AMA With Therapist Dr. Melissa Berg sorry the AMA is closed to new questions. Feel free to read the questions and answers below.
Dr Melissa Berg to hold an AMA on broader mental health questions.
Hi there. My name is soulsings, the Community Mentor Leader of the 7 Cups Online Therapy Community. I am thrilled to introduce an AMA [Ask Me Anything] form that can allow you to ask questions and get answers from Dr. Melissa Berg.
Sorry the AMA is closed to new questions. Feel free to read the questions and answers below.
Dr. Berg is a licensed therapist that provides online therapy services for 7 Cups. They can answer your questions about different mental health challenges in your life, but their primary area of expertise is relationships.
Dr Melissa Berg bio excerpt: Hello! My name is Melissa and I am a licensed psychologist, providing mental health services in New York State. My goal is to provide empathy, support, and non-judgement to all of those with whom I work. Through 7 Cups, I aim to assist you while providing support, guidance and therapeutic coaching. This is a great addition to traditional therapy or great for those who benefit from consistent listening support. I am looking forward to assisting you on this next chapter of your life!
Thanks for participating in this AMA. I look forward to your questions and the therapist's answers. Click here to learn more about Dr Berg: https://www.7cups.com//local/us/ny/buffalo/therapists/melissa-berg-psyd-66327950807
For questions about this thread message in PM https://www.7cups.com/@soulsings
Taglist Updated 6-16-25 @3timesLeo @4Jasmine @adrjust1 @Admirablerainbow2825 @adventureawaits777 @adventurousBranch3786 @Alaskanskies @AlexMbale @allen99 @allnaturalWillow7138 @alysianna @ambitiousGlobe3422 @ambitioushope1234 @ambitiousHickory9113 @amiablePeace77 @Ashy123 @Astralboy @augustine1304 @balderasdavid799 @BeamsOfHope00 @Beepyy @bence2 @bestThinker1986 @BipolarBear1983 @BlackyDragon @blissedNblessed @bluelemon6419 @bobw @bouncyFireworks3811 @blueAcai236 @BPDBadee @Brittanny17 @brightOcean1599 @candybubblegumsprinkles @calmcoral @calmWest327 @CaringSub @CatHanderOutNoah @Catunion @charmaeausty @charliebee1121 @ComfortablePeace2121 @courageouspanda2006 @courageousPomegranate766 @courteousKite6821 @creativeCar5713 @creatingHealthyOutcome @crimsonCoconut1711 @crimsonPapaya @crystalclearnow @cyanVase4070 @CyclingThroughLife @daydreammemories @deborahdebbie @Desmynn6789 @Determinedsquare9605 @DkIfINeedHelpOrSleep @dlynn88911221 @dysfunctionjunction1224 @Echoheart7236 @EllyMerelyn @EmbraceYourWings9340 @emotionalpal710 @emotionalPenguin4374 @empathicPresence9091 @EmpoweringSam @endure777 @energeticThinker6924 @enthusiasticAcai2032 @enthusiasticBeach8170 @enthusiasticTortoise6681 @exuberantStrawberries9544 @FaithMagic @fearlessCup8704 @F1shD0g @FlowerEV777 @FracturedPurple @Fradiga @fruityPond7887 @Genlistener @geribear @Gettingbettertoday @Ghasaq997 @GlitteryHearts @glowingPresence86 @energeticThinker6924@GoldenNest2727 @GothamRam @gregariousField7151 @GreyorFelix @gva1audi @happyness @hardworkingBeechwood6063 @HealingEcho @heartstopper13 @helloPineapple2451 @helpfulDime0407 @Henry2000 @Hereforyouall144 @hopefaith2011 @imaginativepear6493 @ingeniousLove9924 @intuitivepixie1331 @Itzcharlotteg @JanMad87 @Jordan1872 @k87 @Kenn13chan @kevin3108 @kindcircle3085 @kateeew @Kaydeee @kindRiver6 @kohandlen @Kristian1 @kristynsmama @Lauren63 @Leahm9703 @linda19152 @LillyPad12345 @LisaMeighanMBPsS @lostwithouther97 @lovelycoacoa @magneticDreamer6447 @mariah2009 @Marita7391 @meaningfulSilence @meeeeee @meowcat1216 @mia4819 @Mich765 @mindtalk @miraculousTouch2949 @miresama @modestTangerine2193 @MoonMomm @MoreThanJustMe @Mscooper2789 @myloveee3 @mytwistedsoul @navyAcres6073 @neonKiwi9963 @nessa104 @NotAllHere713 @oa4me @oakley958 @Oceansky93 @OneErased @onkia122 @orangypie @pamharley003 @paperBird3348 @patientwater @peacefulRainbow05 @peachyOctopus9691 @PhilosophicalModel @PiecesOfWhoeverIWas @pinkpolkadots @PinkTriangle133 @pioneeringHuman7775 @politeGrapefruit179 @pompom @PurpleHearts7 @purpletree4652 @Pvoigt @Qoqnus @QueerChaos259 @rachelkb123 @raddogme @Rainboho @Randumuser1 @redirecting @reguna reservedOwl6476@fighton @reservedPark4029 @resilience2025 @RMaunil @Rod88 @RogueOne1983 @RowanRawrs0512 @Salvatore123 @sandie @Scarletpear1945 @ShapeshiftSystem @SilverSeastar @SleepingFoxAkari @slothgurl17 @SnaryPoppins07 @softParadise1540 @soulsings @SparklyFly @sorrowedbunny1256 @SpongeBob2021 @Squidward @StarGaze10o01 @StarryCandy6123 @stephbrent @SugareeIsMe091121 @summerkay2024 @tallWalker4850 @TealPhotog @ThadSterling @theroadisbright @thesoda @thoughtsbubbleexpress @ThoughtfulMomma @tifecandy @tinywhisper11 @tiredbubble00 @tjitalia @toughLand5970 @treefrog1234 @trueconfidant123 @txrmentedSxul @UniversalSmile @UrsaMayor @warmheart0890 @WentToBruv @waves @WorriedMagpie @WorkingitThrough2 @yellowNectarine9265 @YellowTiger5674 @yzzil @zeffa @Zeraphim @Zsazsa524
@soulsings
I look forward to reading the questions and the responses from Dr. Melissa Berg! Thank you to everyone for your time.
thankyou
💓
@Saly9italy, I am replying to your question:
The people around me are unsupportive and even frustrating. Are there any exercises or apps that can help me?
I’m really sorry you’re feeling this way. It sounds like you’re emotionally exhausted and disconnected, and that’s a heavy place to be, especially without support around you. You’re not broken, even if it feels like everything inside has shut down. Here are a few small things that can help when you feel emotionally flat or numb:
· Name what you feel without judgment. Even just saying “I feel disconnected” is a form of connection to yourself. It matters.
· Body-based grounding can help bring you back into the present. Try holding something cold, stretching slowly, or feeling your feet on the floor. Very simple, but powerful for a nervous system that’s overwhelmed or shut down.
· There are many apps available that offer gentle, nonjudgmental support through guided meditation, mood tracking, or small self-care tasks that feel doable.
· Try one tiny act of aliveness. Play a song you used to like. Step outside for 1 minute. Text someone “hey.” You don’t need to feel it fully for it to count. Just doing it is enough.
And please know this: if the feeling deepens, you deserve to talk to a professional. You don’t have to hit a breaking point before asking for help. You matter, even if the people around you aren’t showing it right now.
Thank you Dr. Melissa Berg for your answers to people's questions.
Have a question you want to ask the therapist?
Ths Week Only questions are accepted.
Taglist Updated 6-123-25 @3timesLeo @4Jasmine @adrjust1 @Admirablerainbow2825 @adventureawaits777 @adventurousBranch3786 @Alaskanskies @AlexMbale @allen99 @allnaturalWillow7138 @alysianna @ambitiousGlobe3422 @ambitioushope1234 @ambitiousHickory9113 @amiablePeace77 @Ashy123 @Astralboy @augustine1304 @balderasdavid799 @BeamsOfHope00 @Beepyy @bence2 @bestThinker1986 @BipolarBear1983 @BlackyDragon @blissedNblessed @bluelemon6419 @bobw @bouncyFireworks3811 @blueAcai236 @BPDBadee @Brittanny17 @brightOcean1599 @candybubblegumsprinkles @calmcoral @calmWest327 @CaringSub @CatHanderOutNoah @Catunion @charmaeausty @charliebee1121 @ComfortablePeace2121 @courageouspanda2006 @courageousPomegranate766 @courteousKite6821 @creativeCar5713 @creatingHealthyOutcome @crimsonCoconut1711 @crimsonPapaya @crystalclearnow @cyanVase4070 @CyclingThroughLife @daydreammemories @deborahdebbie@Desmynn6789 @Determinedsquare9605 @DkIfINeedHelpOrSleep @dlynn88911221 @dysfunctionjunction1224 @Echoheart7236 @EllyMerelyn @EmbraceYourWings9340 @emotionalpal710 @emotionalPenguin4374 @empathicPresence9091 @EmpoweringSam @endure777 @energeticThinker6924 @enthusiasticAcai2032 @enthusiasticBeach8170 @enthusiasticTortoise6681 @exuberantStrawberries9544 @FaithMagic @fearlessCup8704 @F1shD0g @FlowerEV777 @FracturedPurple @Fradiga @fruityPond7887 @Genlistener @geribear @Gettingbettertoday @Ghasaq997 @GlitteryHearts @glowingPresence86 @energeticThinker6924@GoldenNest2727 @GothamRam @gregariousField7151 @GreyorFelix @gva1audi @happyness @hardworkingBeechwood6063 @HealingEcho @heartstopper13 @helloPineapple2451 @helpfulDime0407 @Henry2000 @Hereforyouall144 @hopefaith2011 @imaginativepear6493 @ingeniousLove9924 @intuitivepixie1331 @Itzcharlotteg @JanMad87 @Jordan1872 @k87 @Kenn13chan @kevin3108 @kindcircle3085 @kateeew @Kaydeee @kindRiver6 @kohandlen @Kristian1 @kristynsmama @Lauren63 @Leahm9703 @linda19152 @LillyPad12345 @LisaMeighanMBPsS @lostwithouther97 @lovelycoacoa @magneticDreamer6447 @mariah2009 @Marita7391 @meaningfulSilence @meeeeee @meowcat1216 @mia4819 @Mich765 @mindtalk @miraculousTouch2949 @miresama @modestTangerine2193 @MoonMomm @MoreThanJustMe @Mscooper2789 @myloveee3 @mytwistedsoul @navyAcres6073 @neonKiwi9963 @nessa104 @NotAllHere713 @oa4me @oakley958 @Oceansky93 @OneErased @onkia122 @orangypie @pamharley003 @paperBird3348 @patientwater @peacefulRainbow05 @peachyOctopus9691 @PhilosophicalModel @PiecesOfWhoeverIWas @pinkpolkadots @PinkTriangle133 @pioneeringHuman7775 @politeGrapefruit179 @pompom @PurpleHearts7 @purpletree4652 @Pvoigt @Qoqnus @QueerChaos259 @rachelkb123 @raddogme @Rainboho @Randumuser1 @redirecting @reguna reservedOwl6476@fighton @reservedPark4029 @resilience2025 @RMaunil @Rod88 @RogueOne1983 @RowanRawrs0512 @Salvatore123 @sandie @Scarletpear1945 @ShapeshiftSystem @SilverSeastar @SleepingFoxAkari @slothgurl17 @SnaryPoppins07 @softParadise1540 @soulsings @SparklyFly @sorrowedbunny1256 @SpongeBob2021 @Squidward @StarGaze10o01 @StarryCandy6123 @stephbrent @SugareeIsMe091121 @summerkay2024 @tallWalker4850 @TealPhotog @ThadSterling @theroadisbright @thesoda @thoughtsbubbleexpress @ThoughtfulMomma @tifecandy @tinywhisper11 @tiredbubble00 @tjitalia @toughLand5970 @treefrog1234 @trueconfidant123 @txrmentedSxul @UniversalSmile @UrsaMayor @warmheart0890 @WentToBruv @waves @WorriedMagpie @WorkingitThrough2 @yellowNectarine9265 @YellowTiger5674 @yzzil @zeffa @Zeraphim @Zsazsa524
@pamharley003, I am replying to the following question:
How can I stop myself from feeling like I walk on egg shells with my boyfriend who loves me and stop the past experiences of verbal abuse from my husband?
That “walking on eggshells” feeling is incredibly common after past abuse, even if your current partner is loving and safe. Your nervous system hasn’t caught up yet. It learned to stay hyper-alert to avoid getting hurt, and it takes time to unlearn that.
Remind yourself: this is a new relationship, but your body might still be reacting to the old one. That fear doesn’t mean your boyfriend is doing something wrong, it means your system is still trying to protect you.
Name the feeling gently. You can even say to your partner, “Sometimes I get anxious or quiet not because of you, but because of what I’ve been through. I’m working on it.” A loving partner will want to understand, not blame.
Try somatic grounding. When you feel tense or on edge, pause and do something physical: slow breathing, touching something soft, or feeling your feet on the floor. These help remind your body you’re safe now. Therapy helps a lot, especially with trauma recovery (like EMDR, IFS, or trauma-informed CBT). You don’t have to carry your past into your present. You’re not overreacting. You’re recovering. And it’s okay to need gentleness, even in love.
@mytwistedsoul, I am replying to the following question:
I struggle with asking and accepting support. It's not that I'm afraid of being vulnerable. My brain just says no one cares. How do I convince myself otherwise? I apologize if this isn't the right question for the AMA
You don’t need to apologize, this is a powerful and honest question, and one that so many people carry silently. Sometimes it’s not about being afraid to be vulnerable, it’s that a part of you has learned that asking for support leads to disappointment or silence. So your brain steps in and says, “Why bother? No one cares.” That belief isn’t weakness, it’s protection. One way to start shifting it is by gently noticing the part of you that believes no one cares. Ask yourself: when did I first learn that? And is it true in every situation, or just the ones that hurt the most?
You don’t need to “convince” yourself overnight. Try starting with tiny, low-risk asks: texting a friend something small, or letting someone know you’re having a rough day. Then, just notice what happens and don’t force yourself to believe it’s safe. Let the experience build slowly. Also, if support hasn’t always shown up in the past, it makes sense that your brain would brace for that again. But healing often starts by giving yourself permission to want support, even if you’re not sure it’s safe yet. You’re not alone in this. And your question matters.
@DrMelissaBergquist Thank you so much for your reply! I'll try to start small.