How well do rewards and incentives help you achieve your goals? What incentives/rewards do you use to reward yourself currently?
Hi everyone! Im back from my current self-care break and will be posting again. Today’s post is about incentives and rewards. When we accomplish goals, we can reward ourselves. This can help motivate us to work toward other goals.
- How well do rewards and incentives help you achieve your goals?
- What incentives/rewards do you use to reward yourself currently?
For me, one of my goals is to spend less time working myself so hard and more time on self-care. This week I did just that, and I rewarded myself by purchasing a shirt that I have always wanted.
What about you guys? I’d love to hear everyone’s responses ❤️
Desmynn
@Desmynn6789
- How well do rewards and incentives help you achieve your goals?
rewards n incentives definitely have a motivating effect. When i give my self an incentive , it gets easier for me to stick in times when i feel demotivated again to continue
- What incentives/rewards do you use to reward yourself currently?
currently am working on some health targets for which i have to do some dietary controls and physical activities.. I have promised myself a 2 vacation in hills when i get my lab test reports right 😊
@blissart those sound like nice incentives!
Hi @blissart, I agree that it can be easier to stick to your goals using incentives and rewards. I also think that the rewards you have listed are great. Going on a vacation in the hills sounds relaxing, and it is a great way to reward yourself. I wish you the most success in your lab test reports, and I am glad you participated in this discussion 😊❤️.
@Desmynn6789
Welcome back Desmynn! Nice to see you in the forum again.
How well do rewards and incentives help you achieve your goals?
Whilst some rewards or incentives can be really nice to strive for I'm focusing mostly on my goals because it is something I do want to achieve. I'm though a strong believer of self rewards.
What incentives/rewards do you use to reward yourself currently?
Something I like currently is taking myself out for safe (virus-safe) casual shopping, meaning not having a long list but just taking my time to stroll around in town.
Hello @amiablePeace77, I think it is great that you believe in self-rewards. I like self-rewards as well because the good feeling that you get from accomplishing a goal is priceless. Additionally, casual shopping is great because you can take your time and look at what’s in the store. I do this all the time, so I can definitely relate to you. Thank you for the post ❤️
Desmynn
@Desmynn6789
You're so right about taking your time in the shop and see what is there, that's how I found the best deals on my casual shopping days! 😊
@Desmynn6789 glad to see you back.
- How well do rewards and incentives help you achieve your goals? Sometimes they help or sometimes I just need to see the benefits of achieving the goal.
- What incentives/rewards do you use to reward yourself currently? Sometimes I use playing a computer game as an incentive but many times taking a nap is a great reward.
@soulsings, I agree that sometimes you need to see the benefits of achieving a goal. These benefits can include self-reward or reward and incentives. Additionally, the incentives that you use currently sound great. I also love computer games and taking a nap. Taking a nap helps me relax my mind, while computer games are something fun that I love to engage in. Thank you for your post 😊.
Desmynn
Beware of what psychology calls "reward prediction error".
Listening to Dr. Andrew Huberman, a neuroscientist and ophthalmologist who teaches at Stanford University, he explains that those who are high achievers learn to reward themselves (emotioanlly) for the doing of a thing rather than the accomplishment itself when completed.
For years I was able to do this. Now I'm mentally broken and I am not nearly so able to do so.
And that is why I'm here.. I used that mental mapping to motivate me to achieve things I would not otherwise have been able, for years. And just as I reached a place where I could begin to reap a reward for years of doing so, it was all stolen from me.
I am bitter and insanely angry all day, every day. Human beings are the most dangerous animal on the planet.
Hi @usedItUp, I appreciate your perspective on rewards/incentives. I am also sorry that this happened to you. I can only imagine how upsetting it must be to achieve something using rewards/incentives and then have taken it away from you. I understand why you feel this way about rewards/incentives, and I would feel the same way if I were in your shoes. Thank you for your participation ❤️.
Desmynn
Well I suppose that my tale of woe was not what you were discussing here.
Life is long.. mistakes can cost you your very self, the life within you. I'm trying to recover my ability to motivate myself to achieve what I need to in order to rebuild my life. Problem is, part of me is dead, gone, used up.
If I could drive myself, shove myself, kick myself as I once did.. but then my therapist tells me that it was exactly that which brought me to the condition I am in today.
Life would be wonderful if you had a "guardian angel" to protect you from other humans while you got on with the business of living. I truly despise being a human being. We are a filthy, depraved species.
@usedItUp I grew up knowing a very challenging situation. My inner child went into hiding. It has taken lots of compassion and gentle coaxing to allow it to trust someone again, me. I have to be careful not to create the same toxic environment I experienced earlier in life.
I do yoga and some of the anger dissipates. I sing or move and I feel some release.