Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Any1 leave, leaving, or want to leave a narcissist after years? Not easy even when mind been made up for 3yrs

User Profile: HopefulFuture87
HopefulFuture87 July 24th, 2021

This is long! Fair warning In the beginning, I had my own "things", such as a vehicle in my name, my own place, support from family, more friends, and more hope. I struggled with depression, anxiety and cptsd at the same time but always had some hope and when I was at my lowest points before him, I could get or ask for help without guilt trips for the most part. Today, about 7 years later, the place I live is in his name. 4 vehicles in the driveway, all in his name, yes 2 broken down that are being worked on but 2 running and not one in my name. I have two kids from previous relationship, and now a beautiful daughter(toddler) with him. She's the one good thing from this relationship. Started with getting full blown addicted the first 6 months of being together. He introduced me to a lot more than I had gotten myself into on my own and I just went along, let it happen. I was emotionally and mentally unwell and the drugs took the hurt away at first. It was also something we did "together". Looking back, I did not want to be "alone" anymore so I see why I kept trying to make what I thought was a relationship out of a very messy situation. There were so many red flags, yet due to my mental state back then, I truly convinced myself that all of those red flags were just his way of caring. Now I see very clearly how my thought process was not right. I think to myself "how could I have not seen how bad things were going to get? Or why did it not click in my headwhen he said certain things to run the other way? Was I that desperate for attention and to not be alone?" But now I trynot to think too hard about why and how. That doesn't help. Today, I am over a week into the process of "escaping". The physical violence has been far and few between but the emotional, financial, and I'm not even sure what else to call the types of abuse, they still go on to this day. He's a narcissist. I wanted to believe otherwise but I knew 3 years ago, tried to leave but had nothing, no one, no support, no money, no plan, just me and a shelter home and it was not long until I was back under his control. Today I thankfully have some funds saved up, a way to have income even without a full time job lined up, a little extra support, the knowledge of what to expect, especially expecting the part where my brain plays tricks on me like making me only see the good in our relationship instead of all of the bad. I have a list of my reasons that I will look at daily. Yet this is still hard, this is still scary, I don'twant to fail. My biggest hope is that my daughter will learn what is and what is not acceptable from other people, behavior wise boundaries etc. She may only be a toddler but they are so smart. They watch and listen to everything so I'm keeping strong bc i never want to see her think the things her father says and does to me is okay for anyone to do or say to her. No longer addicted, I go to addiction treatment, been going for over 3 years now. I can truly afford a few months on my own with what's saved up and a reliable vehicle if I play my cards right. Even so, I'm anxious. I'm having depression symptoms that I'm expecting to have and haven't even walked out the door. This past week, I've made sure to gather important papers, take a load of belongings to where we are going and make to do lists, along with a medication change going on and if you are reading this and take medication, you know that's not fun all by itself but i needed it done now. It's delayed my progress with hiding the fact I'm moving things out and packing those things. He thinks it's a yard sale planned for next weekend, and I'm able to move moving boxes packed with belongings out, luckily he doesn't dig, well as long as i don't give any suspicions. I'm moving these to a friend's nearby so once I'm out, I can easily collect these things without him interfering. The only problem is I have so much, between the kids and myself that I'm trying to prioritize what i need to grab the most after my important papers. I'm more calm with the medication kicking in but this is still a very scatter brained situation. 10xs a day I end up telling myself "if you can't get anything but important papers, irreplaceable and sentimental items then it's fine. Then i tell myself i also need to grab things that are going to cost me financially more to replace. The battle inside has stopped me from getting more done. So the other day i started on my closet and finding all important and sentimental, irreplaceable items first. I want to be gone by next weekend. I know the closer the day comes, the harder this will be even though I know it's best. It's fight flight freeze. For 7 years I have been frozen and about to flight out this relationship and its not easy. I know this is long but I needed to get this out, and hoping someone understands where I'm coming from, maybe someone even finds strength or relates. I do have hope again, but I'm struggling with motivation and need that extra motivation so bad right now. I know no one can do this for me but I tend to forget that I do not have to do this alone so I'm reaching out, communication with others in similar situations or thats left similar situations?

5
User Profile: 0ceandream
0ceandream July 25th, 2021

After 7 years I left with a 1 yr old. Was hard - it's still hard but nothing as bad as living with my abusive narcissist ex day in and day out. You can do it. You and your child are the most important. You will know when it's time.

User Profile: shyomega123
shyomega123 August 8th, 2021

I wish I could do what your doing I wish I was even the littlest brave like you and had the courage you do, but sadly im not in the same situation, I dont have a kid because i am the kid and I dont have an abusive ex I have a very abusive family instead and theres no way out for me I dont wanna be alone and Im scared to leave my family cuz I guess I still depend on them in a way and I dont have any friends and I dont know any place I can go and i tried to run away once and I just ended up going back to them because I felt this pull towards them like a chain from me to them and I just couldnt break that chain it wouldnt break and it sucked and im scared to run away but whenever im at work already away from my family I feel like I could actually run away it feels easier but I have to go back for my stuff only the important things from my grandparents because their dead now but i wanna keep and treasure what they've given me while they were alive and also I dont have a car nor a permit or liscence yet, and I dont know what to do anymore

User Profile: heragranger19
heragranger19 August 11th, 2021

@shyomega123 I am so sorrry for you..I can't imagine how hard it is if your family keeps abusing you. There is not really an escape if you are kid. Pls stay strong and take care of yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eujm1NARGg8 watch this video to learn what to do as a narcissistic abuse survivor.

load more
User Profile: heragranger19
heragranger19 August 11th, 2021

@HopefulFuture87 You need to leave. A narcissist will not only abuse you but also destroy you completely.. I was watching non stop videos about narcissistic abuse and saw many comments how people left their abuser after 20 years of marriage. As a narccissstic abuse survivor, you need to take care of yourself. The abuse is more complex than we think. You can watch this psychologist to know about what you should do.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eujm1NARGg8
You should take preparation silently for leaving him. He will probably not let you go easily. Stay strong! Don't come back even if he apologizes. Narcissist never changes! Take care of yourself

User Profile: Waterlily1208
Waterlily1208 August 18th, 2021

I my self use to have my own things ,friends and was close to my relatives before I got serious with my ex but then things changed I wasn't allowed to talk to my family , friends let alone go to my college placement and when we moved 12 hours away from everyone I ever loved or knew . Things got worse everytime he promised he would change and things would get better . He only became more violent and more controlling to the point I couldn't be a second late from coming home from work . It was embarrassing going to work each day covering up the bruises or hide the big bumps on my head from when he got violent but it wasn't just what he did physically it was all that he said to me that mentally impacted me . After 3 years of being with a man that didn't even love me , he just loved the fact of hurting me and knowing I would would going back to him because I had fallen for the guy that I knew before all the abuse . Staying seemed easy but living like that was harder and sure I tried leaving sooner but he had convinced my family that it was just a big misunderstanding when really it wasn't. I was scared not only of him but what he would do to not only me but to my family if I had told them what he had done. So I went back things seemed okay for more then a month which normally by a month , he would get violent again . Not only was this guy controlling and violent but he also controlled the money I had been making from working because I owed him money for just being with him in his mind . After the first time I tried leaving I had finally gotten the strength to leave for good , I took only the few clothes I had which wasn't much because I wasn't allowed to have things that I wanted or liked . He tried to convince my family again but I had told my mom what actually was happening and why I didn't want to go back . Leaving him was the best thing I ever did , it felt like a huge boulder had lifted off of me . But the hardest part which I still battle is the pain from inside that he had put on me from all the mind games , to harming my pets and telling me that no one was allowed to love me . To all the cruel words and making me feel worthless . But it's something I will get through on my own because it's a battle worth fighting for . After a year of leaving him I started finding my self again and started doing things that I enjoyed doing. The best advice I can give to anyone that is in my situation is leave because they will never change.