the very same time, I worked at a warehouse with supported employment, being that I have autism. While I worked there, my other co-workers would have special things come up in their lives. Such as weddings, housewarming parties. Just about everyone at work would celebrate these events and even get them gifts. The boss would especially get them gifts and go all out. However, most of them had known her for a long time.

When it came to my turn, the entire company, including the boss, snubbed my invitation and refused to come. None of them got me any cards or gifts and the boss was included. She couldn't have cared less about my feelings ever really said, "I'm sorry" the times when I called her out about it. Instead, she seemed to blindside me with emotional and psychological abuse. I am still very sad about what happened and doing the best that I can to cope along with finally talking to a good therapist.

6
User Profile: SarahGeorgeMA
SarahGeorgeMA October 24th, 2019

@Summershy That may have been a really disheartening experience for you. Good to hear you are trying to cope well. If you have any questions on therapy option on the site, feel free to ask- will be happy to clarify. Take good care of yourself!

5 replies
User Profile: Summershy
Summershy OP October 30th, 2019

@SarahGeorgeDCS

As I continue to work through the disappointment, two very important things came to my mind about why I they probably treated me like that.

1. The people who ran that company had small minds and large egos which stemmed from them know-it-all attitudes. For example, they believed that people with disabilities could not function in society and could only do "Very little." Then when they saw me, a person with a disability purchase a home, it bruised their egos

2. My former boss found out through that I had been writing about what happened outside of work on a forum for people with autism, she pulled me into the office and threw a tantrum and accused me of "Gossiping" about her and her family online instead of apologizing or giving me a reason. I realized three things about her behavior.

A. She handled herself in an unprofessional manner

B. She had some issues with immaturity

C. She was also yelling at me because she knew she was wrong and didn't want to admit it and was guilty about it.

4 replies
User Profile: SarahGeorgeMA
SarahGeorgeMA October 30th, 2019

@Summershy I can imagine the frustration of not being respected or understood by most people around you. Like you mentioned, it could be coming from their own biases or issues. However, as you work through how all of this is impacting you - try and shift focus to how you can insulate your self to such insensitivity and strengthen your self esteem. Because that's something is in your control and that's where you can make a difference.

3 replies
User Profile: Summershy
Summershy OP October 30th, 2019

@SarahGeorgeDCS

You're right, they did not respect me as a person, however, I have to remember that they did it to others as well. They thought I was the "Disrespectful one" which I was doing because I was tired of being mistreated there. I didn't always respond the way I should have but I do know that I did such because I felt provoked. However, I am going to share my new found input with my current counselor and see what she thinks

As for self-esteem piece, how do I work through the pain which they put me through and build on my self-esteem at the same time?

2 replies
User Profile: SarahGeorgeMA
SarahGeorgeMA October 30th, 2019

@Summershy It would be good you discuss the specific issues with the counsellor. You can benefit from some individual support. Wont be appropriate to get into specifics on the public forum. Take good care of yourself.

1 reply
User Profile: Summershy
Summershy OP October 30th, 2019

@SarahGeorgeDCS

Thank you so much

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more